Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Clans of Caledonia» Forums » General

Subject: This or Gaia Project? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfie Noakes
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a few people have asked about Gaia project vs CoC, but it looks like it was before they were released from the posts I've read.

I've got, and played a lot of, Terra Mystica and want a similar ''new hotness'- but I've only got the space for one of them.

Anyone played both, and what were your thoughts?

Cheers, and feel free to direct me to another thread if it's been covered!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this, but there's a lot of rumors and speculation around Gaia project as to how close it is to the original TM or not close.

If you're looking for something DIFFERENT with a similar style, I'd say Clans of Caledonia is it.

It's going to be hard to find people who have played Gaia Project at this point.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning towards Clans but not sure I'll be able to get a copy till the reprint. I like that Clans changed the game so much and borrowed from other things. I worry Gaia is too much of a reskin. I like TM but it's not balanced and it feels too predetermined after playing lots of games. I'm hoping Clans is what I wanted Planet Steam to be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfie Noakes
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers guys, appreciate the points you've made.

It's frustrating as in Hong Kong Gaia project is already released, but I can't find anyone that's played CoC as well!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clans is fully playable on Tabletopia too, so if you want to get a good feel for it, that's always an option.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
msg tools
badge
Caught you 'mirin'.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just recently played a full Game of Gaia Project w/ 2 other experienced players. To put a long story short, I was wholly disappointed by GP as all it seemed to do was add more dials and knobs to the original TM with a facelift (spacelift?) if you could even call it that. Heck, the person at the table who was a self-professed TM fanatic even conveyed their disappointment. I did not find it very fun at all, but I was not a huge TM fan to begin with so take that for what you will. Somehow, they took what I felt to be a rather soulless optimization puzzle and made it feel even more empty.

I cannot compare it to Clans directly yet because I have yet to try Clans, by own copy sits at home to be played very, very soon. Once I do, I will give my comparison impressions here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Moore
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
not played any of the others but have played caves of cavernia.
clans, to me, is like a tight CoC.
love playing clans, but as with CoC I think it is not going to be a many played game (not a high replayability)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois LC
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lorddog wrote:
not played any of the others but have played caves of cavernia.
clans, to me, is like a tight CoC.
love playing clans, but as with CoC I think it is not going to be a many played game (not a high replayability)


Not sure to follow here...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cerberus777 wrote:
lorddog wrote:
not played any of the others but have played caves of cavernia.
clans, to me, is like a tight CoC.
love playing clans, but as with CoC I think it is not going to be a many played game (not a high replayability)


Not sure to follow here...


I think iPhone or Android spellcheck just invented a new game. Where's the Kickstarter campaign already?!?!?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayo
United States
LAWRENCE
KS
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just traded away my copy of Clans yesterday. I kept wishing I was playing Terra Mystica.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the game. For folks who like economic games, it's very tight and thematic.

My issue was most of your turns reduce to only a few goals. How am I going to fulfill this contract? Ok I need more cheese then. So I'll spend this turn getting cheese. Rinse and repeat. I suppose a higher player count would add some wrinkles (perhaps the contract I want next won't be available).

But essentially, you spend your time thinking about neighborhood placement with an eye toward contracts. While there are many options, most of them aren't very productive options.

When we finished playing, I thought: "that's all I got to do?"

Again, it's a REALLY solid game for economic players, but it was ultimately not for me.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardy
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alfie No4kes wrote:
but I've only got the space for one of them.


Regarding space, CoC is a good choice, as the box is really quite small for a heavy game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilkins Chow
Hong Kong
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many gamers in Hong Kong already received their copies of CoC and Gaia Project. I have played CoC twice but don't have the chance to play Gaia Project. (Probably will get a copy of Gaia Project in our next game night this month)

CoO is quite a different game compared to TM. You need to use your initial captial with your clan's ability wisely to expand and produce more resources, and complete more contracts to gain points. The game is solid with a smooth game flow. It doesn't like TM which sometimes you feel like you are doing micromanipulation. The rules is not as complicated as it seems and it is actually a great game to introduce to casual gamers who wanted to try heavier games. Generally it should have higher chance to hit the table. Just to note that there is a party home in mong kok which played TM always and CoC becomes their new favourite.

If you are looking for a different game but has some similarities like TM then CoC is the one you should get. If you are looking for a real brain-burner and wanted a deeper game, you should probably pick up Gaia instead.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan B.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I own both and I would suggest: buy both
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a playtester for both of these games, my question for you would be: How close to TM and how complicated do you want your game to be?

Clans of Caledonia is less complex than TM, and while it borrowed a lot of its mechanics, it actually feels quite different. The game has a very strong economic focus. Spreading out on the map to generate more income is possible, but not as mandatory as in TM. The box is surprisingly small, by the way, so if storage space is an issue, CoC is the better choice.

Gaia Project is TM with a bunch of stuff added. It feels like an attempt to fix the main criticisms about TM: the map is now modular, the science track is better integrated into the other mechanics than TM's cult tracks, and the 2 player game is much improved compared to TM (and GP even adds a solo mode). However, it's also even more complex and longer than TM.

If you want a game that feels different than TM and is a bit easier to get into, get CoC.
If you want a variant of TM with even more options, get GP.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trantor42 wrote:

Gaia Project is TM with a bunch of stuff added. It feels like an attempt to fix the main criticisms about TM: the map is now modular, the science track is better integrated into the other mechanics than TM's cult tracks, and the 2 player game is much improved compared to TM (and GP even adds a solo mode). However, it's also even more complex and longer than TM.


Longer? Eeeek!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Kenny
United Kingdom
Nr Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WafflesAndWorlds wrote:
I just traded away my copy of Clans yesterday. I kept wishing I was playing Terra Mystica.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the game. For folks who like economic games, it's very tight and thematic.

My issue was most of your turns reduce to only a few goals. How am I going to fulfill this contract? Ok I need more cheese then. So I'll spend this turn getting cheese. Rinse and repeat. I suppose a higher player count would add some wrinkles (perhaps the contract I want next won't be available).

But essentially, you spend your time thinking about neighborhood placement with an eye toward contracts. While there are many options, most of them aren't very productive options.

When we finished playing, I thought: "that's all I got to do?"

Again, it's a REALLY solid game for economic players, but it was ultimately not for me.


Err no, definitely not. If you were just playing Clans as a game where you had to fulfill a contract you were playing it wrong. There are several other knobs to the game that you have to pay a lot of attention to. Future income is an important factor early on, since the earlier you can get your miners / woodsmen out and upgrade the tech, the better your future income will be over the remaining turns.

Secondly reaching ports is extremely powerful for a quick boost.

Thirdly tactical use of giving up your cows and sheep to fulfill contracts can break up your settlements nicely to be able to increase your final settlement score.

Finally tactical use of the market to get you extra money can get you that vital extra turn to build that resource building that you need to produce the right good for the following round.

Cheap contracts might well look worse, but can be good for getting the bonus on number of contracts fulfilled.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.