Matthew Singer
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
For a little over a year, I have been working on a tool to design and create board and card game components. It is designed to work with Windows 10, though it should work with Windows 8 as well, but has not been tested. I am releasing it completely free and open source. Here are some screenshots:

You can find the source code, pre-built binaries, and documentation from the website, https://bitbucket.org/mattsinger/card-editor/overview. If you have any comments, questions, bug reports, or general feedback, please send them to cardeditor.feedback@gmail.com. I hope people find it useful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefan michel
France
flag msg tools
It seems to work on windows 7. I created a card and put some text on it, don't have the time to try more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all congratz on it and thanks for sharing. This could really go somewhere!

I would suggest a small video showing it's capabilities.

What would you say this software has or better said improves upon others in the market? What was your angle?

I know it's free, but what I mean is whats your differential, will it be easier to create cards than using, let's say', photoshop? or even paint?

Does it work with every card size, does it have a limit on text and such?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm at the office right now but will surely try it once I get home. Looks VERY promising

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Singer
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
A video's not a bad idea, but I don't have any screen-recording software at the moment to do so.

Besides being free and open-source, the main goal was to automate card creation. Where you might make a base template for a card in photoshop or paint, you then have to manually add in the text or images, placing and scaling them carefully. With Card Editor, you define a card layout, set up bindings, and then just enter data for each card into what is effectively a spreadsheet. Card Editor will then automatically link the bound card data to the layout, give you a preview, and give you the results as an image in your desired format.

Another major goal for Card Editor is portability in your work. All data is organized into a Workspace and any documents or images it references are stored relative to its location. If you have a team of people working on your design, or you simply want to move your data to another computer, then you just need to share that common root folder that contains all of your data, and Card Editor will be able to locate everything else. This works particularly well for file-sharing systems such as OneDrive or source control software.

There is no limit to card size, though it tends to think of cards as taller than they are wide. You can make a card that is wider than tall, but it considers this to be a "portrait" layout, and assumes you actually have a tall card that is rotated 90 degrees. Card Editor can use any installed font, so if you want to use custom fonts, you will need to install it. You can customize text further with XML tags to change the font size, family, color, or make it bold/italics. This does make the text a little verbose to read in the tool, but easy to parse by both humans and the software. Text size is defined in inches (rather than point size which you may be more used to in word processing software).

You can find more information from the documentation in the wiki, available from the website. I'll also point out that this is not professional software, so there will be bugs or just generally poor UI decisions on my part. If you do have any ideas for improvements, I'll be happy to hear them.

The easiest way to get a hold of me is to send an email to the address I mentioned above, cardeditor.feedback@gmail.com. I'm more likely to check that than I am these forums.

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to seeing what people create!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Singer
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
nalaf wrote:
It seems to work on windows 7. I created a card and put some text on it, don't have the time to try more.

That's great to hear! I wasn't even trying to target Windows 7, but I'm glad to know that it works for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Besides being free and open-source, the main goal was to automate card creation. Where you might make a base template for a card in photoshop or paint, you then have to manually add in the text or images, placing and scaling them carefully. With Card Editor, you define a card layout, set up bindings, and then just enter data for each card into what is effectively a spreadsheet. Card Editor will then automatically link the bound card data to the layout, give you a preview, and give you the results as an image in your desired format.

Another major goal for Card Editor is portability in your work. All data is organized into a Workspace and any documents or images it references are stored relative to its location. If you have a team of people working on your design, or you simply want to move your data to another computer, then you just need to share that common root folder that contains all of your data, and Card Editor will be able to locate everything else. This works particularly well for file-sharing systems such as OneDrive or source control software.

There is no limit to card size, though it tends to think of cards as taller than they are wide. You can make a card that is wider than tall, but it considers this to be a "portrait" layout, and assumes you actually have a tall card that is rotated 90 degrees. Card Editor can use any installed font, so if you want to use custom fonts, you will need to install it. You can customize text further with XML tags to change the font size, family, color, or make it bold/italics. This does make the text a little verbose to read in the tool, but easy to parse by both humans and the software. Text size is defined in inches (rather than point size which you may be more used to in word processing software).

Brilliant... simply brilliant thumbsuplaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone got this running under linux/wine? I just downloaded and tried, got this:

$ wine CardEditor.exe
err:mscoree:load_mono Could not load Mono into this process

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Crisci
msg tools
Looked quickly at it and it looks great. I have a couple of questions / feature request.

I am not sure but I did not see an option to put the text field on the cards always at a certain spot, is that option available?

Also can I output an image that for a card sheet, so I could print it at my local print service?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Singer
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
PartTimeIndie wrote:
I am not sure but I did not see an option to put the text field on the cards always at a certain spot, is that option available?

I'm not sure what you mean by this exactly. You can place multiple text fields in a Layout and set their sizes and positions to whatever you like. Layouts are meant to act as templates for sets of cards, which are defined in a Data Set. The wiki includes a quick start guide (found https://bitbucket.org/mattsinger/card-editor/wiki/BasicTut/S...) that goes through the process, but the short version is:

1. Create front and back Layouts with Elements, some of which are bound to Fields
2. Create a Data Set and set its Front and Back Layouts to the ones you created
3. Add Fields to the Data Set that match the ones you defined in the Layout Elements
4. Populate the Data Set with cards

Card Editor can then go through each card and fill the Layout with the matching data and create an image for you.

PartTimeIndie wrote:

Also can I output an image that for a card sheet, so I could print it at my local print service?

I'd like to implement a kind of print-and-play service to produce printable sheets. This may be a way off, unfortunately, as I'm only one person. It's definitely on the backlog, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Crisci
msg tools
Thanks for the answer, I will definatly use it for my next prototype

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.