9 Posts

Potion Explosion: The Fifth Ingredient» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dram of Poltergeist Sweat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tabletop Teammate
msg tools
Hi gamers!

Just picked up the expansion on Saturday and love it. During gameplay, of of my gamers wanted to get more clarification around the Dram of Poltergeist Sweat power.

The rules states:

Steal 1 Ingredient from 1 opponent's Pool, then Exchange it with the Ghastly Cauldron.

So, here's how we've played this potion:

1. Pick a gamer and choose 1 marble from his/her pool. Take it and add it to your hand.
2. Replace 1 ghostly marble from the Cauldron with the 1 stolen marble.
3. Take 1 reward token to satisfy the Cauldron exchange.
4. Do as you wish with the ghostly marble (ie - put on a potion, put in Pool, etc).

Let me know if this is the correct interpretation of the rules on this potion. Thanks and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That's how I read it. Fun expansion, my group wants the cauldron in every game. They really hate it if I do random draw if potions and professors and don't get any cauldron play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alluvian
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. Do as you wish with the ghostly marble (ie - put on a potion, put in Pool, etc).

I don't think you can put ghostly marbles on your pool (assuming you mean the desk flask?) unless you have no spaces left on potions.

Page 8 version 1.2 rules wrote:
First, you must place any Ingredients in your hand on the matching empty
holes of the same color on any Potion tiles brewing on your Desk, if
possible (a yellow marble goes on a yellow hole, etc.). Once an Ingredient
has been placed on a Potion tile, it cannot be moved until the Potion is
complete.

If you have Ingredient marbles in hand that you cannot place on any Potion
tile in your Brewing area, you must place those Ingredients in the small
retort flask on your Desk. This is called your Ingredient Pool. During your
turn, you may freely move Ingredients between your Pool and your hand.

I read the above as stating that a wildcard marble would HAVE to go on a potion. It is a BIT muddy because the first section references matching colors, which does not really apply, although the second part seems to make it clear that you must place them on potions if you can.

This is a rule I missed in the manual until I played the App, then ran to the rulebook sure they got rule wrong in order to find out I was playing it incorrectly.

It is pretty rare you would want to put a marble on the desk unless you wanted to use the potion of prismatic joy on it anyway, and that potion does nothing for the ghost marbles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion is a lot of fun! So far we've been using all the new potions + 2 random ones, so we get to use the Cauldron.

We've been playing that a wild ingredient has to be played in a potion if possible as per the potion placing rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
As I understand it, at any time during your turn you may freely decide for each ghost marble which colour it currently represents. That would mean that you could easily pick a colour you can not use in any potion at the moment and would be perfectly legally allowed to store it in your ingredient pool. There may be very few situations where this might actually be preferable.

However, if you would now steal that ghost marble from my pool, using the poltergeist, would it still be exchanged with the cauldron for another ghost marble? (I'd rule yes.) What if there are no ghost marbles in the cauldron left? Would you need to exchange it for a non-ghost marble? (I'd rule yes as well.)

Another however: Pretty much border-case rules lawyering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Pra'
Italy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TabletopTeammate wrote:
Hi gamers!

Just picked up the expansion on Saturday and love it. During gameplay, of of my gamers wanted to get more clarification around the Dram of Poltergeist Sweat power.

The rules states:

Steal 1 Ingredient from 1 opponent's Pool, then Exchange it with the Ghastly Cauldron.

So, here's how we've played this potion:

1. Pick a gamer and choose 1 marble from his/her pool. Take it and add it to your hand.
2. Replace 1 ghostly marble from the Cauldron with the 1 stolen marble.
3. Take 1 reward token to satisfy the Cauldron exchange.

Let me know if this is the correct interpretation of the rules on this potion. Thanks and happy gaming!

Your interpretation is correct!

As many already pointed out, though, if you have empty holes on your potions, and a white marble in hand, you must place it. It doens't make a lot of sense to store it in your pool anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In one game, an opponent did happen to have a white marble in her pool, and I used the Dram O' Sweat to take it, exchange it in the Cauldron for another, and then played that to finish one of my potions! ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabletop Teammate
msg tools
Hey there, thanks for the response!

So, if I have a white marble in my hand and have already completed both potions, may I place that white marble in the Pool for future use?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you may. That is the only way to get it in your pool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.