Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's been said that to get better deck building options, it's better to get 2 of the core sets. However, I don't know if this revelation was made before the first deluxe expansion. Without spoiling too much, do the deluxe expansions include many more cards for deck building options that wouldn't require me to still buy a second core box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All FFG LCG's are better with more core sets. The core sets are the only sets of cards that come in various(1,2, or 3) quantities. If you only have a copy of 1 really good card, then of course, 2 copies of it would be better.

Can you make a perfectly capable deck with only one core set? Of course.

Would having multiple core sets make making a good deck easier? Of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.
One core is doable, but two cores is definitely better, expsecially to spell users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It also depends on the number of players/investigators.

1-2 investigators works with 1 core.

More than 2 players, and 2 cores are a must, even if you get The Dunwich Legacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the deluxe Expansions and Mythos packs (but not the PODs) all contain Player cards that can be used right from the beginning (and do not spoil any story in any way, as long as you can separate them out from the Scenario cards without inadvertently peeking too much), so the more of them you have (or intend to get), the less utility is gained from buying a second Core. If you are trying to avoid Spoilers and are on the fence about how much you want to spend (and are willing to start by playing solo or with just one other person), getting a single Core Set by itself is a good introduction to the game and will give you a good feel for what (if anything) you might want to buy next, depending on your experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely start with just 1 Core. Play the game through the campaign once, and then you can see what you have access to and assess whether having more copies of the individual cards is something you want.

I bought a second Core purely for the additional player card duplicates (as we don't play with 3+ so the extra counters are not needed and I do not pre-build encounter decks, so having 2 copies of those is not useful to me) and I don't regret it in the least. There are several cards in the Core set that you only get 1 copy of initially that are still what I consider key cards for their class. You can probably get by easier than you used to, especially if you buy entire Deluxe cycles (i.e.: the big box plus the 6 packs that go with it) but to me having duplicates of everything except the Core set cards would be odd and I still get plenty of use out of those extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, here's the thing:
It CAN work without a second base game and a few extra packs (not only the deluxe expansions), but you might think about if you really want that.

See, the base game provides you with enough cards to build a character (several, in fact, if taken by themselves). However, you will only have each card once in the deck. This seriously limits planning and tactical play, but some players choose to play this way, because they feel it is more thematic. Tastes vary.

If you WANT to put a card from the base game in twice, you have two options: either proxy it, or purchase a second base game. And there are some cards in the base game that are still very, very good for their respective decks, if not THE best...

However, I think there is an idea going around about what deluxe packs are, and it is probably best to put this to rest, once and for all. Deluxe packs provide cards for different decks, yes, but they are not simply deck boosting packs. They are nothing like deluxe expansions in most other deckbuilding games by FFG, simply because these other games do not have the story chapter approach that AHLCG or LotRLCG have.

In numbers, this means:
- Any Deluxe Pack will have 4 new cards per investigator type (2 each), maybe 1 extra neutral card, and 3 or so new Basic Weaknesses
- Of these new cards per type, half of them will be cards without experience cost, and half will be cards WITH experience cost

Compare this with Chapter Packs:
- Any Chapter Pack will have 2 new cards per investigator type (2 each), and maybe 1 extra neutral card
- Of these new cards per type, 1 will be a card without experience cost, and 1 will be a card WITH experience cost

...numbers can vary slightly, of course...

Oh, and Deluxe Packs provide new characters - one of each type ( the last one also provided an additional neutral character), and each with their character specific cards, of course.

So no, these packs do not boost card pools with tons of new options. True, they provide additional choices, in adding a few new cards for each possible character type. This is because Deluxe Packs serve another function, aswell - they basically set the scene for the following Chapter Packs in the Story Cycle - they provide the first chapters of the story, as well as provide most of the generic Encounter cards. And that takes the bigger part of the cards in the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cennamo
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of the way some people have explained the second core in other threads... like "sure, you COULD play with one....but you suck if you do"
I bit on a second core for LOTR LCG and honestly....wish I hadn't... it was such a waste.

Personally, I've never felt the need or want to buy a second core set for Arkham... Now, I certainly investigated the idea of it (see what i did there?) especially since everyone seems to say you should get one, but honestly, It's totally unnecessary... sure if you're trying to min/max your way to a perfect deck that's fine...but it's a luxury.

I ran the entire core, all of dunwich, and the 2 retail available side quests (carnival and the wolf one) successfully and I loved every minute of them...without a second core.

My choices for leveling up cards seemed just fine to me and with all the Dunwich stuff it felt like more than enough good options.

Play the game a little, struggle with it (it is Arkham anyway...it should be troublesome), get through some of the missions and then if you just HAVE to have extra copies of certain cards then go for it... but seriously...it's the LAST thing you should buy.

Buy more adventures, buy more campaigns, buy more games....then buy your second copy....if you really feel you NEED it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
PooEater wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the way some people have explained the second core in other threads... like "sure, you COULD play with one....but you suck if you do"
I bit on a second core for LOTR LCG and honestly....wish I hadn't... it was such a waste.

