Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: Collapsed and conquered rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Halley
msg tools
mb
Greetings everyone,
My friend and I just finished the Polish introductory scenario. This is a great game with a lot of nuances built into it. I found that the nuances forced us to plan our attacks carefully instead of just moving willy-nilly across the board.

But I am confused by the terms conquered and collapsed. There does not seem to be any difference between them. Maybe Poland is too small to show the difference. What am I missing?

Thanks
Dean Halley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A collapsed country could, in theory, rebuild and continue the fight. This would happen if all of their field armies were sent to fight and died (repeatedly.)

A conquered country is knocked out of the war permanently.

You get a conquered country if the country collapses and a Mainland city is occupied by the enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For that scenario there is no difference. There is a difference in the longer scenarios.

Collapsed is a country whose National Will drops to zero, but it is unoccupied by enemy forces. In this case the country loses all its military units, but it remains active and can rebuild those forces. This situation rarely happens.

Conquered is a country that has collapsed and has at least one of its cities occupied by enemy forces. In this case, the country loses all its forces and it is out for the rest of the scenario. Its forces can not be brought back into play.

Exceptions to the above are the UK, USA, and USSR. Collapse is the only thing that can happen to them, even if occupied by enemy forces. They have special rules if they collapse.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Halley
msg tools
mb
Thanks!
Great Game. I am looking forward to USAP (or is it USPA?).

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
deanhalley wrote:
Thanks!
Great Game. I am looking forward to USAP (or is it USPA?).

Dean

I'm glad you like it.

It's USAP. Whenever it eventually gets done.

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Futterer
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Kingdom Death: Monster
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
svasta wrote:
Conquered is a country that has collapsed and has at least one of its cities occupied by enemy forces.

I could swear my rules are saying that additionally to this, there also needs to be an enemy unit in the Mainland Area...

Regards
Jens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Vasta
United States
Woodstock
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FuttererJ wrote:
svasta wrote:
Conquered is a country that has collapsed and has at least one of its cities occupied by enemy forces.

I could swear my rules are saying that additionally to this, there also needs to be an enemy unit in the Mainland Area...

Regards
Jens

It's not additionally to. It's my fault; I should have written "at least one of its Mainland Area cities..."

Sal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Futterer
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
Kingdom Death: Monster
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, after rereading the rule I think I got it. A Mainland City can be of course under enemy control without an actual unit standing on its hex. I always had an unit standing on top of the city in my mind when reading this. Maybe it would helped me more if you would have worded it like "if at least one of its Mainland cities has an enemy control marker on it AND... "

Regards
Jens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.