Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried to play this game today (bought it at Essen) and didn't get far. The rules in the box appear to be the new rules here: Rules updated new version !!

* At the start of the turn (first round), is it intended that each player should put down a face-down card, then once everyone has a card in front of them each player should take their action in turn (exchange with a player to the left, fold, card ability, exchange with hand)?

If not, then how does anyone exchange with a player to the left, since nobody to their left has a card on the table?

* At the end of each round, are the face-up cards discarded, or do they remain on the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
It's exaclty as you have described in your question. At the begining of each round all the players select the card they want to play and put it in front of them. Once everyone has selected the card each player should take their action in turn.

Once the round is finish, all the used cards are discarded. You could leave them in the table in a place where everybody can see them since it's useful to know wich cards have been played in order to decide your strategy for the next rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a proposed rewriting of the rules in English (for the 3-7 player game). Anyone else who knows the game, please take a look over it and let me know any errors or inclarities. I'll eventually uploaded this to the file area.

The game is played in a number of game turns equal to the number of players; starting with the player who was most recently in a castle and progressing clockwise, each player will be the Dealer once. First Player is the player to the immediate left of the Dealer. Each game turn consists of three rounds.

At the start of each game turn, the Dealer deals three cards to each player.

Each round:

Each player puts down a card face-down ("the card in front of you").

Anyone who played the King must now flip it face-up.

Each player in order, starting with the First Player, may check the card in front of them, then must choose to do one of four things:

① Exchange the card in front of you with the card in front of the player immediately to your left. (The Dealer is the last player, and can only exchange with a random card from the deck.)

② Use the ability of the card in front of you (Merchant, Thief, Juggler or Dragon). (Even if the ability has already been used by another player to put that card in front of you.)

③ Exchange the card in front of you with a card from your hand.

④ "Fold" and do nothing.

Once all players have acted, reveal all the cards on the table, and activate end-of-round abilities of the revealed cards (Innkeeper, Jester, Monk, Sorceress, Knight, Princess and Queen) in order from the First Player. A "turned" card is still face-up but with the art upside-down, and may have a different point value; a card "turned" again remains upside-down. "One of the players to your left" is anyone from the next player to the Dealer, inclusive. The Dealer has no player to their left.

If this is the first round of the game turn, the winner is the player with the highest value card (joint highest card means multiple winners). In the second round, it's the lowest card, and in the third it's intermediate cards (all the cards that are neither highest nor lowest). Each player with a winning card gets a point.

Discard all the cards on the table and continue with the next round.

At the end of the game turn, shuffle all cards for the next turn's deal, and the Dealer and First Player roles move one seat to the left.

At the end of the last game turn, the player with the second-highest points total is the winner. If there's a tie, play the entire game again.

(thanks to oskari for prompting tie clarification and a terminology cleanup, and lrodrigc for general clarification.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot to mention how ties are handled but otherwise this is a lot clearer than the printed rules.

Also, the 4th action should be ”pass” instead of ”fold”.

And you are still using the word ”turn” for three different things: 1) dealing & playing three cards, 2) the turn order, 3) and rotating a card 180 degrees
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
The first action you describe is not completely right. You can exchange your face-down card with the player just to your left, not any player to your left. Let me put an example to try to clarify this issue.
In a five player game (Sergi, Jim, Tom, Sara and Ana) the dealer is Sergi and the players are seated as follows:
* Sergi is the dealer
* Jim is on the left of Sergi
* Tom is on the left of Jim
* Sara is on the left of Tom
* and Ana is on the left of Sara and on the right of Sergi

Jim is the first player and in the “exchange your card” action the only player with whom he can change it is with Tom. Tom can only change it with Sara, Sara with Ana, Ana with Sergi and Sergi with the deck since he is the dealer and there is no “player to his left”.

Once all the player have acted and the end-of-round abilities are activated, the cards are “turned” only once. For instance if there are in play two knights and one dragon, the dragon only turns once. A ”turned” card cannot return to its original position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaise Cédric
France
Claye Souilly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the player before me changed it's card with mine, can I look at this face down card ?

Can Y use the abilitie of a my face up card ? (if a player give me the thief, can I use his abilities in my turn too ?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answers are "yes" and "yes", but I'll wait and see if the experts comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
Yes, you can always see the new card you just received.
For all purpose this is your new card so you can use the ability, change it with your hand, change it with the player on your left or keep it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that came up tonight: if you receive the King as your face-down card after the start of the round (e.g. because the previous player played the Dragon on you and you drew it from the deck),

① does it get turned face-up immediately? (assuming "yes")

② is it still immovable, e.g. you can't swap it with the next player's card? (assuming "yes, it's immovable")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
You are right in both assumptions.
Once you receive the king you must turn it immediately. You cannot change it with your hand or with the player on your left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lrodrigc wrote:
The first action you describe is not completely right. You can exchange your face-down card with the player just to your left, not any player to your left.

Perhaps it's a translation issue, but this does not seem to be what the English rules are saying. From the English rules:

Quote:
When a card's ability affects the players on the left, it includes all players left up to the player that is Dealer (included), but not beyond.

That seems to indicate that a player can interact with any player sitting to the left (basically, yet to take a turn this round) instead of only the player to the immediate left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be missing a distinction between "the player on your left" (e.g. the powers of the Monk and the Dragon, and the card exchange), which is that specific person, and "one of the players on your left" (e.g. the powers of the Juggler and the Thief), which is anyone between you and the Dealer, including the Dealer but nobody beyond that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
I think you may be missing a distinction between "the player on your left" (e.g. the powers of the Monk and the Dragon, and the card exchange), which is that specific person, and "one of the players on your left" (e.g. the powers of the Juggler and the Thief), which is anyone between you and the Dealer, including the Dealer but nobody beyond that.

The rulebook specifically defines "left" as what I typed above. You're telling me the game has two different definitions of "left"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm saying there's a distinction between "the player on your left" and "the players on your left".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.