Subject: The problem with murder mystery movies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the upcoming release of the new star-studded Agatha Christie Murder on the Orient Express, I find myself to be wildly conflicted.

While I generally find it hard to appreciate any mystery movies in which I already know “whodunnit”, this one looks like it will be a real hoot.

Is there a chance that they've re-written the ending and it will surprise me?
Hollywood loves a happy, or a predictable, or a neatly tied-up ending, so I highly doubt they've done that. But maybe?

Do you know of any murder mysteries that you can watch, again and again, even though you know how they end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really murder mysteries, per se, but I really enjoy the Thin Man series, and watch them multiple times even knowing the outcomes.

(or, I guess, maybe they are murder mysteries...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll see if it I get the chance. Frankly, I hope they don't change the ending! The ending is the best part of MOTOE. For any other ending to make sense, they would have to change the mystery so much that it won't be the same story at all. I'm happy to see a great book turned into a (hopefully great) movie, whether it manages to surprise me at the end or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the one where it turns out the conductor killed everyone, right?

...oh, sorry, should I have spoilered that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am reminded of the film Murder by Death and it's satirical comments on so called who done it's, and how they cheat so badly to make their detectives seem ohh so clever.

Not that I do not enjoy the better ones, I just do not think they are quite the intellectual pursuit some claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched the David Suchet "Poirot" series so many times. I don't mind that I already know the ending, I just enjoy seeing the stories again and again. That said, I'm a bit undecided about seeing the new Orient Express as David Suchet is Poirot for me and he did such a great job with Orient Express. But, I am interested to see how the two versions differ. I might go see it as a matinee. I do love Kenneth Branagh, and many of the cast of the new movie.

The thing about Suchet's Poirot, is that he encompassed the little Belgian with all his flaws and idiosyncrasies, but he made Poirot respectable and not silly. I worry that Branagh will be a ridiculous Poirot (the giant mustache worries me). Orient Express is such a moving story, full of emotion, and I just would hate for it to be made silly and lighthearted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indy418 wrote:
I've watched the David Suchet "Poirot" series so many times. I don't mind that I already know the ending, I just enjoy seeing the stories again and again. That said, I'm a bit undecided about seeing the new Orient Express as David Suchet is Poirot for me and he did such a great job with Orient Express. But, I am interested to see how the two versions differ. I might go see it as a matinee. I do love Kenneth Branagh, and many of the cast of the new movie.

The thing about Suchet's Poirot, is that he encompassed the little Belgian with all his flaws and idiosyncrasies, but he made Poirot respectable and not silly. I worry that Branagh will be a ridiculous Poirot (the giant mustache worries me). Orient Express is such a moving story, full of emotion, and I just would hate for it to be made silly and lighthearted.
Peter Ustinov!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

Do you know of any murder mysteries that you can watch, again and again, even though you know how they end?

Yes. One of them is the original "Murder on the Orient Express."

EDIT: Also, any episode of "Columbo." (Of course, they always show you who the murderer is at the beginning . . . the fun is watching how Columbo solves the crime).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mb
I saw the trailer when I waited for "It" to start.
I thought "really? another one?"

Meh.

"Murder by Death" I like to watch again and again though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could watch the BBC Miss Marples with Joan Hickson over and over again because they are just perfect.

And Clue of course. Even if I can recite it line by line now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mb
MABBY wrote:
Is there a chance that they've re-written the ending and it will surprise me?

Probably not, but I find myself truly enjoying movies even the 10th time I see them because of clever dialogues, costumes, great acting and all the rest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maho wrote:
I saw the trailer when I waited for "It" to start.
I thought "really? another one?"

Meh.

"Murder by Death" I like to watch again and again though.

Intentional irony.... ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Murder mysteries literally put me to sleep. I dont mean to say they are boring to me. I don't mind them. I just seem to fall asleep when watching them. I dont know what it is.... just happens.

So in that sense I can watch them again and again because I rarely actually find out whodunit.

Even the ones i have seen all the way through - solutions rarely stick in my head.

Having said that, orient express is one of the few I do remember. I read it as a kid and at the time thought it was a massive cop out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
THe video quality is bad, but I can watch episodes of Mathnet again and again.
Damn, but that was a funny show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
Woody Allen's Manhattan Murder Mystery is one of my all time favorites and I have watched it many times.

I have also watched Ustinov's Murder on the Orient Express multiple times and always enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they keep the ending. Because, you know... it's pretty rad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
I find myself truly enjoying movies even the 10th time I see them because of clever dialogues, costumes, great acting and all the rest

You just summed up "Witness for the Prosecution" with Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually won't watch them again, because for me the majority of the appeal is the surprise.

I guess I would watch The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) again.

Oh! Probably:
Psycho
and other Hitchcock films, but those are more horror/suspense than murder mysteries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope not. The last movie with a classic twist ending to be remade with a new ending was Planet of the Apes, and we all know how well Aperaham Lincoln went over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
I hope not. The last movie with a classic twist ending to be remade with a new ending was Planet of the Apes, and we all know how well Aperaham Lincoln went over.
Marvel(us)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As said before, Murder by Death is great as are the the Thin Man movies.

I don't think much of the new Murder on the Orient Express. Like others, David Suchet is the paramount Poirot, but I've actually tired of watching it.

Also, love to watch the movie Clue over and over.

Then, the crazy types of murder found in Midsomer Murders.

I find that if I haven't watched a show or movie for awhile, I have forgotten enough that I can rewatch because i actually forgot whodunnit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Scarlet Witch wrote:
I find myself truly enjoying movies even the 10th time I see them because of clever dialogues, costumes, great acting and all the rest

You just summed up "Witness for the Prosecution" with Charles Laughton and Marlene Dietrich.

Ooo....I need to see that one. I think I saw pieces of it and never the whole thing. I know that it is deliciously twisty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murder by Death spawned a better film, The Cheap Detective

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life.
mb
okiedokie wrote:
Murder by Death spawned a better film, The Cheap Detective

I've seen it.
Still "Murder by Death" I find much funnier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the hell would anyone decide that it is a good idea to film a murder mystery where everybody, their nephew, and their grandmother already KNOWS the outcome before going into the theater? What a stupid concept.

I mean, I never saw the earlier movies, and never read the book, and I STILL know the outcome. Even if there are great acting performances to admire (maybe), and/or great camera work (maybe, though a murder mystery does not lend itself very well for that), the thing that should be the basic attraction of the movie (whodunnit) is already down the drain before they start shooting. Why not write an original story? It is not as if Agatha Christy is such a great resource for MOVIE scripts (I don't care about her books either, but even if I did, all the details of the books tend to not translate very well to a tight script).

They'll probably make it some sort of costume drama, where everybody will say "Yeah, the plot I knew already and the acting was over-the-top, but the COSTUMES..."

Anyway, what I would like to see is a version of Ten Little Indians, where they actually shoot 10 slightly different scripts, each of them having a different murderer -- and then you go into the theater and don't know which one they will show. It's probably too expensive and too experimental, but it could be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.