Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Mclaughlin
Australia
Thorneside
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am getting ready to play this game, I have been reading the rules as well as reading the posts here and on CSW for clarity.

After this process I am still not sure if I have the VP scoring process down correctly.

I am hoping that John Firer can read through this post and let me know if I have understood it correctly.

I believe that there are 36 victory point scoring locations on the board, made up of Italy, 18 provinces, 4 independent VP cities and 13 VP cities that are also part of provinces or countries (eg: Munich and Berlin respectively.)

At the start of the war Austria controls 19 locations and Prussia 17. (I notice that before the errata changed Frankfort to Austrian control it would have been a balanced 18 each).

In the Sequence of Play, rule 5.6 Conduct Victory Check says:

“Victory points are awarded for controlling provinces and red-out-lined VP spaces.”

Rule 14.2 says “Players gain control of a province (not country) by controlling the majority of the spaces in the Province at the end of the turn”. (I assume that by “end of the turn” it means in the Conduct Victory Check step.)

Rule 14.5 adds in the scoring for Italy, which is a country not a province, but the same basic method is used for determining VP control.

So, I think it effectively works like this.

In the Conduct Victory Check phase the players determine the current control of all 36 locations. If either player has more than 18 they will score the difference between the two counts.

So, for example; if after turn 1 the Austrian player still controls their original 19 locations they will score 2 vps (19 minus 17). If at the end of turn 2 the Austrians control 20 locations they will score another 3 vps, (for a progressive total of 5vps from location control over the two turns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The VP marker is shifted as Events occur or or battles are won or Provinces or VP cities change hands. No matter what the situation is on the board, if nothing happens during a turn, the VP marker will not move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mclaughlin
Australia
Thorneside
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK, thanks for the quick answer Dave. I understand that now.

Do you think maybe there should be a clarification put into the errata/living rules, as the intent in the rules as currently written does not seem clear, to me at least?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rubin
United States
Trenton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
"It may be doubted whether so small a number of men ever employed so short a space of time with greater or more lasting effects upon the history of the world.” — Sir George Otto Trevelyan on the Battles of Trenton and Princeton
mbmbmbmbmb
Not my call, Joe, but it never ocurred to me to score in the fashion you suggested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mclaughlin
Australia
Thorneside
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe it was just me misreading it then. Anyway, looking forward to trying out the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B. Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave is correct, Joe (thanks Dave!).

Enjoy,

JBF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mclaughlin
Australia
Thorneside
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, John. You and Dave give this game good suport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B. Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A pleasure, Joe!

JBF

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.