Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
Hello fellow board game geeks!

For the past 9 months I've been working on the new online board games web portal, which is now publicly available here:

https://boardgameplay.com

"The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire" is the first (and currently the only) game available for online play on it.

A BIG Thank You to the publisher Minion Games (and James Mathe in particular) for granting me the permission to host the online version of the game.

BoardGamePlay is completely free - you only need to create an account in order to start playing games on it.

Note: site is currently in public beta, so I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks and have fun playing games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it async or live?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
I'd say it's a hybrid

It doesn't have a timer or any time restrictions built in as of now, but it has a nice live turn notifications feature, so assuming time restriction isn't critical for you, I'd say it's pretty comfortable for real time play, even though technically it's rather async.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome news - really cool. I love seeing my favorite games available online.

Question - will I get an email when it's my turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m interested in trying this out. I logged on as mrlaurie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a practicey game right now ... really good stuff.

Questions - is there an undo option?

Also - Am I required to roll all of my dice when I generate? I was always under the impression that rolling a die was voluntary. I currently have a yellow and blue die. I may only want to roll the blue .. is that allowed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, you were not "granted" any sort of license to run this game. I simply said I won't take you down till someone wishes to officially license the game for online play and pay us money to do so. But that's unlikely so we'll see how this goes...

sigtaulefty wrote:
Am I required to roll all of my dice when I generate? I was always under the impression that rolling a die was voluntary. I currently have a yellow and blue die. I may only want to roll the blue .. is that allowed?

That is correct, it's optional to roll the dice.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
sigtaulefty wrote:
Question - will I get an email when it's my turn?

If you have a browser tab with BoardGamePlay open, you'll get live notifications when it's your turn (plus tab itself has a blinking indicator with number of games awaiting your turn). If you have actual game open - game will update live too (i.e. no need to refresh the page), so it's more like a real time play mode, except that there's no turn timer or any time restrictions currently.

If you have games awaiting your turn and you're not active on the site for 24 hours - yes, you'll get an email reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
LL Games wrote:
I’m interested in trying this out. I logged on as mrlaurie

It's an honour to have the game designer on board! Thanks for giving it a try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
sigtaulefty wrote:
Questions - is there an undo option?

Currently no. But I might consider it.

In most cases, when action requires you to do multiple steps to complete it, you can click "Cancel" (or just hit ESC) to cancel it. It's not really an undo though, I understand.

sigtaulefty wrote:
Also - Am I required to roll all of my dice when I generate? I was always under the impression that rolling a die was voluntary. I currently have a yellow and blue die. I may only want to roll the blue .. is that allowed?

Ha, good catch! Currently you always roll all of them, but yeah, you're right - I just checked the rules and you actually should be able to roll any number of your dice. I missed that, my bad. Added to the TODO list and will implement ASAP.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
RPGShop wrote:
To be clear, you were not "granted" any sort of license to run this game. I simply said I won't take you down till someone wishes to officially license the game for online play and pay us money to do so. But that's unlikely so we'll see how this goes...

Thanks for the clarification, James!

RPGShop wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:
Am I required to roll all of my dice when I generate? I was always under the impression that rolling a die was voluntary. I currently have a yellow and blue die. I may only want to roll the blue .. is that allowed?

That is correct, it's optional to roll the dice.

Thanks for confirming this too (I found it in the rules as well) - I'll be adding a tweak to support this soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried on mobile and didn’t seem to work. What are the system requirements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
LL Games wrote:
I tried on mobile and didn’t seem to work. What are the system requirements?

It's targeting desktops primarily and should work just fine in any modern browser, but I also did implement support for mobile - it just doesn't always fit the screen well and might be a little slow, depending on the actual device you're using. It does work fine (at least for me and a couple of other testers) on iPad and Android *tablets* (at least the recent ones, older devices might be slower) and it technically should work on any smartphone too, but as I said above - interface might not be very comfortable to use on the smaller screen size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Laurie
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried using Safari on iOS on my large iPhone- all fits on screen, but clicking on elements to try to start the game didn’t work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
LL Games wrote:
I tried using Safari on iOS on my large iPhone- all fits on screen, but clicking on elements to try to start the game didn’t work

Hmm... OK, added this to my list of things to investigate - thanks for the feedback!

