toast
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
After spending countless hours on this project over the past week I am presenting my results in organizing Gloomhaven. After noticing that the cards don't fit back into the character tuck boxes once sleeved, I realized I didn't like any of the commercially available solutions and decided to come up with my own.

I build foamcore inserts for all of my games, but this one was by far the most ambitious project so far after Star Wars: Imperial Assault, Mage Knight, and a ridiculously elegant solution for Puerto Rico (which I have, of course, never played since).

The insert needed to meet the following design principles:
- Fits all of the components except for the empty character tuck boxes
- All cards fit when sleeved (Premium sleeves, 100 microns thick)
- Box lid closes completely
- Curved bottoms for token trays where useful
- Individual components and trays are easily lifted out
- Card trays are 4-5 mm higher than the cards to fit card dividers
- Some trays for which this is not required are not removable from the box in order to save space

I'll keep the (eventually useless) tuck boxes somewhere else until I've unlocked all of the characters.

I didn't even try to design this on paper and in my head, and decided to learn SketchUp instead. The SketchUp file and PDF plans contain all final exact measurements of all the trays that I've actually built.

Link to the SketchUp file
Link to PDF Plans - thanks, Sjtham!

Everything is going to fit back into the box once I've unlocked all of the characters. The bottom of the box is black paper, not foamcore, and the trays for character modifier decks, character ability cards, and the miniature tuck boxes are glued directly onto it since I would never want to remove these trays for gameplay anyway.

Some inspiration was taken from the Broken Token organizer which has a lot of similarities in the upper portion of the box, and from which I adopted the way to organize the map tiles.

I still need to create card dividers that I like and that will fit, but I don't know when I'll come around to doing so, so here are the pictures:

• [+] Dice rolls
J Moeller
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gloomhaven Foamcore Insert - fits all Components sleeved - Box Lid closes completely (Sketchup File pending upload)
This makes me happy. Especially since my recent game purchases preclude buying one of the other nice, but expensive commercial alternatives.

Bravo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gloomhaven Foamcore Insert - fits all Components sleeved - Box Lid closes completely (Sketchup File pending upload)
Wow, that is impressive.

Out of curiosity: How long did you take to design and assemble your solution?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toast
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Gloomhaven Foamcore Insert - fits all Components sleeved - Box Lid closes completely (SketchUp File pending upload)
I'm not quite sure, but I think it must've been around the 50-60 hour mark roughly equally split between designing and building the thing (I'm really slow in crafting these). This includes learning how to use SketchUp. I ended up having to redesign the entire thing after not finding any black 3 mm foam core while shopping which I wanted for a small number of trays, as the box lid would've been raised by a bit using 5 mm thickness. The second time took at least as long as the first time, as it was even more difficult to cram everything in there.

It's a tight fit and some components gave me real trouble because there never seemed to be a great place for them, e.g. the pads, HP/XP dials, and monster stat cards/sheets. Additionally, it would've made my life a lot easier had I had all of the components in front of me already, but a lot of them are still waiting to be unlocked.

That being said, I'm really happy to finally have this project completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kessel
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So, I'm super interested. How does one go about building/printing/constructing it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toast
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Gloomhaven Foamcore Insert - fits all Components sleeved - Box Lid closes completely (SketchUp File pending upload)
Here's a helpful thread on the topic:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/924190/need-help-making-foa...

I strongly advise you to pick a smaller game as your first project though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen Top
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are the best! I am considering building my own insert, but without the game I can´t make any plans, looks like this way I won´t have to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max S
msg tools
mbmb
Very nice work, looking forward to see the plans. How many square meters of foamcore did you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, impressive. not even close to the one I have made

I am curious to know how you do the curved bottoms - that's a very cool touch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bille mann
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

me too wants to know how to do these curved bottoms :-).
And will you please post some pdfs of the inlays; with measurements.

Greets
Philipp

PS: Top inlay. Really impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
22764636 wrote:

It looks like a strip of cardboard glued to the base at the centre and on each side at the top, which then forms a natural semi circle. Zoom in on the highest resolution photo and you should be able to make it out. That is a very elegant design.

Have a look at this colourful example I found:

From this Geeklist - Penguinised's Adventures in Foamcore - see the Roll for the Galaxy entry for instructions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toast
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
carrot87 wrote:
You are the best! I am considering building my own insert, but without the game I can´t make any plans, looks like this way I won´t have to.

