Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I am pleased to announce the first Module (Damage / Condition Tracking) for

www.GloomhavenGuild.com

This website is still under development so any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have found that an IPad on the table is the best way to implement this app.

Features

* Easier Setup
* Replacement for Monster Stat Sleeves
* Round Tracking
* Undo/Redo
* Sync Multiple Devices to Single Scenario (Join Game)
* Easily apply Damage/Conditions to multiple targets (Top Checkmark)
* Multiple Devices Supported (Tablet,Phone,Desktop)

Coming Soon

* Firefox/IE issues
* Design/Art
* Better Boss Format
* User Registration
* Easier to Join Game
* Monster Abilities Module (Ability Cards)

Bug Reports

https://bitbucket.org/dasgooch/gloomhaven/issues

https://imgur.com/HOi4Duv
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob House
msg tools
mb
So many apps for this game. Taking away from the board game itself and turning it to a computer game. Use the components that are provided. This is why we play board games and not computer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Loehr
Canada
flag msg tools
Wow bob, if apps are not for you, then they are not for you. Anything that can make the game more enjoyable is a good thing. This is just another tool that may or may not be used in your game sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
midgar wrote:
Wow bob, if apps are not for you, then they are not for you. Anything that can make the game more enjoyable is a good thing. This is just another tool that may or may not be used in your game sessions.

What? Are you joking?
You must listen to him! Because He Knows Better™.
Don't even think about playing in a way that he does not approve.
All these technological tools are nothing but devil-craft! We should burn them even if they don't affect at all the way he plays his copy of the game.

Note: I may be sarcastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
bobhouse wrote:
So many apps for this game. Taking away from the board game itself and turning it to a computer game. Use the components that are provided. This is why we play board games and not computer games.

I don't really understand what you mean by saying we play the board games for the components.

I play board games to have an excuse to spend time with friends. Anything that gives me more time to focus on the game and my friends instead of game mechanics is welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, Bob....I couldn't disagree more! Using these apps actually aid in using the cardboard components, by shortening the set-up and book-keeping portions of the game and fast-forwarding us directly to the action. There is more than enough in this game that is physical that we can use some 21st Century digital tools to assist in our enjoyment of them!

I'm an old guy, but not old enough that I don't embrace digital technology when it helps out immensely.

"Get off my lawn!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Neels
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bobhouse wrote:

I have to say, despite other posters, the Bob does have a point.

I agree with the following: I enjoy playing the board games as they are, and if possible, not having to use a third party app as it (in my opinion, when I'm playing with friends) takes away from the true gaming experience. I've often felt that a board game should be complete and fully usable in it's out-of-the-box format, hopefully without being too fiddly. Using an app (again, in my opinion) makes the game's system feel invalid to me.

I disagree with the following: That the reason we play board games is for the components. You may be right, Bob, in saying that there are a lot of apps for this game. Personally, I'm going to try gunning it without the apps. But I play board games largely because they are a gaming experience, with other players locally (kind of like playing a video game on a LAN server with your buddies in the same room).

Ultimately, while a lot of us may disagree with Bob, I don't think his opinion is flawed, but maybe just the manner in which he spewed it out at the rest of us whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BakedToast wrote:
bobhouse wrote:

I have to say, despite other posters, the Bob does have a point.

I agree with the following: I enjoy playing the board games as they are, and if possible, not having to use a third party app as it (in my opinion, when I'm playing with friends) takes away from the true gaming experience. I've often felt that a board game should be complete and fully usable in it's out-of-the-box format, hopefully without being too fiddly. Using an app (again, in my opinion) makes the game's system feel invalid to me.

I disagree with the following: That the reason we play board games is for the components. You may be right, Bob, in saying that there are a lot of apps for this game. Personally, I'm going to try gunning it without the apps. But I play board games largely because they are a gaming experience, with other players locally (kind of like playing a video game on a LAN server with your buddies in the same room).

Ultimately, while a lot of us may disagree with Bob, I don't think his opinion is flawed, but maybe just the manner in which he spewed it out at the rest of us whistle

Either way, however, since this APP is not made by the game designer and more importantly is not REQUIRED to play the game. It makes no difference, to those who don't want to use it, on if it exists or not. So I don't see why people like that would even bother to post about it at all shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
While I do think this debate is worthy of discussion I would love to hear actual feedback on the App
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
Adding monster action cards and monster attack modifiers would be great along with tracking mana!

I enjoy playing the game but using some helpful apps allows me to spend more time enjoying the game and less time with setup, takedown, sometimes tedious tracking, missing things (conditions or whatever) etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
riggert wrote:
Adding monster action cards and monster attack modifiers would be great along with tracking mana!

