Subject: Inexpensive Bigger Board Solution rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Irving

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While we're all waiting for the big play mat, I wanted to make a home brew solution that wouldn't cost much. I simply scanned each of the four board sections into a pdf file and then printed each one out in two sections at 150% scale onto photo paper. I can post more details later, but here's a few pics of the finished product compared to the original game board. Since it's printed at 150%, the final board is 2.25 times larger in area than the original board. And as a bonus, it fits perfectly into the box in the board section. I used Kirkland (Costco) photo paper which is 14 cents a sheet and 10.4 mils thick, so it lies pretty flat on the table and is playable without further mounting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen 3h
Netherlands
Zwolle
flag msg tools
mb
Looks great! The board size isn't a problem for me but I can see this working for a lot of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C C
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How did you do the scanning? Are the scan PDFs something you could post in the files section?

Thanx for the idea whether you post the scans or not!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irving

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sleeper00 wrote:
How did you do the scanning? Are the scan PDFs something you could post in the files section?

Thanx for the idea whether you post the scans or not!

I just scanned each individual map section on my scanner and printed it as noted above. I scanned it at high resolution so the files are huge, I don't know if I can post them or not. I will take a look after the New Year, and see what I can post. Thanks for the kind words!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irving

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of people have asked, so here are jpegs of the eight map sections. Remember to print them all out at exactly the same size; fit them to paper size for the long dimension, you will need to trim the width. Remember to download the original image for the best resolution. I printed off a pdf file which I wasn't able to upload; these should work as well, but if anyone has problems let me know. I would do a test print at draft quality on plain paper to make sure your printer settings are right before doing the higher quality photo print. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane W

Utah
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great! Do you have any problems with the different pieces sliding around during play? Thanks for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Irving

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the surface isn’t really that slick, it seems like a regular board when you’re playing, just more roomy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.