Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
Hi guys,

do you play any new similar feel game like this? (2016-2017-2018?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like asymmetry there are lots of other games (Checkout Neuroshima Hex maybe).

If you like the strategy and asymmetry in a longer/complex game, I'm currently excited about the Root Kickstarter for having a high degree of both.

What aspects of CitOW do you find yourself enjoying the most? That might help us give you some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Cry Havoc, but it looked as if it had similar features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a stretch: Dominant Species.

Variable player powers, area majority, slowly destroying the world, works best at exactly 4 players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ess Why
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars is often compared to Chaos in the old world. Or is that one too old (2015)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glorantha: The Gods War might be an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ymrde Buno
Czech Republic
Prague
flag msg tools
mb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
If you like asymmetry there are lots of other games (Checkout Neuroshima Hex maybe).

If you like the strategy and asymmetry in a longer/complex game, I'm currently excited about the Root Kickstarter for having a high degree of both.

What aspects of CitOW do you find yourself enjoying the most? That might help us give you some ideas.

Yea i have Neuroshima. It is not so new

I love asymmetry (but it is not important in this way), figures (not oversize), clean rules but deep and complex game, map! (dont need modular), dark theme is fine, play time up to 3 hours, but more then 1h., Hybrid play style(euro/amero), area control, strong interaction from beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are the games, that I know of, that have been closely compared:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170216/blood-rage

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/139976/cthulhu-wars

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/157917/lord-ice-gard...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/130911/batman-gotham...

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/164702/glorantha-god...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
Blood Rage

This was my first thought as well. Blood Rage, while different in some respects, has a similar feel to Chaos. It has the same strategic feeling and makes use of the power meter to summon units. And, although the players start equally, they quickly become asymmetrical through the card draft.

I don't think Blood Rage replaces Chaos. I own both and plan to keep both. But it will certainly feel familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dsco bee
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
Bgg cultist
badge
Bgg cultist
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars has some similarities, including the obvious Warhammer / 40K / Games Workshop connection. Asymmetrical factions, dudes on a map, Euro style mechanics, and of course, cool minis bro.

CitOW is one of my favourite games and I bought FS in the hopes of getting a similar experience for two players. Not quite been that way in practice but it's a cracking game that I want to play more of. Worth a look if you can find a copy, I think it fits all the criteria in your second post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Copp
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely Cthulhu Wars. It just finished its third kickstarter campaign. Incredible game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Swannack
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
There's a lot of good suggestions here. I would second Cry Havoc which meets all of your goals and I think is one of the few games that matches CitOW feeling of asymmetric distinct factions.

Clockwork Wars might be worth looking at as well. It doesn't have minis, but meets all your other goals. It's a bit more chaotic than CitOW, but definitely worth researching if you're looking for something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eurox wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

I love asymmetry (but it is not important in this way), figures (not oversize), clean rules but deep and complex game, map! (dont need modular), dark theme is fine, play time up to 3 hours, but more then 1h., Hybrid play style(euro/amero), area control, strong interaction from beginning.

If the asymmetrical aspect is not as important check out Inis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:
Eurox wrote:
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

If the asymmetrical aspect is not as important check out Inis.

Inis is no hybrid.

+1 for Clockwork Wars!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
oooh that tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Time of Crisis

It only meets some of your checklist, as follows:

asymmetry (but it is not important in this way) - Not at start, but quickly appears.
figures (not oversize) - None
clean rules but deep and complex game - Yes
map! - Yes, it's a beauty
dark theme - It's historical, so I'm not sure if that's dark or not.
play time up to 3 hours, but more then 1h - yes, but could go over 3 hrs.
Hybrid play style(euro/amero) - probably
area control - Yes
strong interaction from beginning - Absolutely!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Wars has three similarities to CitOW:

1. Asymmetrical factions with unique upgrades
2. Use or lose all your power each turn
3. Victory points

That's really it, unless you count that there are dice used in combat. They work differently, though. There are no dials; points are earned differently; the various tokens that hit the board in CitOW do not exist in CW; there are only six upgrades per faction and you MUST get them all to win; movement is not so restricted in CW; etc. Both are great games (CW is better IMO), but they are not particularly similar past the surface-level elements above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The dials and their bonuses are replaced by the spellbooks. Instead of victory by dial or points, CW needs both. Instead of a single condition for advancement, CW has six. CW features the three same levels of units (terrors were added later). Thematically similar, cultists and demons completing with vastly different player powers, the currency structure is the same. Cultists are the lowest level, yet the most important, of the units.

CW is streamlined and better designed, but more similar than different to CitOW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
CW is streamlined and better designed, but more similar than different to CitOW.

We'll just have to disagree on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
n815e wrote:

I've played both - I also think CW and CitOW are very similar games. Obviously there are a lot of mechanical differences. They are not the same experience and are both entirely separate games, but thematically and in terms of the type of games they are, yes. Asymmetric factional critters on a map fighting for area control with a wide variety of powers and victory conditions, chucking dice to kill each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll have to disagree as well!

I've also played both games, and both of you are describing broad mechanical and thematic similarities. But what similarities they do have notwithstanding, I disagree that they are more similar than they are different — both mechanically and, especially, strategically.

The manner in which the two games play out and the mechanics of how you win are very different (dominating areas with the most presence and card value and scoring regions vs. controlling gates you have to defend and spending power to double your points; Chaos card placement and effects; practical use of monsters and GOOs vs. lesser and greater demons; two ways to end the game in CW vs. four in CitOW; etc.).

Yeah, both games have Cultists that are your cheapest way to spread across the board; other than that they aren't really used in the same way (CW's power generation relies greatly on Cultists; CitOW's doesn't). Both have graduating tiers of monsters that aren't really comparable across games. There's no analog to Chaos cards, Old World cards, conquest/resistance value, or the various tokens in CW at all. Play them back to back and you're not going to feel like you've played the same game twice (as opposed to, say, Descent and Imperial Assault).

Chaos in the Old World is nearly as similar to Twilight Struggle in many ways (regional scoring, area domination through influence, faction-specific cards played each round) as it is to Cthulhu Wars, whereas Cthulhu Wars isn't really similar to Twilight Struggle at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cry Havoc is nowhere near similar and is a terrible game. Avoid this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Thompson-Wood
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
n815e wrote:

Absolutely. I sold my CW because every time I played it I wished I was playing Chaos in the Old World. CW just felt like CitOW "light" even though the games took longer to finish. Once I got over the "ooh and ahh" of the big models, I quickly grew to tired of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the various factions, maps and independents we're far from ever tiring of CW; it's our go-to game when we don't have something else planned. Helps that it can play 3-8, too, since game night attendance really varies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Man
Italy
Milan
flag msg tools
Spazzfist wrote:
Cry Havoc is nowhere near similar and is a terrible game. Avoid this one!

This! Cry Havoc was a big delusion for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.