Currently my SketchUp plans don't include the exact measurements for the distances between walls separating different bits within each tray, so you'd still have to wait for your copy to arrive to put those in. The reason is that it's not possible to decide on dimensions before actually putting the components into a tray, as only then you can really see how much space everything requires. I inserted the walls such that I could get out everything about equally well, so I made up those cuts on the fly. But I suppose I could measure all of those and add it to the file at some point if people agree that'd be useful.

MaxSchnepf wrote:
Very nice work, looking forward to see the plans. How many square meters of foamcore did you need?

Thank you. A little more than one. whistle I was not very economical with this one though and left a lot of scraps.

22764636 wrote:

You take a piece of thick paper (I used 300 g/m² thickness) and fold the end of it over the edge of a 5 mm foamcore piece. Then you carefully roll it so that it gets into a 'U'-shape, but don't bend it too hard or you will get creases.

Now put it into the tray to determine the length it needs to have. The unfolded end of it will hang over the other side of the tray. Push it against the wall where the first fold is, and press the paper against the bottom to bend it into its final shape. Then fold the other end over the other edge and cut off the excess paper.

Apply glue to the ends and liberally over the underside of the paper. Press it into the tray and bend it back into shape. This part is a bit tricky, as the paper usually won't want to stick to the foamcore too well in the shape that you want it to have, so it takes some time. But if you press it against it long enough it will eventually comply.

Lastly, insert the wall separating this compartment from the others. It's important to do this now rather than sooner to get the best looking results.

billemann wrote:
And will you please post some pdfs of the inlays; with measurements.

Creating PDFs is a good idea, but I can't promise when I'll get around to doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toastp13pm4tz wrote:

[...]
Lastly, insert the wall separating this compartment from the others. It's important to do this now rather than sooner to get the best looking results.
[...]

when you say "insert the wall separating this compartment from the others" are you referring to the longer side walls please?

thanks a lot for your explanation, other than the part above it was very clear!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toast
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
No, I mean the small inner walls. I usually cut the tray and glue the four outer sides to it to get the basic shape, and then I make the curved bottoms and insert the inner walls to make the one large compartment into several small compartments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toastp13pm4tz wrote:
No, I mean the small inner walls. I usually cut the tray and glue the four outer sides to it to get the basic shape, and then I make the curved bottoms and insert the inner walls to make the one large compartment into several small compartments.

ok so you cut the paper the width you need it to be, glue it to the outer walls and then you glue the inner walls separating the various compartments.

makes sense now, thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Brennan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eternally
badge
Deluded
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gloomhaven Foamcore Insert - fits all Components sleeved - Box Lid closes completely - SketchUp File available!
Beautiful work! Absolutely inspiring. I was going to buy an insert given the size of this behemoth but the postage prices to the UK are pretty inhibitive on my budget. This gives me hope that I can have a beautiful storage solution with a personal touch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Gloomhaven Foamcore Insert - fits all Components sleeved - Box Lid closes completely - SketchUp File available!
lbrennan85 wrote:
Beautiful work! Absolutely inspiring. I was going to buy an insert given the size of this behemoth but the postage prices to the UK are pretty inhibitive on my budget. This gives me hope that I can have a beautiful storage solution with a personal touch!

Quoting for truth. I ordered my foamcore and cutter after reading up on this last night and realizing how dirt-cheap foamcore is, compared to most custom solutions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Perry
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
lbrennan85 wrote:

Quoting for truth. I ordered my foamcore and cutter after reading up on this last night and realizing how dirt-cheap foamcore is, compared to most custom solutions.

Yeah, but 50-60 hours of build time is quite the investment too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toast
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
vaderizer wrote:

That includes designing it which you won't have to do. Depending on how meticulously you cut and assemble it you could be a lot faster than that - I'm particularly slow. Maybe someone who attempts this themselves could let us know how long they needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vaderizer wrote:

Not a drawback at all. It means I've got something to keep my hands busy while the missus and I watch TV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandyn
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
That's awesome! Anyone try to 3D print this with the sketch up file? Might convert this and give it a shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
booshmeister169 wrote:
Might convert this and give it a shit.

You really need to be that rude, though?

(Assuming that you wanted to write "give it a try" and have the worst autocorrect ever )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
booshmeister169 wrote:

(Assuming that you wanted to write "give it a try" and have the worst autocorrect ever )
I assume he meant 'shot'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
t3clis wrote:
booshmeister169 wrote:

I assume he meant 'shot'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grominx
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is looking great! Nice work!

Would it be possible to get PDF files instead of the Sketchup version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.