6 Posts

5-Minute Dungeon» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Clarification Needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Decker Twelve

California
msg tools
Just got 5 minute dungeon and played a couple of rounds with my kid. We had some questions:

We had problems where we'd reach a door card and neither of us had any cards we could play. Both of us picked heroes that we couldn't use an ability to discard cards. What do we do? I don't see any rules about just straight discarding cards.

The skull door cards. Do you take them out of the deck before shuffling the door cards? Meaning for a 2 player game there will always be a maximum of 4 mini bosses? Or are you supposed to keep all the other ones in the deck before shuffling?

Speaking of shuffling, is it me or is there a lot of after-round shuffling and sorting because all the cards get mixed up?

With a two player game are you supposed to shuffle say all the Red and Yellow cards together, or are you supposed to put the Red deck "on top" of the yellow deck, meaning all Reds get played first?

When discarding, you should place your cards face down or face up? Being able for everyone to see what your top card is seems to be advantageous.

We've only played a few rounds but it seems like you may be able to get in a feedback loop of healing and powerful action cards which would greatly reduce the difficulty of the game?

Finally, and again I'm only a few rounds into it, but I genuinely can't imagine getting to and beating even the 3rd boss in 5 minutes. We're barely able to do Boss #2 with about 15 seconds left. We always seem to get more hung up on the collection and discarding of the physical cards over the game play itself, are there any strategies about speeding up the actual card handling without throwing them all over the room?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
you can just play cards out of your hands to free up space to draw more cards. From what I know, the only time you can't do this is on the Main end of dungeon boss.
The idea of the game is that you don't want to waste cards as no cards=defeat. so while its not ideal, it is possible to play (Not discard) cards from your hand when it does not match the door card (not the end boss).

in 2p game, you shuffle two decks together - at least thats what i did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Sjtham wrote:
you can just play cards out of your hands to free up space to draw more cards.

Is this correct? If so, how would you ever get to the losing condition of being unable to match symbols?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheza Moonmaiden
Germany
flag msg tools
decker12 wrote:
We had problems where we'd reach a door card and neither of us had any cards we could play. Both of us picked heroes that we couldn't use an ability to discard cards. What do we do? I don't see any rules about just straight discarding cards.

The rules state this as one of the losing conditions.

Quote:
The skull door cards. Do you take them out of the deck before shuffling the door cards? Meaning for a 2 player game there will always be a maximum of 4 mini bosses? Or are you supposed to keep all the other ones in the deck before shuffling?

The 'skull door cards' are called 'challenge cards'. There's a table on the backside of each boss card stating how many door cards and how many challenge cards you use. And that means you have to separate them after each round.

Quote:
Speaking of shuffling, is it me or is there a lot of after-round shuffling and sorting because all the cards get mixed up?

Yes.

Quote:
With a two player game are you supposed to shuffle say all the Red and Yellow cards together, or are you supposed to put the Red deck "on top" of the yellow deck, meaning all Reds get played first?

No. You shuffle both decks together. Each deck contains a resource type that is more common than the rest. If you shuffle both decks together, you make sure that two resource types are more common.

Quote:
When discarding, you should place your cards face down or face up? Being able for everyone to see what your top card is seems to be advantageous.

Face up. (see the special ability rules section)

Quote:
We've only played a few rounds but it seems like you may be able to get in a feedback loop of healing and powerful action cards which would greatly reduce the difficulty of the game?

Action cards you use are not discarded to your discard pile. You play them to the center of the table just like resource cards.

Quote:
Finally, and again I'm only a few rounds into it, but I genuinely can't imagine getting to and beating even the 3rd boss in 5 minutes. We're barely able to do Boss #2 with about 15 seconds left. We always seem to get more hung up on the collection and discarding of the physical cards over the game play itself, are there any strategies about speeding up the actual card handling without throwing them all over the room?

Determine one player to flip the door cards over and another one to sweep away and pile up the cards used to defeat the monster/challenge.

Also: Don't be afraid to lose cards! F.e. if two or more players play the same resource card simultaneously, don't discuss who loses the card. It's better to lose both cards and keep on going.

Try to pick at least one character who has the ability to let other players draw cards and make full use of the special abilities.

If you've never run out of cards, you're to hesitant with your special abilities.

The 'Stop Time' ability of the Wizard f.e. allows your team to pause the timer, to clean the table up a bit, to discuss who defeats the current monster and how, what special cards to be used - or maybe even more importantly - to discard three cards just to draw new ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheza Moonmaiden
Germany
flag msg tools
Geosphere wrote:
Is this correct? If so, how would you ever get to the losing condition of being unable to match symbols?

At least the german rules are very specific about it: You can't play resource cards this way.

But there's an english rules booklet that stated an exception for the final boss:

Quote:
RULES FOR PLAYING CARDS

A card laid is a card played
[...]
..except when facing a Boss:
Once you get to the Dungeon Boss, you are not allowed to play Resource Cards that don’t match the boss’ symbols. [...]

And this seems to imply that you can lay down wrong resource cards to consider them played... allowing you to draw new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McClover
msg tools
So, is there any final clarification on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.