Also: did you try another browser?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
ki0n wrote:
LL Games wrote:

Hmm... OK, added this to my list of things to investigate - thanks for the feedback!

Also: did you try another browser?

Not 100% sure it was the cause of the issue you saw, but I might have fixed a bug that was causing it just now - can you try again and let me know if it's gone or is still an issue? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
ki0n wrote:
sigtaulefty wrote:

Ha, good catch! Currently you always roll all of them, but yeah, you're right - I just checked the rules and you actually should be able to roll any number of your dice. I missed that, my bad. Added to the TODO list and will implement ASAP.

This has now been implemented. Once again - thanks for the nice catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a 4-player game on there right now waiting for that magical 4th player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
another bug (I think)

I generate.

I roll 3 dice (Yellow, Blue, Black)

I roll a 5 on the Yellow and Black and a 3 on the blue. I should have the choice to which 5 I want to accept - the yellow nuclear or the black regular pollution. The website just assigned me nuclear pollution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
sigtaulefty wrote:
another bug (I think)

I generate.

I roll 3 dice (Yellow, Blue, Black)

I roll a 5 on the Yellow and Black and a 3 on the blue. I should have the choice to which 5 I want to accept - the yellow nuclear or the black regular pollution. The website just assigned me nuclear pollution.

Another good catch - thanks for the report!

I've added support for token selection (pollution vs nuclear contamination) for situations like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created an account last night but still did not receive any confirmation email so I cannot login. Does it usually take long?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicol Stéphane
France
chateaugiron FRANCE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
marronigus wrote:
I created an account last night but still did not receive any confirmation email so I cannot login. Does it usually take long?

BoardGamePlay system sends email right away, but I guess it might take longer to show up in your inbox, even though it really shouldn't take more than few minutes...

That being said, there are 2 possible reasons why you might not see it:

1. it's in your spam folder (did you check it?)
2. you submitted invalid email (i.e. a typo)

I do see that one recent email has been dropped, which in most cases happens when submitted email address in not valid. Does yours one start with "jk" and is a hotmail.com one? If that's the one, it's not a valid email address (made a typo while submitting, perhaps?). You can also confirm that by trying to login to reset BoardGamePlay password using same email you think you initially provided - if this works, you will actually be able to reset password (via emailed link) and login to BoardGamePlay (resetting password is kinda same as verifying your account), if this doesn't work (i.e. it says user with given email can't be found) - it would indeed confirm that you have provided wrong/invalid email address while signing up.

Let me know if that's what it is - I can delete your account, so you can try signing up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
Ireland
Kilkenny
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, there should be a history of your games available. I want to fondly remember that time I beat Luke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kion K.
msg tools
boardgameplay.com
badge
mb
tkpope wrote:
IMHO, there should be a history of your games available. I want to fondly remember that time I beat Luke.

List of your finished games is available on http://boardgameplay.com/play page.

There are 3 sections there:

-- SEATING - games you've started or joined that await more players to join; once game has required number of players, it becomes an IN PROGRESS game

-- IN PROGRESS - your current games in progress, once game from this list is finished, it moves to the FINISHED section

-- FINISHED - your previously played games that are finished; you can still click on the game and see game screen with game log, chat, etc. (including final scoring); you could even share the link to that game with someone, so they could see all that too, but they would need to be a registered BoardGamePlay member to make that work (in fact you can share a link to the game that is still in progress and they can observe the game in live mode)

So, what you're looking for is a game from that last FINISHED section (players are listed for every game in these sections, so it shouldn't be hard to find one that has Luke's name below it - that's the one you're looking for - just bookmark it ).

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.