Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, I've been playing this game solo half a dozen times now &
& I've yet to win even once! Still in my playthroughs I've encountered several questions that I'd like to have answered/ confirmed.

Sorry for the long list but I appreciate if you guys can help me with them :)

Affliction cards
Quote:
Insane: Do not scavenge the same tier twice in a row. Switch piles at will.

Just to be clear, let's say from the middle pile I just scavenged a tier 1 card, & revealing the next card to be tier 2... I could still opt to switch piles even though I wouldn't need to, as long as my next scavenge card isn't another tier 1, is that right?

Quote:
Cursed: Shuffle a resolved peril back into the pile from which you scavenged it

Basically it means recycle all scavenged peril cards into the pile it came from, as long as you're cursed, is that right?

Quote:
Gutless: You can't scavenged more than 1 card of 3rd tier during your turn

Also clarification, but I assume I'll be forced to stop scavenging if the next card is a tier 3, assuming I've already scavenged a tier 3 card prior (even if its a peril & I dealt with it)?

Quote:
Paranoid: You can't trade. Others can't play Salvation on you, but you can play it on yourself.

(Solo game only) there are several ways in which players are "forced" to heal, such as the location Radiant Rupture. Once I've lost Paranoid then Salvation's only good for food yes? Meaning in this case losing paranoid is a handicap of sorts...

Quote:
Blinded: Scavenge cards face down, then reveal them one by one in any order.

Let me get this straight. Does this mean I could scavenge as much as I want face down, and only turn them up 1 by 1 in any order right after I've decided to stop scavenging? I assume I'll have to turn of the scavenged card face up, whether I like it or not?

Also assuming I've scavenged 6 cards, & I revealed a peril as 2nd card in the row. Would the peril discard all 6 scavenged cards or just the ones in front of it?

Quote:
Indecisive: When collecting scavenged cards, leave at least 1 card uncollected.

Can this be an opportunity card that I chose not to trigger?

------------

Opportunity
Do opportunity cards count as scavenged cards for the purpose of other effects?

For example,
- Endless maze (scavenge only 4 cards.. do opportunity cards count?)
- Infested Shafts (Does triggering Rotten Carcass or Devious Trail count, thus forcing to discard 1 more scavenged card?)
- Devious Trail (does having an untriggered Rotten Carcass count as 1 of the 5 other scavenged cards needed to trigger DT?)

Quote:
Rotten Carcass: Discard 2 other scavenged cards to harvest Carcass for a value of 5.

After I paid the cost & placed it into my personal area (which I assume is different from my hand), can/ must I use the RC immediately to pay for feeding for the current location? Or can I hold onto it until I want to use it for 5 "food"?

------------

Character Cards
Quote:
Vulture: Once per round, take the top action from the discard pile, then discard a card

If the top card from the discard pile is a peril, does it mean I can't use Vulture's ability? Or does it mean I'll go down the discard pile in order until I find an action card?

Quote:
Pathfinder: Once per round, take a scavenged opportunity and return it as scavenged at any time

How does this work at all?

Quote:
Worker: The 2nd action you play each round is harvested instead of discarded

I assume it means I'll still get to trigger that actions effect, and then I'll place it into my personal area as a "store-able food" of sorts? Or must I use the harvested action this upcoming feeding phase?

------------

I think that's all the questions I have now, thanks for your help! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Bachtík
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shame on us so many things are unclear, and thank you for making a list like this. Good thing is, you understood it quite well

Insane: Yes, you can switch piles as you like.
Cursed: Yes
Gutless: Yes
Paranoid in Solo: Yes, it's kind of a good thing to have Paranoid around, even though it's a tradeoff. I personally love this intraction.

Blinded: Yes, and yes. It won't let you get you more Afflictions during a single scavenge. (unless you play Hide on face down cards, then it could theoretically happen)

Indecisive: Yes.

Opportunities: Yes

Rotten Carcass: Somewhere in the rules should be written that if you harvest outside of Feeding, you must use the food during the next feeding - so that you can't keep it for later.

Vulture: You can't use it if the top card isn't an action.

Pathfinder: You can "save" scavenged opportunities in your hand for later, to make sure it doesn't get discarded and/or that it's used at the best possible situation.
Physically you take the card into your hand and you can return it at any time as if it was just scavenged.

