Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent insert. I noticed the bit about the extra tech token padding as well, and added them afterwards. Also, and this is probably just me misreading, but I sometimes had a hard time telling the difference between "4" and "9", so initially my federation tray walls were 5mm too tall

For the Thingy, I actually found a SINGLE thingy is actually a pretty good size, but the hole is jut a bit too big for the federation tray, so I created a little mini-Thingy to fill in the gap. It makes the federation tray not in the center of what the two-Thingy configuration would do, but it fits just as nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Baker
United States
New York
flag msg tools
This looks awesome! I might try it. Dumb question though... What kind of glue do you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
r0cknes wrote:
This looks awesome! I might try it. Dumb question though... What kind of glue do you use?

I just used a hot glue gun. It worked fine, and the few times where I used a bit too much I just had to scrape off the excess once it dried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Schimunek
Austria
St. Poelten
flag msg tools
i use AMI foam board glue - works very fine because you can move things around for a few minutes to adjust everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natalie
msg tools
mb
I really like this design but wanted to 3D print instead of foam core, so here is my take on it!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2753621

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Me
msg tools
Very cool! Can anyone tell to newbie, how much foam core do I need to buy? is 1000x1400 will enough (count on the fact this would be first try and I can waste some foam core)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Must Die wrote:
Very cool! Can anyone tell to newbie, how much foam core do I need to buy? is 1000x1400 will enough (count on the fact this would be first try and I can waste some foam core)?

I was able to build it with one foam core sheet. But before I did any cutting, I spent some time (and used a program) to optimize the cuts to best use it. I don't think I saved the file that I made, but I used some version of program when I did a search for "nesting software free".

With the nesting, I had enough extra to fix a few mistakes I had when cutting.

I'm not an expert Foam Core Builder, either, so it wasn't perfect, but it was plenty good enough

The one thing I may add is putting thin cardboard walls on the Federation Token wells so they don't fall out as easily, and I may do something to the Power Token well to make it easier to get the tokens out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me Me
msg tools
Guy, who did this in 3 hours, I pretty sure you're not human Took around 10 hours for me to make this. But I'm really satisfied, very useful and looks cool. Thsnks again for those plans!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Gottlieb

Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it. I love the black paneled foam core. What do the asterisks on the last page of the diagrams mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hammer
United States
Durham
NC
flag msg tools
GLORBUS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asuah wrote:
I really like this design but wanted to 3D print instead of foam core, so here is my take on it!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2753621

Damn I wish I had a 3D printer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bram
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
luiginumber1 wrote:
I love it. I love the black paneled foam core. What do the asterisks on the last page of the diagrams mean?

Some padding needs to be added to the bottom of some of the trays to be able to lift out the tokens inside. I didn't draw the padding in my diagram, but I indicated it with text and asterisks.

Please note that I made a small mistake. You'll need six pieces of 54x36 mm padding (two times three) instead of three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG!

After reading this thread and deciding I wanted to build this insert, I fell down a rabbit hole and started to learn SketchUp (Per Colin Marsh's suggestion). I felt this would be a good starter project to learn the program. Here are Bram's original designs (Red) and Martin's modifications (Brown) in SketchUp format.

I could not get the dimensions of Martin's "Thingies" boards to fit. I believe the measurements are off. Bram did not give demensions on his design so I created my own based on my best guess.

I apologize if I got any of the numbers or Text wrong. Let me know if you see an error and I can fix it. I'm sure there's a better way to post these using SketchUp but if there is I don't know how. Thanks Bram for your hard work and Martin for your suggestions.

Thanks guys,
Kyle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.