Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the main difference between this set and vanilla summoner wars?
Also in terms of expansions are all.cards compatible or specific packs for either master set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Each of the Alliances decks is a hybrid of two of the previously-existing factions. It can use cards from either of the component factions, and can contribute cards to either of them.

All cards are compatible across the game, but deck design needs to be done in-faction, with the notable exceptions of Alliances and Mercenaries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand this correctly I can deck build in alliances using specific decks from either master set but (this is where I'm confused), how can I make sure I'm building correctly in alliances since you can pull from any two decks?
Am I right in assuming I can't build a deck in alliances without having at least two seperate faction decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever played the regular Summoner Wars factions and not the "alliances" factions. But my understanding is that the new factions are a mix of two earlier factions. So the Sand Cloaks are a combination of the Cloaks or Sand Goblins. If you wanted to make your own "Sand Cloak" deck, you could include units from the Cloaks and Sand Goblins if you own those factions. I don't think you need to own both. You could have a Sand Cloak deck made up just of Sand Goblins I think. I'm not too sure of the deckbuilding rules, but the idea is that those previous units can be added into the "alliance" unit deck if you are making your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Alliances supplies eight full, ready-to-play decks, each of which includes alliances units that belong to two factions. You can play with the Alliances set as a standalone game, or integrate it with any of the other SW offerings.

For example: The Deep Benders Alliance Summoner Endrich has champions and commons in his deck that can be used in either the Deep Dwarves deck of Tundle from the original Master Set (or the 2nd Summoner Deep Dwarves deck of Brath) or the Master Set Benders deck of Tacullu (or the 2nd Summoner Benders deck of Shiva). Likewise, Endrich can use units from those Summoners' decks in his own.

The basic gameplay rules with Alliances decks are no different than any other Summoner Wars decks. Note too: No Summoner Wars products repeat the content of any other. So the decks sold individually (six of the original Summoners and all of the Second Summoners) are not included in either Master Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...but since i own alliances I wouldn't have to buy vanilla summoner wars correct? I like to have a few extra packs on hand for when I'm ready to deck build. I like options. So there is no hard rule as to how to combine summons from any deck to makeup your own?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There are various factions in SW: We'll call them A, B, C, D, etc. Each deck in SW has a specific summoner dedicated to a faction. The first summoners to come out for each faction we'll call A1, B1, C1, D1, etc.

Note that each summoner/deck is self-contained and can be played "as is". And if you deck-build, you take such a deck, leave in that summoner and that summoner's events (and that summoner's starting board units) but all other units can be swapped out.

Some decks/summoners you buy individually. Some you buy in sets of two. Some you can buy in sets that contain several.

Each faction has its own reinforcements you can buy. We'll call those A-R, B-R, C-R, D-R, etc. (Though it's a bit confusing to buy as reinforcement packs have 2 factions of reinforcements. Meaning, buying one reinforcement pack will have both A-R and B-R units).

Also, there are 2nd summoners/decks of each faction: We'll call them A2, B2, C2, D2, etc. You can deck build across decks with the same faction. (Meaning, A1 units can go in A2, and vice-versa. Also, all A-R units can be used in both.)

Alliances are funky, in that factions were combined. For instance, each deck/summoner might be AB, CD, EF, GH, etc. So for deck-building, units from AB can be used in A1, A2, B1, or B2. Likewise, units from A1, A2, B1, and B2 can be used in alliance deck AB. (Also, A-R and B-R units can be used in an AB deck.)

That said...

For a newbie, if you intend to deck-build, I'd get Alliances dead last as it can be a bit confusing and overwhelming. It also makes sorting and finding cards a bit painful, given all the decks a card could be hiding in. And honestly, you'll have plenty of deck-building games/options before you get to that stage.

However, if you don't want to deck build, you can buy anything you want (except all the A-R, B-R, C-R, D-R, etc. reinforcement packs) with minimum confusion, including Alliances. That's because each deck/summoner can be played "as is" right out of the box.

Clear as mud?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol. Think so. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
...but since i own alliances I wouldn't have to buy vanilla summoner wars correct?

Right.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
I like to have a few extra packs on hand for when I'm ready to deck build. I like options. So there is no hard rule as to how to combine summons from any deck to makeup your own?

No, there are very specific rules: Summoners always keep their own events and starting units, only three champions per deck, only sixteen eighteen commons, units must match the faction of the Summoner (or one of the Summoner's factions, if an Alliance Summoner) or be Mercenaries, no more than six Mercenaries per deck. But with those rules stated, there are possibilities for any other SW products to contribute to or draw from the corresponding faction content in Alliances.

If you want to do deck design in SW, I consider Alliances essential: it blows the options wide open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BIgLatinDude wrote:
...but since i own alliances I wouldn't have to buy vanilla summoner wars correct? I like to have a few extra packs on hand for when I'm ready to deck build. I like options. So there is no hard rule as to how to combine summons from any deck to makeup your own?

Each pack in summoner wars is unique, so you won't end up with multiple ones!
If you want the complete collection in order to have as many packs as possible, just buy everything you find for summoner war factions. No fear for duplicate cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner war factions. Ok. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Tricoche
United States
Bronx
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the inserts in the package are to accommodate all the packs then also, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Yerke
United States
kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The inserts are there to keep the various decks (first and second summoners, along with the reinforcement pack cards) separate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Carthoris wrote:
BIgLatinDude wrote:
...but since i own alliances I wouldn't have to buy vanilla summoner wars correct?

Right.

BIgLatinDude wrote:
I like to have a few extra packs on hand for when I'm ready to deck build. I like options. So there is no hard rule as to how to combine summons from any deck to makeup your own?

No, there are very specific rules: Summoners always keep their own events, only three champions per deck, only sixteen commons, units must match the faction of the Summoner (or one of the Summoner's factions, if an Alliance Summoner) or be Mercenaries, no more than six Mercenaries per deck. But with those rules stated, there are possibilities for any other SW products to contribute to or draw from the corresponding faction content in Alliances.

If you want to do deck design in SW, I consider Alliances essential: it blows the options wide open.

It's 18 not 16 commons, but you need to count the units the summoner starts with on the board too, so you won't be able to deck build all 18.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.