Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler B
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Just succeeded at the first half of January, completing the recon mandatory objective after placing all 3 supply centers. The end of resolving the recon has the step to give the "Decontamination event" one time use card to a player. I couldn't figure out if there was any window at all to play that card before the game ends - it has a "play at any time" like the other events, but the rules talk about the game ending immediately when the conditions are met. Curious on opinions here - I'm thinking it's not playable but it would be unfortunate if the card went to waste entirely as I don't imagine it being worth using an event slot on later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hall
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might not need a spoiler, but about the card
It's an unrationed event, so doesn't actually count against the ration limit. Since you didn't use it, just keep shuffling it in until you do. As for timing, I'm not sure- I'd lean toward the game ending as soon as the condition is met, but I don't think it would do any real harm to trigger it just before ending the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Schultz
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
See Page 5 of rulebook

The component overview talks about the differences between rationed and unrationed events.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The general rule from Season 1 is that when a game-ending condition occurs, you apply any Legacy effects, but no further in-game effects, and definitely no more player actions (free or otherwise).

The Season 1 exception is that if you end the game by curing a disease, any cubes of that disease in the same city as the Medic get cleared, potentially eradicating that disease.

In the absence of an official ruling to the contrary, I'd say you don't have the opportunity to play events (rationed or otherwise) after triggering the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibraham
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
The instructions (can't cite page, it's not on me) say that when a game ends, it ends immediately. Doesn't matter if it's in the middle of a turn. And it says that you can't do any remaining actions, even if you want to.

Now I realize it's not an action, but general rule is that you have to finish resolving what you're doing before starting something else. The recon action resulted in the game ending condition. As that action is being completed, boom. Done. Since you can't play the card as an interrupt, I'd think that you couldn't play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all!

I remember reading the distinction between rationed and unrationed events, but I didn't actually realize it was something different as I was looking at the new card. Makes sense now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you complete the objectives in that order, that card can't be used that game. But it's possible to do them in the other order, so there's a reason the card is added to hand and not reserve. (In our game, we did the Recon after building our first supply center - we had gotten a massive number of that color card early on - so that card was available for us to use, though we chose not to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.