Hide
19 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Can I enjoy this without a large time commitment? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Talisman Rulz
msg tools

I searched but didn't see an obvious answer to this question, but can I enjoy this game without a large time commitment?

I probably do not have the time for researching how to build the best decks, for example.

If I played on "easy" mode how many hours would it take to complete the base game?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are suggested starting decks for all the investigators to date, so you can use those instead of constructing a custom deck.

Alternatively you can look at the decks on ArkhamDB and use one of those.

From memory, I think the 3 base game scenarios took, on average, perhaps an hour to an hour and a half, each, so maybe 3.5 to 4 hours total for the entire campaign.

I'm still playing through the Dunwich campaign, so I'm not sure about total playing time for that, but based on what we've done so far I'd say the average scenario length is about the same, and that is an 8 scenario campaign in full.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've played, I think Scott is right with saying allow about 60-90 min per scenario, so the core set campaign of 3 scenarios is probably 3-4.5 hrs for a complete run-through.

But that's just 1 run-through - you can have that again with different investigators/decks/deck randomisation etc and may want to to get better/different outcomes (as it's not just a case of win or lose).

If you aren't worried about trying to min-max a deck, then you just aren't worried. There's no problem (and very little time taken) using the suggested starting decks, decks from Arkhamdb or the starting decks just tweaked a tiny bit. Certainly if you've no time for this, don't worry about it.

Essentially there's many, many hours-worth of play that comes in 60-90min chunks and lets you play one-offs in a single chunk or a full campaign in 3 chunks (8 chunks for the campaign cycles).

So, time-wise, not that different to many boardgames - but with a campaign linking up play sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I play about once a week, for 75 to 90 minutes. I might do another 30 minutes of deck prep and collection organizing outside of that. It doesn't seem like a terribly demanding game to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Conder
United States
O Fallon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with the previous comments. You don't need to invest a lot of time tweaking your investigator decks to enjoy the game. Play the base game scenarios with the suggested decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
You certainly could complete the base game in probably 4 hours.... well, that is once you've got a good handle on the rules and everything. It's not like a video game where if you do poorly on a scenario you get a "Game Over" and have to replay the scenario for a better result (you could do this anyway, but it's not how the game suggests you play). You just go on regardless of how well you do. If you were successful you build power, if you are unsuccessful you might acquire some hinderances, and then the final scenario is winner-take-all.

So that's completion. But your title was -could you enjoy the game without a large time commitment. Well... that depends on you. If you don't really care much about building decks... probably you would. For many players, a huge part of the enjoyment of the game comes from tweaking decks in an attempt to get better performance.

To be frank, if you 100% are not interested in that sort of deck building, another game might be a better fit for you. Try the Attack on Titan deck building game, it's very good, I highly recommend it, especially for fans of Attack on Titan.... but even for those who are not fans of Attack on Titan. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle can be fun if you enjoy the theme and are willing to look past a few frustrations. Xenoshyft Onslaught and/or Xenoshyft Dreadmire is another deckbuilding game that is quite enjoyable with a sort of sci-fi-ish Starship Troopers feel. All of these are co-op deckbuilding games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
awp832 wrote:
You certainly could complete the base game in probably 4 hours.... well, that is once you've got a good handle on the rules and everything. It's not like a video game where if you do poorly on a scenario you get a "Game Over" and have to replay the scenario for a better result (you could do this anyway, but it's not how the game suggests you play). You just go on regardless of how well you do. If you were successful you build power, if you are unsuccessful you might acquire some hinderances, and then the final scenario is winner-take-all.

So that's completion. But your title was -could you enjoy the game without a large time commitment. Well... that depends on you. If you don't really care much about building decks... probably you would. For many players, a huge part of the enjoyment of the game comes from tweaking decks in an attempt to get better performance.

To be frank, if you 100% are not interested in that sort of deck building, another game might be a better fit for you. Try the Attack on Titan deck building game, it's very good, I highly recommend it, especially for fans of Attack on Titan.... but even for those who are not fans of Attack on Titan. Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle can be fun if you enjoy the theme and are willing to look past a few frustrations. Xenoshyft Onslaught and/or Xenoshyft Dreadmire is another deckbuilding game that is quite enjoyable with a sort of sci-fi-ish Starship Troopers feel.

Obviously whether the OP can enjoy it depends on their personal preferences, but, imo, it's a little misleading to place such emphasis on the deck building side.

My impression of posts on AH:TCG is that many people enjoy it more because of the Arkham files (pulp Cthulhu) theme and story. The deck building is less important than most deck building games (partly as the deck evolves/develops very slowly between scenarios in a campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
if the OP likes the Arkham Files, then I'd suggest Arkham Horror instead. Eldrich Horror is also popular but I personally prefer Arkham. There is also Mansions of Madness. Games of these are a bit longer however, so maybe that is an issue. Elder Sign if they want it a bit lighter (I'm not that big on Elder Sign. But it's Arkham Files and it is shorter).

