Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone.

The rules for After the Virus are often different than what you find in other games, so I thougt I'd post some useful reminders:

* There's a difference between discard, kill/remove, and destroy. Read the cards carefully.

* Playing a card is not the same as discarding it, so you can't pay costs by playing events for their effect. For example, Safe House can't be used to save survivors at the same time it is discarded to prepare Lab or Tunnel.

* When you retrieve a card, it normally goes sideways into your tableau, not to the discard pile. That means they can potentially be prepared and used during the same turn. Only event cards (red) go to the discard pile when retrieved.

* When saving survivors, you can choose to count them as saved (this is only useful if the mission is to save survivors), or they can bring you a new card from the top of the area deck sideways into your tableau. VIP can also be used for either effect, and when you save more than one survivor, you can choose to split the effects between counting them as saved and getting gear for them.

* Cards never become unprepared ('tapped'), and so can't use their prepare-cost again. This means you can't reload weapons that are loaded as a prepare cost.

* Any cards can be used as ammo (inserted under a weapon when that weapon instructs you to).

* Magazine can be used to reload a weapon via its own effect, regardless of what the weapon says.

* If a card doesn't say 'once/turn', then it can be used several times as long as it's still in play.

* A zombie card with several zombies have several zombies that are dealt with separately. They can attack separately, and be killed or discarded separately (but if any of them are discarded then the whole card will be discarded when every zombie on it has been dealt with).

* A card that discards / kills a zombie card affects all zombies on that card.

* Keep the decks separate at all times!

* Always wait for all players to finish the turn before drawing new cards for the next turn!

* All players need to meet the mission goal at the same time in order to win. If you meet it before the others, you must keep playing and still meet the goal when they also meet it.

* You (the player board) is also considered a prepard person, and so will help uot when using Crossfire.

I hope this helps and that you'll survive After the Virus.
Cheers!
/Jacob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olly The Noob

Lancashire
msg tools
mbmb
I am still looking for a way to buy this game in the UK. Any suggestions, as my FLGS cant find it either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Anon12 wrote:
I am still looking for a way to buy this game in the UK. Any suggestions, as my FLGS cant find it either?

It hasn't yet been sent from the factory, but I hope distributors start to register the game soon so it can be ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olly The Noob

Lancashire
msg tools
mbmb
Thank goodness for that. I thought I had missed out. Please can you send a reminder or a way to track it when it hits retail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this post... it's probably good to add that your Character is considered to be a "Prepared Person" for the use of cards like Crossfire.

I don't think this is mentioned anywhere in the rulebook and if it isn't I think it's important for people to know this because it can make a big difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Brickarp
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
* Cards never become unprepared ('tapped'), and so can't use their prepare-cost again. This means you can't reload weapons that are loaded as a prepare cost.

I assume this also means a weapon cannot be discarded when prepared if no specific discard effect is available, correct? The only way to get rid of a weapon with no discard effect would thus be to prepare 2 other weapons (1 with wounded hands) and then choose to destroy the weapon in question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
brickuz wrote:
Fryxen wrote:

I assume this also means a weapon cannot be discarded when prepared if no specific discard effect is available, correct? The only way to get rid of a weapon with no discard effect would thus be to prepare 2 other weapons (1 with wounded hands) and then choose to destroy the weapon in question?

Yes. Correct. Or get wounded in the arm while having 2 and be forced to destroy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuluneken ...
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

This is my first post on bgg meeple, first of all I apologize if my english is not really good, not used to it.
I bought the spanish version of the game a couple days ago and I liked it, feels addictive and hard haha. I played the first chapter (1C is really hard wow) but I have some doubts with couple things that hope you can resolve so I dont do involuntary cheating whistle. (Im a newbie on board/card games).

My main problem is with multiple Zombie Cards.

*EDIT: Ok, as I was Writting this post I realized there are cards that kills/discard Zombies and other ones that do the same on Zombie CARDS so I just understood the difference and maybe a way to deal with big Zombie Hordes Cards haha.

