Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I finished sleeving and organising my big expansions too (I'm using some simple but practical Dragon Shield big boxes with divisor cards made by me). I have some questions:

- Can you really play "All in" (with, maybe, a sideboard)?

- What about playing with the Dreamlands and EITHER ATMoM or UtP? Thematically, the Dreamlands should be a "parallel dimension" or such, which touches everything (whereas I don't see really how you can really play with UtP and ATMoM together... laugh)

- I refused to look at the cards because I didn't want to spoil any surprises, but I accidentally glanced at the "Alaskan Sledge Dog" faithful ally (a friend of mine since the days of the CoC LCG), and it works only on the Antarctica sideboard. What do you do when you draw such a card and the Antarctica sideboard is not in play? Is it considered "invalid" (and thus a lost opportunity - then it goes out of play) or you can draw a substitute? Or only encounters in Antarctica can allow you to have a Sledge Dog as an Ally, and thus this problem doesn't exists because it will simply not appear in the game?

- IIUC, features like Strange Remnants and Cities in Ruin are tied either to a specific prelude or a specific AO (Shudde M’ell). Problem is, if I want to have Cthulhu, disasters (very thematic, IMHO, with Cthulhu and others AO) and remnants I should draw TWO preludes: one for using the disasters with Cthulhu and one for the remnants - and thus this setup would be impossible. Did I understood the rules correctly? Has anyone ever tried to play with TWO preludes?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. All in. Really. Regardless how many sideboards (if any) you use. And you can play with the Dreamlands and any other sideboard together - no problem. The game system is perfectly fit for that!

If you draw clues or portals from expansion boards not in play, simply discard them and draw new ones.

For easier access, I recommend splitting up the Condition decks. Otherwise, you'll be fine meeple

EDIT: and yes, we have played with two Preludes before. No problem! If you have all cards from all expansions in your decks, disasters can happen even without the corresponding prelude card or AO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Bühler
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Nothing is stopping you from doing whatever you want with the game, really.

The sled dog... well, I'm not sure there's a case where you can gain it. Maybe there's a card like "gain a random unique asset - ally". Anyway, if you did, without antarctica, it would be a pretty dead asset, yeah. Though if it's an ally (I don't remember), you could still sacrifice it when an asset calls for an ally sacrifice.

Two preludes would have the potential to make the game brutally hard. I'd watch out for that. That said, your suggestion might work, I'd say mystic ruins in generally make the game a bit easier, while disasters make it harder.

And I second sorting your condition stack by keywords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysiek Domański
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
I accidentally glanced at the "Alaskan Sledge Dog" faithful ally (a friend of mine since the days of the CoC LCG), and it works only on the Antarctica sideboard. What do you do when you draw such a card and the Antarctica sideboard is not in play?
This never happens as you can't gain that card at random.
Reckall wrote:
I should draw TWO preludes: one for using the disasters with Cthulhu and one for the remnants - and thus this setup would be impossible.
You don't need a prelude for the disasters to appear. Prelude may only make those more common.
Reckall wrote:
Has anyone ever tried to play with TWO preludes?
Many people.
Even a single prelude is rarely balanced. Using more than one doesn't change much in this matter. One prelude to make the game harder, second to make it easier, third one for cosmetics. You can make any cocktail you like.
Of course, making such mix at random may result with a very unsavory combination.
Reckall wrote:
What about playing with (...) ATMoM (...)?
"At theMountains of Madness" is the name of a novella by H. P. Lovecraft.
"Mountains of Madness" is the name of an expansion for Eldritch Horror.
Much more people play with MoM added to the game than with AtMoM, as adding AtMoM is difficult due to compatibility issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reckall wrote:
- What about playing with the Dreamlands and EITHER ATMoM or UtP? Thematically, the Dreamlands should be a "parallel dimension" or such, which touches everything (whereas I don't see really how you can really play with UtP and ATMoM together... laugh)

Any or all are perfectly compatible with the theme. The Investigators travel the world as well as to other worlds, so combining UtP and MoM is only a problem if you believe that one planet should not include both Egypt and Antarctica. That said, it would be very rare to pick up the necessary combination of AO and Prelude randomly (and all three sideboards could only be the result of including at least one extra Prelude and probably choosing them deliberately rather than randomly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont have much to add as i agree with all responses.

But i would strongly advise playing the game a few times against each AOO so you can get a feel of how the new cards/investigators work.

Then once you feel you know the game, you can try adding multiple preludes to add challenge and randomness.

Also, the only way to get a Sled dog or Antartica guide is through the Antartica sideboard. They are not Character allies so they are not gained randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Beretta
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haroth9842 wrote:

Much more people play with MoM added to the game than with AtMoM, as adding AtMoM is difficult due to compatibility issues.

Interestingly enough, in the French expanded edition of the "Beyond the Mountains of Madness" RPG adventure the investigators find the original novel (it is a diary after all) and are "invited" to read it. I do read French without problems, but pity that this BIIIIIIIIG adventure (672 pages...) has never been translated in English: it even comes with a CD with the OST composed by Erdenstern, a German group.

Hmmm... I now wonder if the CD works also if you do play MoM for EH... Maybe I will try.

Thanks to all for your answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.