United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little confused. My wife and I LOVED Season 1, we would both consider it our favorite gaming experience we've ever had.

We just finished March in Season 2 and...we're just not enjoying it. At all.

It's definitely harder, but the difficulty seems way more dependant on card draws (which was always a factor of Pandemic, but just seems worse here). We spent all of March just trying to make sure we reconned South America, even if we ended up losing, and we still weren't able to do it because of a super low volume of yellow pulls mixed with bad infection pulls and no event pulls.

I think the one thing that is frustrating is that in S1, the unlocks weren't tied with things you were doing in game (for the most part), but here, we feel like we're missing out on content because we keep not being able to recon. It's just like, "oh cool, another game where we lost and weren't able to open the next box".

For some reason, even though it is basically the same thing, we're really having trouble delivering supplies versus removing infection cubes. We've never been fans of pick up and deliver games and needing to basically use two actions to put supplies down is killer (unless, of course, you get lucky with, surprise surprise, card pulls).

So, a few questions (please no large spoilers part March):

1. Will we still be able to open the contents of boxes if we keep fucking up recons?

2. How important is keeping population up? Should we be spending end game points to boost 1s to 2s?

3. We haven't been using radio operator. Should we?

4. Any other general strategy recommendations?

We want to love this game... Any help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:

IMO he's the strongest character, so... probably.

Doomburrito wrote:

Delivery is an extra action that you didn't have to do in S1, so if you do Make Supplies only once then Delivery that's 2 actions for 1 cube. Very inefficient (think how hard CODA was to treat in January S1, that's the same action efficiency here). You want to reduce the cost of Delivery by making supplies multiple times prior to delivery. In regular Pandemic and S1 you wanted to use extra actions to start moving towards potential hot spots for your next turn. In S2 I would always use it for Make Supplies instead, as you can bank them for later Delivery, unlike regular Pandemic (where you need to treat in the spot with the cubes).

If you have Radio Operator in play you can even redistribute those Make Supply actions anywhere where they are needed. Radio Operator turn should always be:

1- Gather all the cubes from every character through Transfer Supplies
2- Do your 4 actions
3- Give all remaining supplies on your card to the character(s) that will need them on their turn

Never leave him with cubes at the end of his turn and always make sure the cubes from everybody are where they need to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Edgeler
msg tools
I can't spoil anything after March, because we've only just done March ourselves, but I can offer a possible post-January spolier that might help.

I assume you reconned North American in January.

There was a card in the legacy deck at the start of February which had a scratch off on it, which you probably didn't need to scratch off. This basically said:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
If you didn't get around to reconning North American in January, recon it now, with a small penalty.

I would guess something similar might happen with South America at some point?

As for upgrading cities in population, we have been doing a bit of that. Nothing spoilery, but given the way upgrades work, we decided to try to avoid any city going to zero, as a city can only lose pop in a turn, keeping them at 2 protects them from going to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomburrito wrote:

1. Will we still be able to open the contents of boxes if we keep fucking up recons?

2. How important is keeping population up? Should we be spending end game points to boost 1s to 2s?

1. Try to recon if you can, but setting up supply centers and preventing outbreaks are arguably more important than recon.

2. Preventing 0’s is helpful, but I tended to use end game production on upgrading other things.

3. Radio Operator is amazing without any other abilities.

4. Searching is very helpful. Don’t be afraid of using up your System Wide Production cards - this will thin the deck to help draw what you need, and the month to month dwindling of supplies means they are less helpful later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
Don’t be afraid of using up your System Wide Production cards - this will thin the deck to help draw what you need

Thinning the deck means less time between Epidemics. I would instead suggest keeping as many of these in your deck as possible, at least in the early game. It might be ok to use up some of the ones that have multiple checkboxes, as long as you don't end up destroying the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
TradenMyr wrote:
Don’t be afraid of using up your System Wide Production cards - this will thin the deck to help draw what you need

Thinning the deck means less time between Epidemics. I would instead suggest keeping as many of these in your deck as possible, at least in the early game. It might be ok to use up some of the ones that have multiple checkboxes, as long as you don't end up destroying the card.

Certainly don’t use them up all right away (maybe aim for one check per game), but you are typically connecting more cities in each game, which will exceed the loss, meaning epidemic rates still fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
April spoilers:
After April, additional city cards (on average) make the epidemic rate slightly worse - the padding from non-city cards becomes very helpful then!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryMollusc wrote:
April spoilers:
After April, additional city cards (on average) make the epidemic rate slightly worse - the padding from non-city cards becomes very helpful then!

