Subject: Misunderstood Organizational Dynamic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Willing to teach games on my play list.
badge
Look at my game list and see if there is something you want to play and let's get to playing it.
mb

I was attempting to create the historical brigades from the 3rd Armored Division, when I noticed that they were designated the same as these three units. I found it odd that there was a 32nd brigade, 33rd brigade and a 36th brigade. Anyone got any idea what's going on here?

P.S. What's with this odd ball Mech Co.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
No, those are the 1/32 armor bn (first bn of the 32 armor regiment, first of the thirty third, and a company from the 36th armored infantry regiment. Those aren't brigade subdivision units. The Third Armored division was technically composed of the 32 and 33 armored regiments (each with two bns of Shermans and one bn of M-5s. The M-5s were separated as they tended to be used for recon and tracked supply to the frontline. You see the two bns of shermans divvied up within each Combat command and the armored infantry regiment broken up in a similar manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavius Heraclius Augustus
msg tools
I will try to be as helpful as possible in the simplest way.

3rd Armored Division combat units (I will refer only to the ones you mentioned):
32nd Armored Regiment
33rd Armored Regiment
36th Armored Infantry Regiment

Each Armored Rgt consisted of 3 Armored Battalions (2 Medium with M4, 1 Light with M5):
32nd Arm Rgt: 1/32(L), 2/32(M), 3/32(M) Arm Btn
33rd Arm Rgt: 1/33(L), 2/33(M), 3/33(M) Arm Btn

Each Armored Btn Consisted of 3 Armored Companies.

The four Medium Arm Btns (a total of 12 Arm M4 Coy) formed the two Combat Commands (CCA1-2Coys,CCA2-2Coys,CCA3-1Coy,CCA4-1Coy and the same with CCB1,2,3,4).
The two Light Arm Btns (1/32 and 1/33) were used for recon and supply as Joe mentioned.

The 36th Armored Infantry Rgt consisted of 3 Battalions (1/36, 2/36, 3/36), with 3 Companies in each Btn (a total of 9 Arm Coys). Eight Arm Coys were used to form the two Combat Commands and the last one (named probably after its Btn) was used as a single unit.

The same applies for the 2nd Armored Division (66th Arm Rgt, 67th Arm Rgt, 41st Arm Inf Rgt).

These two Arm Divs were the only one that retained their 1942 "heavy" organization until the end of the war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.