Hide
13 Posts

Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Davi
msg tools
In case this has already been answered or it is just being dumb, please accept my apologies. I am some issue understanding the definition of range.

Lets use the example from https://perditionsmouth.com/examples/, what would be the range from Simma to Bastian? For me, it can be either 3 or 5.

Why 3: counting each diagonal square as one. Problem with this approach is that range characters can basically hit everything in any room.
Why 5: minimum number of square (or movements) to get Simma at range 1 of Bastian, which is 4, plus 1 (range 1). This sounds more reasonable to me.

Related (for bonus points): if Simma was to banish Bastian, will he move? Is it range in a cone computed differently than range for attack? Bastian seems to be in a cone at range 3 from Simma.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just follow the rules in the book.

Rules, Page 11:

"Range is the shortest distance from one square to another that you can trace with adjacent or diagonal squares."

So the range is 3.

Range is always calculated using the rule quoted above, whether using a cone or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Regarding range it would be 3. Unlike movement, range is calculated using diagonal along with adjacent squares, whatever is the shortest path. Just keep in mind when calculating LOS and range you can only cross the corner of a single square no matter if those corners are spaced apart or share the same edge.

Regarding the bonus... Banish should affect heroes same as enemies(except large like Chi'leens).

So banish is a cone attack. To calculate a cone you must select an adjacent square(not diagonal) to start from. The cone will go 6 squares back. Starting from where you start it affects that square, then the 3 squares behind that, then the 5 behind that, then the 7 behind that and so on until you reach 6 squares back from the character who started the cone attack.

You must still account for things that block your line of sight as you the monsters have to be in the cone AND you most have line of sight.

If you look at page 24 of the rulebook in the left side bar at the bottom you can see a picture of a cone attack to help you understand the pattern. It took me a long time to understand this but once you do you will realize it is actually a very very easy thing to do.

Edit: as Alex has corrected me on (thank you) the Banish would not reach Bastian. The cone spell would only reach the square just above Bastian and to his right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
msg tools
mb
Quote:

Related (for bonus points): if Simma was to banish Bastian, will he move? Is it range in a cone computed differently than range for attack? Bastian seems to be in a cone at range 3 from Simma.

Thanks

From my understanding Bastion is not in the cone Simma could draw from himself. I think it's pretty clear in the rule book how the cone "fans out".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Blurg you're right. I looked at the picture wrong.

I've corrected my post for correct info. Thanks very much for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Banish specifically says it targets enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Davi
msg tools
Thanks, I always played with range 3 and have no clue why yesterday I started to have doubts.

One point:
feartheclown wrote:

Regarding the bonus... Banish should affect heroes same as enemies(except large like Chi'leens).

Banish ia not an attack and it explicitly say it targets only enemies, unless there is some faq correcting the text on Simma's sheet. I checked the picture again and true, Bastian is not in a cone area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a part in the rulebook regarding cone attacks I realized I have missed, that miniatures don't affect LOS so that all makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
There's a part in the rulebook regarding cone attacks I realized I have missed, that miniatures don't affect LOS so that all makes sense.

Eh?

miniatures don't affect LoS? Not so in PM:AR...

cone attacks are not LoS related, but when LoS is needed it would be essential to keep in mind that figures typically DO block LoS, no matter if they are enemy or ally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mrakomor wrote:
Banish specifically says it targets enemies.

Very true, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Eridis wrote:
feartheclown wrote:

Eh?

cone attacks are not LoS related, but when LoS is needed it would be essential to keep in mind that figures typically DO block LoS, no matter if they are enemy or ally

'Concealments, treasure chests, portcullises, heroes and enemies do not block the cone's area of effect - it blasts through each figure hitting them as it goes.'

Is that not the same as saying miniatures do not affect LoS on a cone attack? I just want to make sure my understanding of this is 100%>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
Eridis wrote:
feartheclown wrote:

Eh?

'Concealments, treasure chests, portcullises, heroes and enemies do not block the cone's area of effect - it blasts through each figure hitting them as it goes.'

Is that not the same as saying miniatures do not affect LoS on a cone attack? I just want to make sure my understanding of this is 100%>

No, it is not same. Cone works regardless of the LoS.
I'd not mix LoS in cone in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sure that's fair, I am over applying the term LoS but the explanation means the same to me. Thanks for clarifying, I'm clear on the topic now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.