Package 6 spoilers:

Inoculate helps with that. I was mostly sad to draw produce when I needed City cards. Especially when you can manipulate the number of cities to maximize the epidemic to city ratio. But hey, my group went on a win streak after aggressively producing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hayley Margules Arden
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Doomburrito wrote:

1) Yes

2) I'd say pretty goddamn important, but I also--and this is not passive aggressive, I swear--don't understand the choice to focus on recons even if it means losing, without otherwise minimizing the effect on the board. It was important to my partner and I to keep the populations up, is what I'll say (we've since finished the entire campaign, btw).

3) We only used ours for two games, up to you.

4) Do what you can to keep the board under control. That might mean something different to you than me, but remember that the board persists from game to game. All of this is with the acknowledgement that the board says you have fewer supply cubes for each month after January. Knowing that, do what you can to make it easier for yourself. ALSO, I highly suggest going out of your way to keep your characters as safe as possible. We ended turns on Havens at least 95% of the time, and it was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
MastigosAtLarge wrote:
I also--and this is not passive aggressive, I swear--don't understand the choice to focus on recons even if it means losing, without otherwise minimizing the effect on the board. It was important to my partner and I to keep the populations up, is what I'll say (we've since finished the entire campaign, btw).

Ah, I should clarify that. The idea being, going into the 2nd half of March, we said, okay, if it looks like we're going to lose, we should rush to get a recon finished so that we can at least make some campaign progress. We're always trying to keep population in check in the meantime. My population question was mainly in regards to spending end-game points.

Of course, in that 2nd half game of March, things ended so badly that we didn't even get the chance to think about reconning. Game ended before we could even get a 2nd supply center on the board. No searches, no new cities, nothing.

Part of that was because we had Instanbul with 3 plague cubes (it got two in one draw while we were rushing over to put supplies on it) and we got in an argument about using our card that lets us remove all cubes from a city. Wife didn't want to use it because we wouldn't have it later...Of course, then an outbreak happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Aubuchon
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
In my 2 player game, we have only lost once and we just finished June, and we have never used the radio operator. We use laborer and then a different character each game (dependent on initial infection draws and current state of the board). Radio operator isnt that great to be honest. I recommend instead going to cities that have not been drawn yet at all and taking supplies from there. Redistributing>making in my opinion. Let produce supplies do the hard work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Senser
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
Yes they do.
badge
This isn't my dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
BaneOfSand wrote:
In my 2 player game, we have only lost once and we just finished June, and we have never used the radio operator. We use laborer and then a different character each game (dependent on initial infection draws and current state of the board). Radio operator isnt that great to be honest. I recommend instead going to cities that have not been drawn yet at all and taking supplies from there. Redistributing>making in my opinion. Let produce supplies do the hard work for you.

One thing to note is that the game is much, much easier with 2 players than it is with 4. We've been using 4 characters between the two of us, but we decided that was a bit too hard, so now we're doing 3.

In our last game, we used the Radio Operator and he really pulled through and helped out considerably. We had a pretty good game, won on the last possible turn, but got a lot of stuff done. Still incredibly hard!

I like your idea of taking supplies off places that haven't been pulled, especially if there were already a lot of cards in the discard before an Epidemic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, Radio Operator doesn't do much work in 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
AngryMollusc wrote:
April spoilers:

Package 6 spoilers:

Inoculate helps with that. I was mostly sad to draw produce when I needed City cards. Especially when you can manipulate the number of cities to maximize the epidemic to city ratio. But hey, my group went on a win streak after aggressively producing.

Spoilers for both the above.

This is true, but the effect is actually best when you combine the two - the smaller the deck, the more impact each additional non-city card has on the epidemic density.

(We also haven't dropped a game since unlocking inoculation - player cards aren't really a problem for us though, since we have a bunch of supply centre-related upgrades!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
To be fair, Radio Operator doesn't do much work in 2P.

Really? When we played one game with him (prologue, 2p) he seemed to work well. Basically it means that you don't have to manage cube distribution at all, everyone has all player-created cubes available at all times.

Could also have worked because the Radio operator is the one who got all the produce supplies cards, so he would just send all those over without needing to meet up for it.

Of course, all could change in later games, so not making any judgement there, but he seemed reasonably playable in 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you can ever really set out determined to accomplish one huge goal that's dependent on card draws. We didn't manage to recon South America until Late March. But there are other smaller things you can do that will still have lasting positive effects in a losing game, and even if you accomplish absolutely nothing on the board you can still get a nice character upgrade at the end.

Basically, flexibility is important. Focus on what you can do rather than what you can't.

Also, we just finished June, and so far I'd say that doing timely recon in South America was by far the most challenging task in the game. So it should get better soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.