Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
How I desire the touch of Nothingness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my game on Friday and went through and checked out the components.

Anyone else get two extra Highlands Monster cards? Seems to be an extra copy of Ogre Moron and Ogre Thug. Intended or just a packing error?

Also, I saw in a photo on Instagram that someone had a big sheet marked "read this first!" near their game which i didn't get. Was this only included with certain add-ons?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine today but haven't checked all the cards. I just pulled out and checked the Highland Monster cards. I do not have 2 copies of Ogre Moron or Ogre Thug. I have 30 total cards in each of the 4 monster decks. And every monster is unique. So looks like you are either missing 2 cards or you have 2 spare cards if you have 32.

I did not get a "Read this first!" sheet. Maybe it was from a different game.

The only problem I had was the game stinks real bad but airing it out in the garage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
the game stinks real bad but airing it out in the garage.
These add-ons, while appropriate for the theme, are geting ridiculous.

What's it smell like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We realized we should put a "Read This First" sheet in after the first round of games went out - I'll post a picture of it for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean Aaberg wrote:
We realized we should put a "Read This First" sheet in after the first round of games went out - I'll post a picture of it for you.

Awesome, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I have 30 total cards in each of the 4 monster decks. And every monster is unique. So looks like you are either missing 2 cards or you have 2 spare cards if you have 32.

yeah, i have 32 in that deck, so just extras that slipped in, i guess!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
ScottE wrote:
the game stinks real bad but airing it out in the garage.
These add-ons, while appropriate for the theme, are geting ridiculous.

What's it smell like?

It's a strong ink smell. I'm guessing the printer didn't do a full drying (acclimatize) step before packing. So it is probably prudent to leave all the components out for a few days before putting in ziplock bags just to be sure all the moisture has evaporated. Otherwise you can get mold. I usually do this with all games anyway as a precaution.

WestMatt wrote:
ScottE wrote:
I have 30 total cards in each of the 4 monster decks. And every monster is unique. So looks like you are either missing 2 cards or you have 2 spare cards if you have 32.

yeah, i have 32 in that deck, so just extras that slipped in, i guess!

Glad to hear you aren't missing any cards. I'm amazed that every card has unique art. That's a massive amount of work. The artist must be really fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Interesting - looks like you got some extra ogres. I'd recommend not including them when you play unless you want to make the Highlands a little more treacherous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Scott - apologies if the Badlands Encounters are rough to read.. in the future I will keep in mind that not everyone has perfect eyesight. TBH I can't imagine what this game looks like to someone with color blindness! That being said the jarring color combinations are obviously intentionally discomforting. It's all part of the experience...

Now you've given me the idea to design an investigation game that comes with a magnifying glass where finding tiny clues on cards is part of the game! or has that been done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JL San Miguel
Spain
Cantabria
flag msg tools
badge
Simplify, prioritize,... enjoy! :-D
mbmbmbmbmb

cultofmars wrote:
Now you've given me the idea to design an investigation game that comes with a magnifying glass where finding tiny clues on cards is part of the game! or has that been done?

Not in the way I think you imply but The 7th Continent has some cards with tiny clues on them as part of the game. It also comes with a plastic "magnifying glass" card to help look for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cultofmars wrote:
Scott - apologies if the Badlands Encounters are rough to read.. in the future I will keep in mind that not everyone has perfect eyesight. TBH I can't imagine what this game looks like to someone with color blindness! That being said the jarring color combinations are obviously intentionally discomforting. It's all part of the experience...

No worries, I understand its the purposely specific colors the game uses and there's only so many color combos. Maybe if the text was white on the red areas it would help, but a bit late now.

I was also going to say 7th Continent but JL beat me to the punch. I bought a pack of those magnifiers at Amazon so I can throw them in game boxes when I need them.

Interesting question on color blindness issues. Generally it's more an issue with luminosity differences that help the most. So the black and red could be even more of an issue for some color blind players. When I did the graphic design on our last game I was super careful with making dark text on very light backgrounds or flipped on our banner panels. I tend to overcompensate for this stuff since I hate using my reading glasses when I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott - regarding the smell - we had Dungeon Degenerates made with special mind-altering inks to replicate the brain damage we got while working for Chaosium shrink-wrapping Call of Cthulhu books. Enjoy! Just a perk of backing the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean Aaberg wrote:
Scott - regarding the smell - we had Dungeon Degenerates made with special mind-altering inks to replicate the brain damage we got while working for Chaosium shrink-wrapping Call of Cthulhu books. Enjoy! Just a perk of backing the game!

It's all good. Left it in the garage for 24 hours and just brought it in and I haven't passed out yet!

Anyway, got it all punched and reading through the rules right now. Surprisingly heavy game, this should be fun. Certainly a lot of work went into this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Received my copy and yeah, there's a plastic ink smell. Not strong, but it's definitely evident. It reminds me of the play-dough and my copies of DC Comics Archives with the glossy pages. I think I'm having a mild reaction (skin and eyes) to the ink as well.
Regardless, beautiful-looking game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Received my copy and yeah, there's a plastic ink smell. Not strong, but it's definitely evident. It reminds me of the play-dough and my copies of DC Comics Archives with the glossy pages. I think I'm having a mild reaction (skin and eyes) to the ink as well.
Regardless, beautiful-looking game!

It actually might be the plastic insert. I tossed mine since it wasn't going to hold all the extra stuff (barely fits without it). And noted the insert was really foul smelling. So airing out is a good idea (as with any game), but chucking the insert might also help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not to make light of the situation, but like Jonan Jello, I find this news of the game having a rancid odor too deliciously ironic not to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzitzimime wrote:
Not to make light of the situation, but like Jonan Jello, I find this news of the game having a rancid odor too deliciously ironic not to enjoy.

And also wanted to point out that, although, the smell was bad in initial opening, once aired out and tossing the insert, its basically scent free now. Don't want anyone to think this is an ongoing problem.

I'm really thinking it was the insert. I bought some DVD cases a few years ago that smelled very similar. Probably a cheap plastic but they are basically disposable since you probably won't use them after you punch out everything. Plano or ziplock bags are much more efficient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grendel's Mother
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for the update. Plastic or ink is usually the culprit, and it usually goes away with time. This is good news for most. As for the reprehensible others, the moral of the story is, get to huffing while the huffing is still good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt West
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has turned into one about smells for some reason. I didn't notice the game smelling any better or worse than any other board game. Smell was not on my radar at all when i was opening it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:

I'm really thinking it was the insert. I bought some DVD cases a few years ago that smelled very similar. Probably a cheap plastic but they are basically disposable since you probably won't use them after you punch out everything. Plano or ziplock bags are much more efficient.

You're correct. It's that insert! Dumped and I ziplocked everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.