Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone! Being a longtime, senior citizen gamer , I’ve played quite a few fantasy adventure games, both board and RPG. I told you that to say that I don’t feel like I’m overly dense, but this game’s rulebook is making me question that. shake I’ve watched a few solo session videos, but they’re of no help here.

Let’s say that we are setting up a 3 player cooperative game. Each player sets up their own saga, right? Each player also sets one Ancient by the board, right? So 3 players, 3 sagas, 3 Ancients...yes?

Assuming that’s right (!), each player must complete their individual saga before taking on an Ancient, yes? In order to form a team to take down an Ancient, only players who have completed their saga could participate, right? I’m thinking that the Ancients aren’t “assigned” to the player who drew them initially. If that’s wrong, please correct me.

Finally, in my example, all THREE Ancients must be defeated for a win. Is this correct?

Apologies if this is obvious stuff. It certainly isn’t to me. yuk It’s likely that my first forays into the game will be solo affairs, so those should be pretty forthright. It’s the multiplayer experience that’s confounding me.

If you know of videos or other useful things, feel free to pass them along. Thanks so much for your help. The game looks terrific! So it’s it’s doubly frustrating to feel like I can’t get out of the starting gate...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Hey, you're touching my face...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played solo, but I thought you only set up one ancient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was my assumption going in. Rulebook p. 5 says “In the cooperative game each hero draws 1 Ancient card and places it face-up beside the map.” And p. 10, “In the cooperative and solo games: the game is won if all Ancients are defeated before time runs out”

That really messed with my assumption getting started...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Gjerde
Norway
Trondheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
http://landnam.old.no
badge
http://old.no
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Hi, everyone! Being a longtime, senior citizen gamer , I’ve played quite a few fantasy adventure games, both board and RPG. I told you that to say that I don’t feel like I’m overly dense, but this game’s rulebook is making me question that. shake I’ve watched a few solo session videos, but they’re of no help here.

Let’s say that we are setting up a 3 player cooperative game. Each player sets up their own saga, right? Each player also sets one Ancient by the board, right? So 3 players, 3 sagas, 3 Ancients...yes?

Assuming that’s right (!), each player must complete their individual saga before taking on an Ancient, yes? In order to form a team to take down an Ancient, only players who have completed their saga could participate, right? I’m thinking that the Ancients aren’t “assigned” to the player who drew them initially. If that’s wrong, please correct me.

Finally, in my example, all THREE Ancients must be defeated for a win. Is this correct?

Apologies if this is obvious stuff. It certainly isn’t to me. yuk It’s likely that my first forays into the game will be solo affairs, so those should be pretty forthright. It’s the multiplayer experience that’s confounding me.

If you know of videos or other useful things, feel free to pass them along. Thanks so much for your help. The game looks terrific! So it’s it’s doubly frustrating to feel like I can’t get out of the starting gate..

It seems that you have everything down to a T. Many of us had to grapple a bit with the rules, because although they are complete, non-contradictory and fairly streamlined, the organisation of the rulebook leaves something to be desired. For that reason I wrote a two-page rules summary which works both as a learning aid and as a quick reference during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CycyX
France
Magny en Vexin
Val d'Oise
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right.

In competitive games, there is only one Ancient. In cooperative games, there is one Ancient per player. And yes, all of them must be defeated to win.

Re the teaming to defeat an Ancient, that's a good question and I do not have the answer to that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pearson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a quick note, pretty sure everyone has to have completed their saga before you can assault any ancients.

And yes you can team up against ancients. Like any other fight, the enemy will roll all its dice against each player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Dan, you have everything correct in your original post.
I'd reiterate what Chris said too, every hero must complete their Saga in the cooperative game before you can assault any Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much, everyone! Now to grapple with the rules beyond these issues. Will definitely check out the rules summary you posted, Tor.

And special thanks to Tristan for checking in. I love game designers who care enough to follow threads like these and stay involved. It’s so obvious that the game is a true labor of love and this is another example of that.

I so appreciate this game even though I’ve yet to actually play! I got in on the Kickstarter for all the new stuff to add to my game. Hope to have some plays under my belt before that stuff arrives...

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
Thanks so much, everyone! Now to grapple with the rules beyond these issues. Will definitely check out the rules summary you posted, Tor.

And special thanks to Tristan for checking in. I love game designers who care enough to follow threads like these and stay involved. It’s so obvious that the game is a true labor of love and this is another example of that.

I so appreciate this game even though I’ve yet to actually play! I got in on the Kickstarter for all the new stuff to add to my game. Hope to have some plays under my belt before that stuff arrives...

Thanks again!

Great stuff, thanks Dan - and let us know if you have any more rules questions. These guys are super quick to respond and our facebook group is a really great, responsive community too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tristan! It’s hard to top the BGG community, that’s for sure. I’m also in the Facebook group, so lots of folks have my back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.