Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does anybody else use Mayday Card Game Premium sleeves?

I keep finding that when you receive a pack of sleeves, they will all be cut to 91mm tall or 89mm tall...

Surely this isn't normal or acceptable?

The shorter size barely protects the open edge of the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday is pretty notorious at this point for having disparities in their cuts. I use FFG Standard sleeves as I like the quality and never run into production issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Moore
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm the same, but prefer KMC for my standard card sizes...FFG for board game cards and alternate standard card sizes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Over here in the UK, Mayday seem to be the cheapest brand by far. And when you receive the longer size, they are great.

I'd love to have FFG or KMC ones but they are way more expensive.

Also, the entire first cycle is Mayday sleeved already!

Does anybody else just use Mayday and have to return loads of packs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Horinek
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
Dan Dare, 1950
badge
Stairway scare, Dan Dare, who's there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to have this problem with Dragon Shields.
I have been using KMC since, and they are just great. I love the matt, anti-glare edition especially...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I swore off Mayday years ago due to their poor quality control. They were frequently too skinny and couldn’t fit the cards they were supposed to fit.

It appears from your post that they’re still having quality control issues, and reaffirms my choice to buy other brands. I mostly use FFG, but sometimes Ultra Pro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:
Over here in the UK, Mayday seem to be the cheapest brand by far...

Does anybody else just use Mayday and have to return loads of packs?

The last time I ever bought Mayday, I bought them in bulk (like 10-15 packs) I had a huge number of ill-fitting sleeves (more than ~40%). I asked for replacements, and they obliged. The replacements largely had the same issue. I had enough for my immediate purposes, so I didn’t bother asking for more. I just chose to buy another brand from there on out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultra Pro Matte are where it's at. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything but Mayday is where it’s at.

I bought enough sleeves to cover three big Dominion bozes and one small, and 90 of them split during the process. FFG’s brand has only failed me once, and UltraPro maybe twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday are the worst. UltraPro are the ultra best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Sawatzky
Canada
Randolph
MB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've sleeved all my player cards from AH and 75% of my player cards from LOTR with no issues whatsoever. Probably 1000 cards worth. I always go with Mayday Premium's for any card I use a lot. The encounter sets I always go with the regular 100 pack greens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
crogstad wrote:
I've sleeved all my player cards from AH and 75% of my player cards from LOTR with no issues whatsoever. Probably 1000 cards worth. I always go with Mayday Premium's for any card I use a lot. The encounter sets I always go with the regular 100 pack greens.

Is it possible you haven't noticed that some of them are 1 or 2 mm shorter than the rest?

I have this problem nearly every time I buy a few packs.

I'm a perfectionist about sleeving and always try and put the card in the middle - even though they never stay there. Sad, I know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I feel like I am doomed to keep getting Mayday. To sleeve the next cycle in FFG, I'd have to re-sleeve the first cycle too.

It's, like £50 (65 $) to buy FFG sleeves again for two cores, the first cycle and PODs! (Mayday "Premium is £34 /44 $ for that amount.)

If I wanted to buy again in Mayday it would be £34 (44 $).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a lot of Mayday premiums before I ran into the size disparity, at which point I stopped. Now I have this big stock of Maydays that I use for whatever card game I'm playing a lot of at the moment.

Someday when that stock winnows down through use and acquiring high card count games, I'll assess the sleeve options available at that time and decide how to proceed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had this problem with all the brands I've used (Arcane tinmen, Dragon Shield, Ultra Pro, Ultimate Safeguard) with Ultimate being the worst offender, to the point where the cards couldn't fit in the sleeve entirely, thus the cards were damaged when shuffled and I basically threw $40 off the window -.-

Mayday is my favorite brand now because they're cheap and they provide reusable plastic bags that are very useful. Although their premiums are rather thin I must say, their pennies are satisfactory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Mayday Premium exclusively (never the non-premium though, they're terrible). You will have some size issues, but I use a paper trimmer on the extra-long ones.

I would use FFG (great quality!) but they are even longer than the long Mayday sleeves, so I'd have to trim 100% of them (they are WAY too long) instead of around 30% from Mayday.

Ultra-pros are great sleeves with great fits but I absolutely loathe the hologram, so I refuse to use them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They removed the hologram about 6-12 months ago. You may still find some on old stock. I go with Ultra Pro mostly because they provide a high quality matte sleeve. I wish more companies would do matte sleeves, they are so much nicer to use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
They removed the hologram about 6-12 months ago. You may still find some on old stock. I go with Ultra Pro mostly because they provide a high quality matte sleeve. I wish more companies would do matte sleeves, they are so much nicer to use.

Is that why a huge batch had messed up holofoil stamps? They look goddamn ugly :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean. Hard to describe without pictures but they removed the reflective hologram and replaced it with a transparent style "hologram". With a card inserted I barely notice it. That said I pretty much use Ultra Pro exclusively so my brain is prob a bit biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a transparent holofoil and it's much higher on the sleeve than it used to be. It's quite ugly and even more annoying than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Tegg
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow, there really is a gap in the market for consistently cut, hologram-free card sleeves at a lower price point.

The hologram thing has put me off. Reckon I'm going to sell the other half of the house for FFG card sleeves. FFG will fully own my house then, and I'll have to squat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
I got a transparent holofoil and it's much higher on the sleeve than it used to be. It's quite ugly and even more annoying than before.

I agree. I just bought some and it looks more like a printing error rather than an improved feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent of Cthulhu wrote:
Wow, there really is a gap in the market for consistently cut, hologram-free card sleeves at a lower price point.

Yes, quality costs. That means either KMC or Dragon Shield. I settled on KMC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.