Still confused thought with the discard deck. To "kill" or "eliminate" a Zombie card from your discard deck back to the zombie deck, do you still need to kill all zombies on the card?.

Example: Cards like the weapon "Rifle" says: once per turn discard 1 ammo to Kill 1 Zombie in game or in the discard deck. This means with this card I could only move "1 Zombie Cards" from discards to zombie deck. This means that if I want to move a "3 Zombie card" from discards to zombie deck I have to use a combo Like Rifle + Guide? (Guide says that it eliminates 2 zombies of any discard deck).

About the Injuries I think i understood it. If at the end of the turn I have a 2 Zombie card and 1 Zombie card on the board, I would take only 2 Injuries, right? (If im right, cards with 2+ zombies makes you deal with zombies separately to kill them but only do 2 injury per card).

By the way, is nice to know that I also count as a prepared person for crossfire haha.

The last doubt to know if im playing nice or cheating is about the end of turn and the draw phase. On the manual it says (sorry for my poor translation):
Quote:
The turn ends when theres no attacking zombies, players dont have any cards left on hand and no player wants to do any more actions

Does this mean I MUST use ALL the 5 cards before ending the turn?. Saving a couple for the next turn could be more strategic, but I'm not sure if I can do it or not.

Thanks for your patience and for the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kuluneken wrote:
My main problem is with multiple Zombie Cards.

*EDIT: Ok, as I was Writting this post I realized there are cards that kills/discard Zombies and other ones that do the same on Zombie CARDS so I just understood the difference and maybe a way to deal with big Zombie Hordes Cards haha.

Still confused thought with the discard deck. To "kill" or "eliminate" a Zombie card from your discard deck back to the zombie deck, do you still need to kill all zombies on the card?.

Example: Cards like the weapon "Rifle" says: once per turn discard 1 ammo to Kill 1 Zombie in game or in the discard deck. This means with this card I could only move "1 Zombie Cards" from discards to zombie deck. This means that if I want to move a "3 Zombie card" from discards to zombie deck I have to use a combo Like Rifle + Guide? (Guide says that it eliminates 2 zombies of any discard deck).

About the Injuries I think i understood it. If at the end of the turn I have a 2 Zombie card and 1 Zombie card on the board, I would take only 2 Injuries, right? (If im right, cards with 2+ zombies makes you deal with zombies separately to kill them but only do 2 injury per card).

By the way, is nice to know that I also count as a prepared person for crossfire haha.

The last doubt to know if im playing nice or cheating is about the end of turn and the draw phase. On the manual it says (sorry for my poor translation):
Quote:
The turn ends when theres no attacking zombies, players dont have any cards left on hand and no player wants to do any more actions

Does this mean I MUST use ALL the 5 cards before ending the turn?. Saving a couple for the next turn could be more strategic, but I'm not sure if I can do it or not.

Thanks for your patience and for the game!

Hi,

1) Yeah, generally Run is a weak card since it doesn't kill the zombies, but it can be a real life saver when you encounter bigger zombie cards.
2) Just like zombie cards in play, zombie cards in discard pile needs all their zombies dead or removed in order to send the zombie card to the zombie pile. Yes, Rifle + Guide would do the trick
3) You're wrong about the injuries.
The zombies attack during the turn, whenever you decide, and they attack individually, dealing 1 wound and dying. So a 2-zombie card would deal 2 wounds and a 1-zombie card deals 1 wound. Together they would deal 3 wounds. Each zombie attacks separately whenever you decide, not only at the end of the turn (even though that is the most usual).
So if you kill one of the zombies on a 2-zombie card, the remaining zombie on that card can attack, dealing 1 wound, and then both zombies are dead and the card goes to the zombie pile.
4) Yes, all players must spend all their cards each turn, just like in most deck builders. In this game you can instead have cards in play as a safety net for future turns.

Enjoy the game!
Cheers!
/Jacob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuluneken ...
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, thanks a lot, now I understand my mistakes and I'm Ready for Chapter 2!.