Worker: Yes, you use the effect of the 2nd action and also harvest it. As you're most likely playing (and harvesting) it outside of Feeding, you must use it for the next Feeding.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wintomee wrote:
Shame on us so many things are unclear, and thank you for making a list like this. Good thing is, you understood it quite well :)

Pathfinder: You can "save" scavenged opportunities in your hand for later, to make sure it doesn't get discarded and/or that it's used at the best possible situation.
Physically you take the card into your hand and you can return it at any time as if it was just scavenged.

Nah I think the rule's fine, & the fact that I got most of them right means the cards are intuitive enough. I'm just paranoid is all :P

Which brings me to asking this: for Pathfinder, I take that it counts towards the hand limit of 5 as well?

Thanks again for your swift response!

----------

Edit: Just had my 1st co-op experience & it was extremely tensed! Had 2 extra questions though ^^''

1st question wrote:
Scenario: We used scout & saw that up ahead was the peril that deal affliction if you had any cards at hand(forgot name), & it was my turn. Using the trading rule, I "traded" my partner the 1 card from my hand, leaving my hand empty before I pushed onto that peril & "negated" it.... still lost tho

Is that sort of 'trading' legal?

2nd question wrote:
Also in the rulebook it's stated that action cards can be played at any time (except when encountering perils where only reaction cards can be used).

a) Does this mean my partner could use actions (let's say scout) while it's my turn to scavenge to aid me?

b) There's some perils that say "Gain affliction unless discard/ use card X". Let's say it's my turn to scavenge & I got hit by 1, without having card X in my hand... can my partner discard from his hand card X to help negate the peril?
My guess is no but had to ask :P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Mononen
Finland
Kerava
flag msg tools
We nostalgically watch "Hocus Pocus"!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Insane came up in this thread I guess I could piggyback: Yesterday when I had this affliction, the three piles all had tier 1 cars at the top. I drew one card from one pile, revealing another tier 1 card underneath it. Ergo I couldn't draw another card that turn, got horribly afflicted again via starvation and promptly lost the game. Did I play Insane correctly? Ie. if there are no options to draw anything but a 2nd card of the same tier as previous you can't draw anymore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Brackenridge
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
Trade/Give Cards
You can give/trade whenever you like UNLESS a Peril is Scavanged.

If that happens, the Active Player cannot give cards, but an be given cards.

Other Player's Turns
From everything I have read, you can basically do whatever you want on their turn. That does not involve taking cards illegally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me expand one of these a bit, because it turned up for me once.
genesyx wrote:
Quote:
Blinded: Scavenge cards face down, then reveal them one by one in any order.

Let me get this straight. Does this mean I could scavenge as much as I want face down, and only turn them up 1 by 1 in any order right after I've decided to stop scavenging? I assume I'll have to turn of the scavenged card face up, whether I like it or not?

Also assuming I've scavenged 6 cards, & I revealed a peril as 2nd card in the row. Would the peril discard all 6 scavenged cards or just the ones in front of it?

Do you have to flip face-up all of the cards you scavenged face-down? I'm guessing yes, otherwise you could do something extreme like scavenge the entire pile, then flip only the tier 1 cards (which are the least likely to be negative).

wintomee wrote:
Shame on us so many things are unclear, and thank you for making a list like this.

Just because people ask for clarifications doesn't mean the rules are unclear. As you noted, most of the cards mentioned were understood correctly by genesyx, and reading them now, I would have come up with pretty much the same interpretation in most cases. I think that sometimes we players just want to make sure we're not making mistakes following the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sea
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VierasTalo wrote:
Since Insane came up in this thread I guess I could piggyback: Yesterday when I had this affliction, the three piles all had tier 1 cars at the top. I drew one card from one pile, revealing another tier 1 card underneath it. Ergo I couldn't draw another card that turn, got horribly afflicted again via starvation and promptly lost the game. Did I play Insane correctly? Ie. if there are no options to draw anything but a 2nd card of the same tier as previous you can't draw anymore?

I think you did play it correctly. This is judging from the designer's answer to my Gutless question above, in which you can't scavenge the next tier 3 card if you've already scavenged one, thus forcing you to end your scavenge.

Dronak wrote:
Do you have to flip face-up all of the cards you scavenged face-down? I'm guessing yes, otherwise you could do something extreme like scavenge the entire pile, then flip only the tier 1 cards (which are the least likely to be negative)

I would say yes too, else blinded would just allow you to scavenge the whole pile & pick & choose all the tiers 1 if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.