Subject: Victory for the Enntente in the summer of 1917 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished my incredible Campaign with the Summer 1917 Western Allies turn.

As one can see on the picture: British and French troops made a breakthrough ... and cut supply for the Germans.

It was clear that in the previous turn the CP pushed too much on the Russian Front to get that 4th land zone and Russian surrender, which left the Germans a little too small on the West, despite having Air superiority (they lost Richthofen though in the proces) and some hastely thrown Trenches ...

Now I gave up on the game, because those German armies are apparently cut out of supply, so they can't break out as such ?

Is that correct or did the fresh Germans still had a chance to make a counter attack with 2 armies that would move in the West ?

Regardless I had HUGE fun with this game and I certainly will replay it in the next few weeks.

A pity the VASSAL mod 1.0 does not have the cards though... I guess it was to avoid copying the game...

Top 10 wargame though. Superb game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the spring 1915 turn of mine the Germans have pushed more on the western front than the east. Man, it is a terrific game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Did the Germans use They Shall Not Pass? If not, why not? If so, then it looks like they should have stopped the attack.

I'd like to know how many units Germany had in the Rhine at the start. If the enemy uses TSNP, then you need twice as many units (or rolls) as they have and every roll has to be successful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jim bailey wrote:
Did the Germans use They Shall Not Pass? If not, why not? If so, then it looks like they should have stopped the attack.

I'd like to know how many units Germany had in the Rhine at the start. If the enemy uses TSNP, then you need twice as many units (or rolls) as they have and every roll has to be successful.

The Germans used TNSP and were eliminated. In fact earlier in the game the French suffered the same faith in the defense of Paris

The Germans did quite well earlier in the game, they took Verdun, but the Entente took it back.

The Turning point was with the Germans pushing for that 4 zone control in Russia earlier in the year (they pulled the card of the Russian Revolution).

It was REAL close but they failed. A note is that the Russians can not use TSNP in these front zones as there are no industries or white flags in these zones.

Also I think your negativity about this game is seldom seen. It is as if there is always one way the game is going and that is NOT what I saw.

The game is a real cliffhanger on several turns really and the TSNP mechanic is no wonder "cure" either - as you seem to imply - because with each TNSP you risk the chances for future turns to stand successfully tx to the +1 DRM.

I find this a jewel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
Also I think your negativity about this game is seldom seen. It is as if there is always one way the game is going and that is NOT what I saw.

The game is a real cliffhanger on several turns really and the TSNP mechanic is no wonder "cure" either - as you seem to imply - because with each TNSP you risk the chances for future turns to stand successfully tx to the +1 DRM.

I find this a jewel.

What "negativity" are you referring to?

When did I imply that TSNP is a wonder cure? It's not. It's exactly what it is: a last-ditch effort to avoid defeat. You must be desperate to use it.

However, in such situations, TSNP is extremely powerful, particularly if the end of the game is near.

Also, I'd still like to know how many units Germany started with on defense.

I ask this because it takes very questionable play (IMO) to strip the Western Front down to the point that the opponent has a mathematical chance of doing what happened in your game. If Germany has Russia on the ropes such that 4 areas can be taken in one particular turn, that opportunity is going to be there next turn as well. Unless something really dire is happening, risking the game to force a Russian Revolution is not a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmb
I've looked at the posted images in an effort to reconstruct what happened and based solely on the information at hand, it looks like it went like this:

It looks like the attack stretched over two turns.

Germany had only two units in the Rhine on the first attack, maybe three (seems consistent with the four? units in the Somme). This is an astonishingly low number in my experience, but that's what it looks like. The Allies attacked the two units with 6 armies. The German units retreated to Hanover (or strangely two units were sitting in Hanover), and 4 Allied units advanced into the Rhine.

The Germans now had 2 units facing 4. It does not appear from the photos that Germany reinforced Hanover, but if all this happened in one turn then obviously they could not. (It also does not appear that the Germans attacked Verdun from the Somme in an effort to cut off the Allied supply, but they might have simply failed.)

Attacking Hanover with the 4 units, the first German unit and one British unit became spent, leaving 3 units to attack the remaining unit. The next attack was successful, leaving two spent Allied units and both German units spent. The Allies attacked successfully again and the German invoked TSNP, eliminating one unit. The Allies then again attacked successfully (great die rolls) and after TSNP the last German unit was eliminated allowing three Allied units to advance and resupply as shown in the photo.

If I'm right in the reconstruction, then the big question is why was the Western front so lightly defended?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.