Hope my newbie questions help another people too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Beware chapter 2! And the rest of them too. They are all on hard difficulty, so I recommend starting at 1 wave lower than stated until you win regularily. Unless you want the real challenge of the post-apocalypse...

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuluneken ...
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, I saw that last night laugh couldnt achieve 2A, when 3 and 4 zombie cards enter the game I'm out. I was really close saving 5 ppl, but is hard to save all 6 with a prepared weapon before the hordes make it al complicated... but hey, post-apocalypse is what it is, i dont want an easy mode cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Peiró
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi Jacob,

I don't know about the rules in English, but in the Spanish version it says very clear that every zombie card deals 1 wound, no matter the number of zombies in that card. If you say that a card with 4 zombies can deal up to 4 wounds if you don't kill any zombie, this game is going to be almost impossible to beat hehehe.

I really hope that it is like the Spanish rules say...

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since I designed the game, I should know.
Sad that the translation wasn't great if that's the case, but a 4-zombie card will deal 4 damage in total if you don't kill/discard any of the zombies. All 4 will attack one at a time. On the other hand the zombie pile should always be stacked, so the 4-zombie cards shouldn't appear until late in the game.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuluneken ...
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, are you sure that you know how the game works? whistle Just joking, but yeah, spanish rulebook makes you think that each card makes 1 dmg despite you have to kill all zombies on it, thats why I also asked about that some posts before laugh

EDIT: BTW, still couldna chieve 2A Missión, mi record is 5 rescued people, the hordes always end up overcoming my health points :soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, from 2A and on, it's beast mode...
I usually scout a lot early and build up my deck before starting on the mission. Having more cards in your deck makes the Waves come slower and equips you for handling them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Brocksieper
Germany
Lüneburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jacob,

first of all your game is great. I like the rules, each card effect and the complete design. Really a great surprise...and surely challanging.

I join Kulunken that I also understood the german rules the same way like him.
The wording is that "each time only 1 zombie attacks, creates a wound and dies.

and now the problem sentence

Even if on the zombie card there are more zombies left, it is always only
1 zombie attacking at once.

This is mis-understood that after one attack, the whole zombie card dies as only one zombie will attack.

So thank you for your clarification, even that this makes the game even more harder.
But I also thought I would never succeed on 1B or 1C and did finally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olly The Noob

Lancashire
msg tools
mbmb
Where are you all buying this game from.?

I can't find it anywhere in the UK. Wayland games, my local FLGS even Amazon don't sell it.

Please let me know where I can get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We just sold a bunch to UK distributor Esdevium, so it should be in UK stores about 3 weeks from now is my guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the VIP interact with the Tunnel? Is he also free to save ready when you have a Ready Tunnel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Becker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it, VIP is a Person, Tunnel refers to “Persons”, so
yes.
Another question:
I am playing Scenario 1B as Adam, single player, my starting hand has 4 out of the 5 zombies that go there, that is an auto-loose, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarod wrote:
Got it, VIP is a Person, Tunnel refers to “Persons”, so
yes.
Another question:
I am playing Scenario 1B as Adam, single player, my starting hand has 4 out of the 5 zombies that go there, that is an auto-loose, right?

Pretty much, yes. On the other hand you can easily start over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Diaz
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Great game, love its mechanics. I have a question: if I use the cure on a zombie with a lab, I get a new smelly survivor and a the cure can go to my discard pile, granting I will get it again on next turns.

Can I repeat this to stack any amount of zombies-survivors?

Does this zombies-survivors have the 'person' trait to count for the trap that does one damage for every prepared person you control?

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can do that and yes they count as persons.
This is great for example when retrieving your family (oh no, they killed Kenny! Let's get him back again...). He can even help you set up a crossfire. Having several cured zombies in play is also great when facing an Assault - there'll be fewer zombie cards to add to hour deck!
Not to mention that the efficiency of Safe House goes up when you can save more people in one go.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Linke
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way :zombie cards returning to the zombie pile go "on top of the pile"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |