Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Dust 1947» Forums » General

Subject: Episode 14 of Dust War Journals is out! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Haglund
Sweden
Göteborg
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://dustwarjournals.com/2017/11/02/episode-14-fhtagn/

Christmas comes early in the Dust world!

In this episode, we discuss all the new releases and re-releases, and the upcoming schedule for the rest of the year. Yes, this includes the Cthulhu creatures!

Also discussed in this episode: Recent and upcoming tournaments, the latest FAQ/Errata document, and how to grow your local community.
2 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Great podcast as always!!!

You guys forgot to mention that the Koshka issue was clarified by Dust Studio:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27255281#27255281

The Cthulhu Mythos creatures would be highly susceptible to the Luftwaffe faction. So far, the Cthulhu Mythos are limited in numbers so they can be overwhelmed with Airborne units being dropped adjacent to them doing an attack followed by close combat. These are my thoughts on it right now.

My friend is planning of getting into Dust 1947 with Cthulhu Mythos being his first army. He chose Cthulhu Mythos because he wanted to play an Block that is different than what the rest of our group is playing.

Keep up the good work, and I am looking forward to your next podcast.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marwan_marwan wrote:

Great podcast as always!!!

You guys forgot to mention that the Koshka issue was clarified by Dust Studio:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/27255281#27255281

Thanks! We're glad you like it!

Yeah, I forgot about the answer you got. Sorry. But I briefly mentioned Greg's post on the DM forum where he said they will fix the issue soon.

marwan_marwan wrote:
The Cthulhu Mythos creatures would be highly susceptible to the Luftwaffe faction. So far, the Cthulhu Mythos are limited in numbers so they can be overwhelmed with Airborne units being dropped adjacent to them doing an attack followed by close combat. These are my thoughts on it right now.

I'm thinking the exact opposite The Mythos Creatures we've seen so far don't have any long range weapons, but they are absolute killing machines if they get close to their enemies.And they are durable enough to be able to close in on their pray. So your best bet when fighting them is probably to try and stay as far away from them as possible, for as long as possible, and shoot them with your big guns.

That would mean that Luftwaffe units pays AP's for Airborne which is largely useless against Cthulhu, since you don't want to be in close combat with a Cthulhu Spawn or within Psycic Scream of the Avatar of Nyarlathotep.

On top of that, Luftwaffe have some trouble in the Long Range and Anti-tank departments so I think the Mythos will be very very difficult for Luftwaffe to beat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Aaaah! Really? Hmmmm...I think the Airborne skill gives the Luftwaffe units the ability to drop next to the Cthulhu Mythos creatures, unloading all their heavy weapons then finishing off with Close Combat attacks.

The idea behind this suicide 'strategy' is that Luftwaffe units won't need to maneuver across the battlefield to reach the Cthulhu Mythos creatures. Instead, they can focus on out-activating the Cthulhu Mythos creatures, and hopefully finishing them off with Close Combat attacks.

I think four infantry units can martyr themselves to cause of stopping Avatar of Nyarlathotep before it fully emerges to consume our planet and souls.

I will be trying this out once my the army box is realesed, then I will report back on how well this 'strategy' plays out.

MagWiz wrote:
I'm thinking the exact opposite The Mythos Creatures we've seen so far don't have any long range weapons, but they are absolute killing machines if they get close to their enemies.And they are durable enough to be able to close in on their pray. So your best bet when fighting them is probably to try and stay as far away from them as possible, for as long as possible, and shoot them with your big guns.

That would mean that Luftwaffe units pays AP's for Airborne which is largely useless against Cthulhu, since you don't want to be in close combat with a Cthulhu Spawn or within Psycic Scream of the Avatar of Nyarlathotep.

On top of that, Luftwaffe have some trouble in the Long Range and Anti-tank departments so I think the Mythos will be very very difficult for Luftwaffe to beat.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus G
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please try it out and post back with your experience!

This is how I look at it: I think a Cthulhu army, based on the big monsters, will be heavily outnumbered. Because of that, during the first turn the Cthulhu player will Pass, then Pass, then Pass etc. for as long as possible, so there will not be that many Luftwaffe units that can actually do something on the first turn.

The Cthulhu player then activates his Spawns of Cthulhu first, and with their First Strike skill and 8 dice vs all types of infantry it will be very dangerous for any remaining Luftwaffe units to go into close combat with them.

As his last Activation for the first turn the Cthulhu player activates his Avatar. If the Luftwaffe played agressively (and possibly killed a Spawn), the Avatar will use Psychic Scream and Eldritch Fire (and maybe Close Combat) to cause serious damage to anything up to range 6 of the Cthulhu player's table edge.

Then the Luftwaffe will have one final activation that can target the Avatar. And at the moment I can't see anything in their arsenal that has a good chance of killing an Avatar in one activation. Actually, there's very little in the entire game that has a good chance of killing an Avatar in one activation.

The Initiative for second turn will be super important. If the Luftwaffe wins, they might still have a chance. If Cthulhu wins the initiative it's going to look very bad for the Luftwaffe...

Why do I think this is how it will play out? Because Luftwaffe is already seriously struggling when facing lots of though targets such as Walkers and Tanks. They prefer to play against Infantry where the tactic you describe has a reasonable chance to work. The Mythos Creatures, however, are very tough indeed (the Avatar is the toughest unit in the game!).

So, the only way I can see Luftwaffe having a real chance is if they are entirely dedicated to Anti-tank firepower and avoid close combat as much as possible. Which brings me to my bottom line: I think Luftwaffe is one of the weakest forces out there against a Mythos Creatures army. But interestingly enough, I think the Blutkreuz (who is pretty weak at the moment) might be fairly strong against Mythos Creatures.

Interesting times...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marwan Marwan مروان مروان
Canada
Greater Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I completely forgot about passing...Damn it! My suicide 'strategy' will fail for sure.

Okay, back to the drawing board...

As for the Luftwaffe, my goal in life is to turn it into a feared fighting force on the battlefield. Expect to hear many victory stories from me in the near future...Currently, I have lost every game with them in the Endless War campaign...<sigh>

For the record, my second favourite army to play after the Luftwaffe is the Blutkreuz. They helped me bring a lot of tears to my friends' faces on previous games devil
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.