Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Long Rest Clarification Needed Please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chester Hsu
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
When you are forced to do a long rest in the first phase of a round because you don’t have any cards in your hand, and if there are only two cards left in the discard, then since you have to discard one of those cards, you are only left with one card in your hand. Are you allowed to play just one card (and choose top or bottom action) the next round?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope -- you are exhausted. You need at least 2 cards in your hand to perform an action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hsu
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you, however what I don’t understand is that the rules say you can do a long rest if you have at least 2 cards left in your discard. That seems sill if you end up with just one card you can’t play. Why even let you do a long rest in the first place? Doesn’t make any sense

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes all the party needs is you too soak a couple more hits before you exhaust so the others can finish the scenario. It can be a huge boon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Beznosyuk
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Beside being a target for monsters damage, this also gives an additional turn to your summons (which still act on your long rest)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
Nope -- you are exhausted. You need at least 2 cards in your hand to perform an action.

You aren't actually exhausted until the following turn, though you can't actually do anything except act as a decoy for monster attacks. Though as pointed out already, your summoned allies can still activate this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester Hsu
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, how about this situation? The other characters you are playing with are taking long rests on a turn. You just took a rest, played a turn, and now you have all refreshed cards except the two you just played on the last turn. You feel there is nothing that you can do without your party also acting ... maybe you just cleared a room and you don't want to open that door as the only active character, so you want to rest. As long as you have at least 2 cards in your discard pile, you can take a long rest.

That is the situation I envisioned when I read this rule. Prevents multiple back to back long rests in order to regain HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have won a scenario with my retaliate 2 with this rule, so, yes, it's useful rule. (unfortunatly, the monster Heal 2 instead of striking me and fall under my retaliate... 1 chance on 8 to lose...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nils Meissner
Scotland
Edinburgh
Lothians
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would mean that you lose 2 cards in a row though, as you lose a card every time you rest. Losing cards (especially early ) is really bad in the game. Essentially this means that you should have communicated with your fellows better and do the long rest together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.