United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Just made a trade for the basic Thunderstone set plus I found a copy of Thunderstorm Heart of Doom at a antique store of all places.

Now comes step two...what would that be? I know about Thunderstone Advanced and I read that it "integrates" with the original Thunderstone. So here are my questions and I have done some reading in the forums here but there are a lot of threads and many from 2012 and such. I know the state of Thunderstone has changed over time. So I'm just trying to get my sea legs so to speak as I think this is actually a game my wife might enjoy and I want to get it all set right before I spring this on her.

d10-1 Will the sets I just got truly integrate with Thunderstone Advanced?

d10-2 What is the first Thunderstone Advanced set I should get? Towers of Ruin?

d10-3 What are the current rules for Thunderstone and for Thunderstone Advanced?

d10-4 While I have you here feel free to suggest another deck building card game. Don't bother mentioning Dominion, Ascention or Legendary. Already very familiar with those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There is another Thunderstone after advanced if you didn’t know, just a heads up. Not sure if it integrates with the older versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
thebobymon wrote:
There is another Thunderstone after advanced if you didn’t know, just a heads up. Not sure if it integrates with the older versions.

Thunderstone Quest does NOT integrate with older versions of the game.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Davis
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other Deckbuilders that I like:
Clank!
Rune Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure I would invest in the original Thunderstone. If, then Thunderstone Advance (which was more refined and tweaked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rice
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just personal preference, but I have no interest in mixing the original with advance. If you want to incorporate the revised rules that would be fine (the prepare action is a good addition), but the original is such a cool game, with enough content to keep anyone busy for hundreds of plays, that I don't feel the need. Again, this is my preference.

To answer what's next, try to get Wrath of the Elements....it "completes" the Base Set with the Guardian and Traps (and comes with the dividers you need to keep things straight).

Check out my Simple Solo Thunderstone rules to play anytime you like.

Explore the game and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Great response David which leaves me the question of do I pursue Advanced Thunderstone or Thunderstone in the future. Do people actually have both and play both separately? I think I'll snag Wrath of the Elements and if the wife enjoys it keep an eye out for Advanced Tower of Ruin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rice
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at the original Thunderstone and Thunderstone Advance as two separate but equal games. While they can be combined (and AEG even released a document on how to combine the games), Advance changed the look of the cards to make it too obvious a difference (again, my personal preference). Advance also changes all the enemy and village cards, but they pretty much just made new cards/names/art with the same stats....gameplay is the same.

They also changed the starting deck cards (longspear replaces dagger, thunderstone shards replace iron rations, Regular replaces Militia, and torch remains the same) and made the new starting cards a bit more powerful.

And as stated, the "Prepare" action is probably the best addition in to Advance (hold a card back from your current hand, to add to your next hand). Luckily, this is easily and seamlessly available to play with the original rules, and I do this myself now in all games.

Another thing to consider is that Thunderstone Advance (as well as the original) is out-of-print...and Advance is going for some outlandish prices. Original had so many copies made that it can still be found relatively easily (although Dragonspire has gotten really expensive). Wrath of the Elements and Doomgate Legion (the other must-have set IMHO) are mostly available if you are needing them.

Oh, and as an FYI....if aren't able to find Dragonspire (that set included the dungeon board and XP token counters) then you should print off and laminate one of the homebrew dungeon boards in the Files section. A few of them really add to the flavor of the game. Also, don't use the XP cards in the original....go to the dollar store and get some glass crafting stones. Again, a simple addition to your gameplay and very thematic.

Hope this helps! Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick one edition of the game and stick with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devon Harmon
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
Do people actually have both and play both separately?

Yes, I do. The best times I've had with the game were playing it solo, later in the life of the first edition. I still keep it around and take it out for a spin, but almost always solo. If I'm going to be playing with others, I use Thunderstone Advance, as it tends to be a more forgiving system. I also have an additional set of Thunderstone Advance that I keep set up for the epic variant. That being said, I still prefer normal mode to epic play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.