Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Wilson
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While playing in PBF 44a, I noticed some wording on Air of Command which makes me think Gideon could command himself:

See my thoughts here

The TL;DR version is that air of command changes the wording to any instead of another friendly figure (and within LOS)

We know a hero is friendly with him or herself and we also know heroes have LOS to themselves as well.

This would mean with Air of Command, Masterstroke, Mobile Tactician and Fearless leader (all of which the hero has in that PBF) Gideon could basically get 3 attacks, Move 4 spaces, and recover 2 strain BY HIMSELF.

We already know Gideon seems OP at times, but this seems to go against the intention behind command.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a rule somewhere that does prevent this? Should the wording on Air of Command be changed to not include Gideon himself as a target? Mostly interested in the discussion - we've decided as a house rule in that PBF that we won't allow it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Huh

I think you're right about that interpretation; the new rule of "any friendly figure" would override the previous restriction of "another friendly figure." But that's almost certainly not the intent.

Though I guess it's usually a bad idea unless you have a good weapon for him and have Masterstroke and/or Mobile Tactician. It does make Gideon WAY more self-sufficient...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Air of Command is clearly intended to allow "in line of sight" as an alternative to the "within 3 spaces" requirement regardless of any wording snafus.

Air of Command doesn't explicitly remove the "another" requirement (by having "instead"). That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Gideon is already too powerful, so allow him to Command himself and you get him banned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Liu
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably should say "any other friendly" on air of command. House rule it imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See what I really think in the thread linked in the first post (2 posts down).

Now I'd like to play the Devil's advocate though.

When they wrote the rules for Air of Command they had the normal rules for Command and chose to change it from "Choose another friendly figure within 3 spaces" to "choose any friendly figure in your line of sight".

They must have changed "another" to "any" in Air of Command for a reason, meaning the intent is that he can choose himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Voss
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Or they made a little mistake that no one realised, because who would ever think of Gideon commanding himself? Nothing is entirely free from mistakes on the first try.

Amazing idea though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are quite a few examples where the designers used 'any friendly figure' assuming an inherent 'other'. Yes, as the expansions came out, a ruling was made that such rules would include the figure itself, and the wording is now policed quite strictly to match that.

The issue with the wording was first noticed to be a problem with Leia. This is why she has errata. Other abilities that used the wording were determined to not really be an issue, although there were a few weird abilities like Gideon's here that skirted the line.

You should not make the assumption that the wording difference was intentional for core set content, as the ruling had not yet been made. A better assumption for all content up to and including the Hoth Ally/Villain Packs wave is that 'any friendly figure' generally assumes an inherent 'other'.

So no, Gideon cannot Command himself under any circumstance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ⱮǾⱤǾƝ ÐɆĽŮẌɆ
Chile
flag msg tools
Lucha y fiesta
badge
Ni corto ni perezoso
mbmbmbmbmb
So i assume Ko-Tun resolves Stockpile on herself, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Qutu wrote:
So i assume Ko-Tun resolves Stockpile on herself, right?

Yes, she may choose to use Stockpile herself. A figure is friendly to itself and within X spaces of itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.