Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. Not a headline from The Onion

Energy Secretary Rick Perry suggested Thursday that expanding the use of fossil fuels could help prevent sexual assault.

Speaking during an energy policy discussion about energy policy with “Meet the Press’” Chuck Todd and Axios CEO and founder Jim VandeHei, Perry discussed his recent trip to Africa. He said a young girl told him that energy is important to her because she often reads by the light of a fire with toxic fumes.

"But also from the standpoint of sexual assault,” Perry said. “When the lights are on, when you have light that shines, the righteousness, if you will on those types of acts.”

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/358386-rick-perry...

I remember the term "The Best and the Brightest". Under Trump we have "The Worst and the Stupidest"

Nothing like a vile co opting of a serious subject like sexual assault to push fossil fuels to highlight the depths to which this administration and the GOP has sunk to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Perry and my former state AG Scott Pruitt apparently are in a contest to see who can say the stupidest things. My money's still on my boy Scottie, because as far as I remember, he's always saying something ignorant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Perry is just plain crazy. Bachmann crazy? Very possibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
Perry and my former state AG Scott Pruitt apparently are in a contest to see who can say the stupidest things. My money's still on my boy Scottie, because as far as I remember, he's always saying something ignorant.

No way. Perry is hyper-dumb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wait... so streetlights dont prevent sexual assault?
and Streetlights require electricity...
And electricity requires fuel...

So... how is he wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

So... how is he wrong?
Which part of that is righteousness, "if you will"? Streetlights didn't seem to stop Weinstein. Sure, they may reduce crimes of opportunity, but the problems with the treatment of women in many nations in Africa aren't going to be fixed with streetlights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Obviously not all sexual assault. But streetlights are in large part a safety measure yes.

Quote:

So... how is he wrong?
He's wrong in the direct link between fossil fuels and sexual assault, there are so many steps in between and other factors to consider that the connection is, ahem, somewhat tortured (understatement alert). It also implies that any kind of policy change on fossil fuels will have a positive or, depending on the policy, negative impact on the frequency of sexual assault. A HIGHLY dubious implication. A suggestion which is only made because sexual assault is a hot topic and easy political points.

tl;dr: he's full of shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:

I dunno about that. Mr Perry seems to have set the bar somewhat high in this regard. But, you may be right, although one shudders at what Mr Pruitt would come up with to top this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't pockets of natural gas in coal mines literally kill people, too? Not to mention that his argument that sexual assault only happens in the dark is utter bullshit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thought about this, and now I understand Ricky:

He wants the lights on when he's screwing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

This is incorrect. Fuel is not a requirement for making electricity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:
sao123 wrote:

This is incorrect. Fuel is not a requirement for making electricity.
You know what he means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edgar the Woebringer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Holy fuckballs.

The hilarious part is that I see this quote being read in churches around the country to thunderous applause...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clean coal will wash away your sins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
wait... so streetlights dont prevent sexual assault? :what:

So... how is he wrong?

If he’s just saying ‘electricity is useful’, that’s fine, but electricity != fossil fuels. I’m pretty sure they aren’t running a coal fired power plant on e.g. the international space station, and there have been no sexual assaults there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
That sentence doesn't make sense even on a syntactical level.

Also, is this more of the bullshit that sexual assault is all about strangers in strange places (with the implication being that the victim ought not to have been there)? As opposed to what decades of studies and actual criminal trials have established?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
If he’s just saying ‘electricity is useful’, that’s fine, but electricity != fossil fuels. I’m pretty sure they aren’t running a coal fired power plant on e.g. the international space station, and there have been no sexual assaults there.

However, given the current state of renewable energy, fossil fuels = consistent energy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
However, given the current state of renewable energy, fossil fuels = consistent energy.

Not if you haven't got any transmission lines to the users. Which you don't in a lot of these areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
sbszine wrote:

However, given the current state of renewable energy, fossil fuels = a consistent energy.

Maybe 20 years ago, now renewables are plenty consistent. Stored hydro, Tesla battery farms, microgrids, etc.

See also: http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-10-12/renewable-ener...

and

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/09/30/teslas-giant-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
All, regardless of how many transmission lines you have or how consistent the gathering is (and yes there are things you can do to smooth out the challenges).

The fact is right now, the Renewable energy only provides 14.9% of our energy needs and is not estimated to hit 80% until 2050. So, yes, fossil fuels = consistent energy.

Renewables are a nice and are only going to get better, but they = brown outs and a crushed electrical grid. I know neither of you are proposing ditching fossil fuels tomorrow - but that was the point Perry was making as well - until renewables produce more, we need fossil fuels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated my post while you were writing yours, but basically there are really good batteries out there now that make 100% renewable practical right now. Obviously there is a construction period etc during which we run on legacy stuff, but no, renewables do not mean brownouts and a crushed grid. Norway is on 99% stored hydro right now, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Waits for the No True Scotsman reply.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
I updated my post while you were writing yours, but basically there are really good batteries out there now that make 100% renewable practical right now. Obviously there is a construction period etc during which we run on legacy stuff, but no, renewables do not mean brownouts and a crushed grid. Norway is on 99% stored hydro right now, for example.

you are not getting it.

The US simply does not have enough renewable production to meet demand. No matter how awesome renewables are (and they are) and no matter how advanced supporting technologies are getting (like batteries). So, if we said tomorrow damn the consequences and turned off all our fossil based power, the US would have......... brown outs/ black outs /crushed electrical grid.

Awesome for Norway that they can meet their demands with just hydro. But that means little in this context since Perry (as US Secretary of Energy) was speaking about the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Don't pockets of natural gas in coal mines literally kill people, too? Not to mention that his argument that sexual assault only happens in the dark is utter bullshit.

I don't know... there are a lot of big shafts down in the mines penetrating deeper and deeper into the .. uh.. earth.

Anyways... if only there was some non fossil fuel way to power street lamps! A fuel source that was limitless, increasingly inexpensive, didn't require imported fueel that exported money from tiny economies, and couldn't be shut off by embargoes once in place.

I guess that's just magic or some kinda scifi talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so have we now moved the goalposts to “switching off all fossil fuel generators in the USA this instant would cause blackouts”? If so, sure, I agree. Got to replace before you repeal, as it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.