Personally, I've never felt the need or want to buy a second core set for Arkham... Now, I certainly investigated the idea of it (see what i did there?) especially since everyone seems to say you should get one, but honestly, It's totally unnecessary... sure if you're trying to min/max your way to a perfect deck that's fine...but it's a luxury.

I ran the entire core, all of dunwich, and the 2 retail available side quests (carnival and the wolf one) successfully and I loved every minute of them...without a second core.

My choices for leveling up cards seemed just fine to me and with all the Dunwich stuff it felt like more than enough good options.

Play the game a little, struggle with it (it is Arkham anyway...it should be troublesome), get through some of the missions and then if you just HAVE to have extra copies of certain cards then go for it... but seriously...it's the LAST thing you should buy.

Buy more adventures, buy more campaigns, buy more games....then buy your second copy....if you really feel you NEED it.

Agree entirely with this. Did exactly the same thing,I play solo and/or with another investigator. One core, both Deluxe expansions, plus the six TDL mini's and the first TPTC give ample choice, and there's five more to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Jensen
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bern1106 wrote:
PooEater wrote:

Agree entirely with this. Did exactly the same thing,I play solo and/or with another investigator. One core, both Deluxe expansions, plus the six TDL mini's and the first TPTC give ample choice, and there's five more to come.

I just want to say that I’m the opposite. I have LotR and I have 2 core sets. I plan on buying a third. I hate being limited in my deck choices and that makes it worth it. Plus I’m buying everything anyway, so I’m not sacrificing any expansions.

Both ways are fine and I’d guess that the community is pretty close to 50/50 on whether buying multiple is “worth it.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend buying a second core. For me, it feels wrong to have 2 copies of each card from the expansions, but only 1 copy of each card from the core. I want full deck building options.

That said, don't buy 2 cores immediately. Buy 1 core and play that campaign first. If you decide to go all-in, then buy a second core and deluxe boxes. The one time cost of a second core will be small compared to the continuing cost of an LCG so it seems well worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are fine with one core and all the expansions, however, we did recently tried to build new decks for The Dunwich Legacy for Zoey and Jim and we couldn't use the suggested start up decklists, so we substituted cards. No one says you have to play the start up decklists exactly. I just can't bring myself to buy another core game when half the game is not usable for me. I wish FFG would release a core pack of cards of assets, skills, and items. I would buy the pack for 10 to 15 bucks.

Heck, I would be okay if they slowly released duplicate cards from the core set into their expansions and packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I am buying a second core, went to build a deck and realised I wanted two of certain cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Knecht
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
My take is that it isn’t needed. If you plan on playing with just one investigator, there aren’t that many cards that are 1 offs, and you will have plenty of other options so you shouldn’t feel that affected. If you’re playing with 2, that is where things get a little trickier. With only 1 core set, you’re going to have very few deck building options, but the prebuilt decks work well enough to get a sense if you like the game.

I currently have 2 deluxe expansions and 6 mythos packs. With that, even without a second core set I feel like I have more than enough options to deck build even without a second core set.

One thing to note; a lot of the newer cards are upgrade cards that can’t be used at the beginning of a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Velox
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JackhammerJohn wrote:
We are fine with one core and all the expansions, however, we did recently tried to build new decks for The Dunwich Legacy for Zoey and Jim and we couldn't use the suggested start up decklists, so we substituted cards. No one says you have to play the start up decklists exactly. I just can't bring myself to buy another core game when half the game is not usable for me. I wish FFG would release a core pack of cards of assets, skills, and items. I would buy the pack for 10 to 15 bucks.

Heck, I would be okay if they slowly released duplicate cards from the core set into their expansions and packs.

So the Dunwich Legacy suggested deck lists are made based around the assumption that the player(s) has two core sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, but with one core set you can not make the starter decks for Zoey and Jim at the same time.

This is what the deck list says at the start of the dunwich section:

Quote:
The following starter decks are for the five investigators included in The Dunwich Legacy deluxe expansion. Using the contents of a single copy of the core set and a single copy of The Dunwich Legacy expansion, up to two of these starter decks may be built at the same time, in the following combinations: Zoey and Rex, Zoey and Pete, Rex and Jim, Jenny and Jim, or Jenny and Pete. With a second copy of the core set, any four of these starter decks may be built simultaneously.

Since Zoey uses Guardian+Neutral cards and Jim uses Mystic + neutral cards and they both can use up to 5 cards from any class,
I'm quite certain that playable decks could be build from one core + Dunwich, just not the decks in the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Godfrey
France
Lissac
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear, Doc Savage is here!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The starter decks are really there to get you up and running asap, there's no rule excluding tweaking the starter decks as long as they stay within the constraints on the investigator card. Again, I do only play with two investigators maximum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it also depends on who you plan on running, and what expansions you have.

Any combination consisting of either Base Characters and/or Carcosa investigators will probably want to have either two copies of the base, or both Carcosa and Dunwich to have enough flexibility for deckbuilding.

For any combination involving a Dunwich investigator, the base plus Dunwich should be enough as the Dunwich investigators can have up to only five class specific cards that aren't of their own class.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.