My point was that for someone with little to no interest in researching and building decks, there are probably other games out there that will be more enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
awp832 wrote:
My point was that for someone with little to no interest in researching and building decks, there are probably other games out there that will be more enjoyable.

I think your point was understood, and I'll be the second to disagree with you. I had my first few plays with the suggested decks in the core set, and I was already having most of the sorts of fun I've enjoyed from the game since. Until you've collected a fair number of expansions, there's little room for real creativity in deck design in this game, and real optimization is unnecessary since the chaos bag difficulty can be adjusted to compensate. (It's not a competitive game; the point is to find an enjoyable level of challenge rather than to defeat an opponent.)

On the contrary, I think if someone comes to this game thinking it will offer lots of opportunities to really get into deck design with a wide and flexible pool of cards, they are likely to be disappointed. I really enjoyed deck design in Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game, and though I hoped Arkham Horror: The Card Game might, this newer game just doesn't scratch that itch. On the other hand, it has very different features to recommend it. (CoC was poor at supplying a narrative experience, for example.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Once you are used to it, setup and take down are only a few minutes a piece.

If you are soloing and you are pretty familiar with the game (and your character) then a scenario laid out, played and put away under an hour is usually achievable.

You can find a deck to build on Arkham DB, along with upgrade suggestions.

I would not recommend Arkham Horror as an alternative as the quickest two player I ever managed was 90 minutes - and that isn't including the monstrous setup time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
awp832 wrote:
if the OP likes the Arkham Files, then I'd suggest Arkham Horror instead. Eldrich Horror is also popular but I personally prefer Arkham. There is also Mansions of Madness. Games of these are a bit longer however, so maybe that is an issue. Elder Sign if they want it a bit lighter (I'm not that big on Elder Sign. But it's Arkham Files and it is shorter).

I'd never suggest Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror to someone worried about time constraints! Excellent games but I've had AH games take up to 7-8hrs and EH up to about 5hrs - and they can easily take 4 and 3hrs.

Just saying that they are 'a bit longer' is underselling how long they can take (compared to 60-90min for AH:TCG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Caldwell
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely don't have to do a deep dive into deck construction for this game, which I like (LotR LCG was just TOO deck construction-y for me). You basically are picking an investigator and going through 3 piles of cards (your main color, secondary color and neutral).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
JudgementDave wrote:

I'd never suggest Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror to someone worried about time constraints! Excellent games but I've had AH games take up to 7-8hrs and EH up to about 5hrs - and they can easily take 4 and 3hrs.

Just saying that they are 'a bit longer' is underselling how long they can take (compared to 60-90min for AH:TCG).

I mean it depends. If the concern is total time invested not just in play but also in out-of-game dedication, playing a game of Arkham every once in a while is fine. If his concern is time at the table, it's not fine. Although if you have space you can just leave a game of arkham set-up, play some turns and put it on "pause" when you're ready to do something else.

7-8 hours.... I don't know what was going on there. Many expansions, lots of players who were taking their time, is my guess. Just base game arkham you can play in 3, so long as you're not doing like a 5+ player game. Eldrich as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
This LCG has the least deckbuilding. You can go with starter decks and upgrade to more powerful cards as you proceed through a campaign.

If you have two cores you'll be able to do a test run and see which cards work for you, then optimise the starter deck for a real run. If you just go with the one core and occasionally buy into expansions there's practically no thinking involved. You just play a scenario, spend the few XP you get on card upgrades and move on to the next scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talisman Rulz
msg tools

I appreciate everyone's replies - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrice lalet
France
Carcassonne
Aude
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavy rules, i don't think it is easy to go in it with only some short time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
ultralala wrote:
Heavy rules, i don't think it is easy to go in it with only some short time.

Firdt time isn’t, but you get faster. Then again, are there any games where you don’t have to learn rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So glad I found this. Was looking into coop games that play relatively quick and don't take forever to set up. Dark Gothic is a game I own, along with Colonial Horror, and I can get a game of that completed in under 60 min.

IDK why, but any game that runs well over an hour starts to wear on me. Sounds like this game would wear on me just setting up, but definitely when playing. Looks fun if I had a large enough gaming group and was more serious, but for my wife and I playing casually it's a pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
From what I've played, I think Scott is right with saying allow about 60-90 min per scenario, so the core set campaign of 3 scenarios is probably 3-4.5 hrs for a complete run-through.

I think this is right for a 2 player game. For 3 players our experience has been more like 2 hours and our 4 player runs have been closer to 3 hours. The more players the more complex it is to plan each turn and decide who should do what when, so each additional player adds more time than the last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.