11 Posts

Anachrony» Forums » General

Subject: Some complain when I own this game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boxy Huang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Don't get me wrong, Anachrony is a great game to me. Solid mechanism of double worker placement, creative concept of time traveling, these all give us a great time in the evening. Because of such a great game it is, I care this game and need to complain the flaws that disturb our experience seriously.

I am not an artist, nor artistic critics I am. But even some may find this insulting, I really need to say the characters are ugly. In fact, the architectures and background look fantastic which make the players immerse into the apocalyptic world, so I use the word "ugly" instead of "unsatisfactory" bcause I don't mean "Well the architectures looks SUPER but the character are... Meh..." No, I mean ugly, which has stoped me from purchasing twice before. The posture and the facial expressions remind me the first few months I learn drawing. Characters standing still with a smiley face like a kids, no matter a peaceful leftist, an atlantic autocrat or a cult leader he is. Ok... let me calm down... Maybe professional would argue for this unique art style, but please, I am a filthy little scum who know nothing about art and I would rather like an ordinary art style.

For the components in this game, I certainly have more to say. After a game or two, one might already find this game filled with components , tiny components , non user friendly components, unnecessary components , and more and more components. Here are some example.

Tiny components, in fact there are only two in the game. Most tiles are huge. I can understand, people just love large components from kickstarter. But I swear I will loss the morale tokens and time travel tokens soon. Why would they design such a tiny token when every other things are just so bulky. And they even make it out of paper, not making a sound when you just accidentally sweeping them down the floor.

And searching through the piles of breakthrough tiles is also a poor experience for my play group. On average, I guess most player would only take 2-3 breakthrough tokens through out the game, which mean most other are not even used. However, every time you take them, you need to search for the specific one from this piles, one out of fifteen. There should be some more comfortable ways to do this.

Since I don't have a car myself, I usually need to put the game into my backpack when I need to take it out to my playgroup. When I come to anachrony, the amount of component are sometimes an extra burden. so one day I try to take away some unnecessary part from the game, turn out it is quite effective. An impressive amount of components fall under my category of "leave them at home". For example the only function of a path banner is to state you are the starting player. The whole point is "Look! My flag is waving on the collapsing world council!" We finally decide to use a free action path token insread.

Another components I want to mention is the forbidden token put after the impact. I understand they want to remind the players those space are not allowed to be used anymore, but aren't the symbol on the original board enough? If they want to make this obvious, they could have make the whole hexagon different in color. I used to believe there method to remove these token or they would just move into other spaces, but no, they are just fixed there every game after the impact.

It seems turn out I criticized too much, but hey, I didn't say anything about the core game rules. The game itself is amazing and I just want the design and art reach an equivalent level. If they would ever release a 2nd edition of this game, I am sure one of them will get into my collection.

[PS: Maybe I will upload some photo later.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the art... I am also not crazy about the character art while i think the rest is great. I think the characters look somewhat unnatural.

As for the components... I dont really have any complaints. I guess they could have made the time travel and morale tracks a little bigger and could have had cubes to place on them.

The breakthrough tokens dont bother me but maybe something a little more interesting could have been designed. The tokens are functional but after seeing the minis for the exosuits, maybe they could have designed 3d printed pieces thag clicked together to form a unique shape! That would have been really cool but also added an extra $30-50 to the price lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I agree that the art of some of the people leaves a lot to be desired.
Also, the cardboard could be better because the triangular pieces are very delicate at the sharp points.
Or, fewer triangles... But I like their shape.
Everything else seems fine in the base game... But my exo-suits are defective. The workers don't rest flat inside, and can't actually be placed inside two of the green faction's suits. :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boxy Huang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
shooshoo wrote:
About the art... I am also not crazy about the character art while i think the rest is great. I think the characters look somewhat unnatural.

As for the components... I dont really have any complaints. I guess they could have made the time travel and morale tracks a little bigger and could have had cubes to place on them.

The breakthrough tokens dont bother me but maybe something a little more interesting could have been designed. The tokens are functional but after seeing the minis for the exosuits, maybe they could have designed 3d printed pieces thag clicked together to form a unique shape! That would have been really cool but also added an extra $30-50 to the price lol.

You mean a 3D printed break through token? It would be a super deluxe version by that time, something like 3D Settler of Catans, with everything not serve to be functional but to show off.

Brandizzle wrote:
Also, the cardboard could be better because the triangular pieces are very delicate at the sharp points.
Everything else seems fine in the base game... But my exo-suits are defective. The workers don't rest flat inside, and can't actually be placed inside two of the green faction's suits. :/

My exo-suit did have the workers fit well. Maybe the quality control of molding is difficult due to the complicated geometry. Hopefully you can try artificially enlarge the space using sandpaper.

Although the exo-suit looks fancy, they are not put into my display cupboard instead of the game. They are just too large to block the information from the game board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee gamers are whiny...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandizzle wrote:

3D printable triangular tiles (and breakthrough counters) can be found here:
3D printable (STL) replacements for Breakthroughs and all the triangular tiles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Strauss
Germany
Berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I´m trying to get 300 years old, so now I´m a teenager
mbmbmbmbmb
pingo95412 wrote:

You mean a 3D printed break through token? It would be a super deluxe version by that time...

See my post above whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuela
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Let's all have a deep, think-y game... with theme!
badge
Anesthetist by day; gamer by night...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandizzle wrote:
But my exo-suits are defective. The workers don't rest flat inside, and can't actually be placed inside two of the green faction's suits. :/

Ask Mindclash to replace the exosuits that don't allow the workers to fit inside. That's what I did, and they replaced it quickly, no questions asked. I actually got a second copy of the game later on and had the same problem with a Gargoyle exosuit, but I decided to just file the opening wider myself rather than get it replaced. It took some work with a hobby file, but it came out fine. Just takes patience.

As for the workers resting flat, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Like they're crooked side to side? That can also be fixed on your own with a hobby file, but I wouldn't call an exosuit "defective" because of it. It's an aesthetic abnormality, perhaps, but it still functions properly as an exosuit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my exosuits were fine. I remember reading a thread on here that some people put their minis in hot water and then used a butter knife to "mold" the opening while the plastic was soft. They were able to make the slot a little wider and this was supposed to fix the issue. Is that what you're talking about?

Those 3d printed tokens are sick!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laserox has acrylic tokens for Anachrony: https://laserox.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=73
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may invest in a set but it seems pretty pricey. Maybe someone in canada or us will make a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.