Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Have I done the right thing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Glick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I just ordered Signs of Carcosa and Forsaken Lore. How significantly do these improve the game and re-playability?

I'm fairly new to these more complex board games. I've played chess all my life and family standards (Life, Monopoly, Scrabble, etc). Last year I took a chance and got my girlfriend the "Mystery! Motive for Murder." We really enjoyed it but were curious for something more immersive and as horror fans something more horror-ific. So we borrowed Eldritch Horror from a friend and have played through it a handful of times.

We love the game, but already after 6-7 plays we're memorizing cards. Still I pulled the trigger and ordered our own copy of the base game, plus Signs of Carcosa (I'm a huge King in Yellow short stories fan) and Forsaken Lore (I see this expansion come up a lot as a must-have).

So... How am I doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brown
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
If you love the game - you are doing the right thing.

This is my favorite game, and adding the content from the expansions enriches the experience by adding the new encounters, if nothing else.

While some have complained about the bloated nature of the game with the expansion boards, I feel that FF has done a great job with managing the boards - only one expansion board is in play at a given time.

I look forward to each expansion that is created.

Very much enjoy ALL the variability the game has to offer - more! more! more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
You might even want to add more of those expansions! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K New Power
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More is better!
After 3 plays i added 3 of the small expansions
Now the game have more flow, the decks is better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game continues to improve the more you add, imo. There is so much variability alone in the different Ancient Ones and investigators to choose. On top of that all of the decks get larger and larger, so no game will ever play exactly the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You did the right thing. That's a solid set of Expansions and could easily be enough to keep the game fresh for as long as you own it. The only thing still "missing" is Focus, which you could decide to incorporate if you ever start to get frustrated at not having an Action to do where you are, or if you want to make the game a little less difficult. All Focus requires is a generic set of blank tokens (coins, chips, whatever) and the official rules:

As an action, an investigator on any space gains one Focus token.
^ An investigator may spend one Focus token to reroll one die when resolving a test. There is no limit to the number of Focus tokens he can spend to reroll dice.
^ An investigator cannot have more than two Focus tokens.

The Expansions that "officially" add Focus are perfectly good, but you don't need to buy them just to add Focus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You done did good.

have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, and yes, you did the right thing. As others have said, get even more. The more you invest in the game the more you will get out of it. The modular side boards and a few modular mechanics only triggering with certain preludes and AOs keep the game from spilling over your table. Pro tip. Play with random investigators and AOs once you beat each one once. You will never get bored with EH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clair B. Hurt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eithr wrote:
We love the game, but already after 6-7 plays we're memorizing cards. Still I pulled the trigger and ordered our own copy of the base game, plus Signs of Carcosa (I'm a huge King in Yellow short stories fan) and Forsaken Lore (I see this expansion come up a lot as a must-have).

I have every expansion and do not regret it. Each adds more content, investigators, AOs, and enhances the game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.