It just so happens that is what I am working on next and they will sync together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DasGooch wrote:
While I do think this debate is worthy of discussion I would love to hear actual feedback on the App

My main piece of feedback, atm: Why aren't you guys all working together to make a really awesome, cross-platform, app?
Wouldn't "One app to rule them all" be more beneficial, instead of the "app war" currently happening?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really like it. If you can add the cards, and attack modifiers it would replace the current program I am using. Way to go! Looking good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
DeS_Tructive wrote:
DasGooch wrote:

My main piece of feedback, atm: Why aren't you guys all working together to make a really awesome, cross-platform, app?
Wouldn't "One app to rule them all" be more beneficial, instead of the "app war" currently happening?

My best answer to this would be that a lot of these tools are more portfolio pieces for developers. We create these sites because we Love Gloomhaven and Programming, plus it looks good on a resume.

Also the communication involved to collaborate on projects like these is difficult. Project management gets more complex the more bodies you throw at a project.

All that said I am not opposed to working with other devs on creating the best possible product to make all your lives easier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
DeS_Tructive wrote:
DasGooch wrote:

You are complaining you have too many apps to choose from? You also want all game designers to work together to make just one really awesome board game, you know, to prevent the "board game war"?

Thanks DasGooch for doing this, I will have a look at your website and see how it may help to play GH (once it arrives, that is....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DasGooch wrote:

My best answer to this would be that a lot of these tools are more portfolio pieces for developers. We create these sites because we Love Gloomhaven and Programming, plus it looks good on a resume.

Also the communication involved to collaborate on projects like these is difficult. Project management gets more complex the more bodies you throw at a project.

All that said I am not opposed to working with other devs on creating the best possible product to make all your lives easier

I can relate to those points.

I'm simply worried that, at some point, Gloomhaven apps will start to go unsupported, either due to loss of developer interest, lack of positive reinforcement, or people flocking to a specific "best" app.

A "team-developed" app might have initial organisational issues, but in the long run, it would be developed faster and more reliably, and have bigger chances to actually stay in the game.

Quote:
You are complaining you have too many apps to choose from? You also want all game designers to work together to make just one really awesome board game, you know, to prevent the "board game war"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Timm
Germany
Elmshorn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Back to topic

Am I doing something wrong?
I click on New Game and add a name, select character count and difficulty.
But nothing happens, when I click start.
I'm using Chrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trang VP
Australia
flag msg tools
timmi84 wrote:
Back to topic

I'm using Chrome.

Same issue for me with both Chrome and Edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DeWitt
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
timmi84 wrote:
Back to topic

I'm using Chrome.

Thanks for reporting this I'll take a closer look as to why this happened this weekend.

Site should be working now feel free to try again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Timm
Germany
Elmshorn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
murteas wrote:
Really like it. If you can add the cards, and attack modifiers it would replace the current program I am using. Way to go! Looking good.

It works now and looks very good.

If you can add the monster decks and modifiers it would be great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Goncalves
msg tools
For the attack modifier deck what would be great is adjusting the cards for the monster so instead of Attack +1 it would show Attack 4 (if the monster at that scenario level had attack 3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Bartel
Australia
Salisbury Heights
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DasGooch wrote:

Thanks for sharing your app!

While it seems to be out of fashion these days, I'd love to see some Help or Instructions. Can be brief, but I took me a while clicking around randomly to make things happen.

I entered the same monster twice to start with, as I didn't realise you could click on it to select the numbers. Then I found I couldn't delete the second copy, and the copies mirrored each other as I made changes.

I eventually worked out how to apply conditions and hits. But by then I wanted to restart. So I reloaded the page, and found that after selecting player count and difficulty, the Start button wouldn't work.

I started in a new tab, and it was OK. Then I stared at the page waiting for things to load, when I realised it was waiting for me to enter monsters again. Maybe some help text or a prompt on the page that goes away when you enter the first monster?

I never did work out what the checkbox at the top of the page does.

Please allow the user to change/correct things. "Oops, I meant to make Bandit Guard #3 An Elite, not Normal! How do I change that? Oh, I added one too many Hounds. How do I get rid of one?"

How about an option to sort with Elites first rather than just numerically?

Keen to see more, this looks useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sarnowski
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Very cool. The only change I'd make so far is that I'd make the dropdown list alphabetical. That way there's an easy scrollpoint if we don't want to throw a keyboard on the screen for some windows touchscreen devices(Basically that's how I'd use this). Then put any enemies already on the board at the top so we can add more if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I like the idea, but doesnt seem to work on my ipad.

I can add a monster and it appears at the bottom of the screen, but nothing else works. Draw button turns yellow but nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark downie
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Andrew, your app looks good.
Question:
Is there some way to add 1 enemy at a higher level than the scenario level and/or power enemies up. Some scenarios require this as part of the special rules, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.