Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing Masher/White Wing. This is in Vassal.

The FWA player is deciding how to deploy his 1st Cav. He has opted for the third deployment (3 infantry battalions with no HQ).

So he has flipped the battalion counters to their reverse sides, and removed the corresponding HQ counters.

However, there's this one remaining HQ left on the board. It's the "division-size" (XX) HQ, 0-8-6. We can't figure out what the hell it's for. There are 3 other HQ counters which clearly correspond to the 1st cav regiments. This one seems like an anomaly? But I'm sure it's not. Can anyone explain please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:
I'm playing Masher/White Wing. This is in Vassal.

The FWA player is deciding how to deploy his 1st Cav. He has opted for the third deployment (3 infantry battalions with no HQ).

So he has flipped the battalion counters to their reverse sides, and removed the corresponding HQ counters.

However, there's this one remaining HQ left on the board. It's the "division-size" (XX) HQ, 0-8-6. We can't figure out what the hell it's for. There are 3 other HQ counters which clearly correspond to the 1st cav regiments. This one seems like an anomaly? But I'm sure it's not. Can anyone explain please?

That’s your Division HQ. I believe you get it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem pretty clear that the "third deployment" doesn't get any HQ. We went over it a few times. I wondered if maybe this is an exception for 1st Cav specifically, but couldn't find that anywhere.

Does this Division HQ get placed all the time, no matter what deployment you choose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I just checked the rules. The deployments are for brigades only. You always get the Div HQ

That’s why the section is titled Brigade Level Formations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deployment modes only affect brigade level units. The division level units (division HQ, armored cav) are always available regardless of deployment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, there are often Divisional level Armour units with most FWA Divisions that also are not brigaded. The US 23rd Div. has a Divisional level artillery unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris District
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone! This has been a beast to learn, especially for my first real wargame...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
District wrote:
Thanks everyone! This has been a beast to learn, especially for my first real wargame...

I bought this as a teenager from a bookstore back in the day. It was my first wargame too. And you're right. It was a beast to learn, but worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.