Hide
13 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Faced our first King's Man... Not looking forward to that again rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Glassner
msg tools
So my group avoided spoilers on this one and just went in blind. We thought we'd be pretty good- had a couple of our more experienced survivors and our two saviors all decently armed. Plus we previously whooped on the Level 1 Butcher and beat a few Level 2 Lions (the first one we were pretty lucky to defeat though- a desperation crit followed by a lantern 10 auto-kill), so how bad could this really be?

Answer: Hilariously bad. We got absolutely demolished. Almost a flawless King's Man TPK. A brief recap:

Turn 2: Our tank Royal Steps. He royally steps in it with a low roll. Okay okay, well, not good but just don't roll a 1. *rolls 1* RIP tank.

Turn 3: Annnnnnd Trap

Turn 4: Our damage dealer royal steps. Yeaaaaaahhhh that's another low roll. Ok, ok, our luck can't be this bad can it? I mean there's no way... *rolls 1* RIP damage dealer

Turn 5: Annnnnnd Trap. Annnnnd severe injury. And COME ON ALREADY *rolls 1* Bye luck based damage dealer. Well, we still have our support bowman with the backup sword.

Turn 6: Severe injury: Broken Leg

Turn 7: Severe injury: Broken Arm, Severe injury Broken Leg

Turn 8: Thank you for putting us out of our misery.

Overall, we managed a grand total of 1 wound. So by my metrics, including the people he killed when he visited our settlement, the final score is King's Man 9 (kills): Settlement 1 (wound). Oof.

Welcome to Kingdom Death, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
This can happen in all luck-based games. Guess that's the biggest flaw of KDM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you have multiple saviors? I’m pretty sure the Intimacy table says “if you have innovated Hovel and do not already have a savior”.

Edit: it does

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faced King's Man last night for the first time also. The campaign had been pretty smooth up to this point so I was feeling pretty cocky going into the fight, but boy was it a big wake up call.

Having to place the King Step cards on top of HL deck at the start of the monsters turn is so annoying. Also Having 12 Toughness and his brutal basic action made the fight feel like a big step up in difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Can you have multiple saviors? I’m pretty sure the Intimacy table says “if you have innovated Hovel and do not already have a savior”.

This is a 1.5 change. No indication that OP is playing one version or the other. That being said, I'd bet that you assumed correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Glassner
msg tools
navaccaro wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:

This is a 1.5 change. No indication that OP is playing one version or the other. That being said, I'd bet that you assumed correctly.

Oh, I had no idea this changes in 1.5. I currently am using a cast off 1.0 from someone who upgraded to 1.5. That will make things more difficult in the future- It did seem a bit odd you could have multiple saviors, but I figured that was probably a game mechanic one needed to use to have any chance at higher levels. I'll be sure to institute this from now on- just didn't know this was a rules change. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Glassner
msg tools
SuperAbobo wrote:
Faced King's Man last night for the first time also. The campaign had been pretty smooth up to this point so I was feeling pretty cocky going into the fight, but boy was it a big wake up call.

Having to place the King Step cards on top of HL deck at the start of the monsters turn is so annoying. Also Having 12 Toughness and his brutal basic action made the fight feel like a big step up in difficulty.

For sure. Honestly I really enjoyed seeing the entirely entirely different mechanics in this fight and personally I'm glad I went in blind, because this fight was a real eye-opener. It was almost like we were the actual survivors pretty confident in our abilities suddenly seeing some almost god-like figure come in with this weird fighting style we've never seen before and absolutely devastate us while barely taking a scratch. But now that we've seen the style, we'll be better prepared next campaign. Speaking of, we've had terrible luck getting hide this entire campaign and so I knew our armor was much lower than it should be at that point and was reasonably sure that would certainly come back to haunt us, and this fight that almost can be called a war of attrition as you learn his movements was certainly that moment. The one where you look back at your choices that got you to that point and realize you screwed up by not yet having leather and KDM was simply silently laughing at you the whole time knowing this was coming.

Really fun experience to be honest, because sometimes you have to learn the hard way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Glassner
msg tools
Goldron wrote:
This can happen in all luck-based games. Guess that's the biggest flaw of KDM.

I'm ok with this aspect to be honest, especially considering the theme. In this game it does seem fitting since you're going after these strong monsters that one day another your luck will run dry. We lost and we lost badly due to some terrible luck, but truth is, even had we rolled average, we would have had major trouble beating this guy. I'm not a big fan of games predicated on randomness with little to no strategy, but in strategy games I'm okay with randomness and dice fests, and KDM certainly fits the bill. Plus, the King's Man certainly won't be taking us by surprise next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kinda how the Butcher went for us. We did win against King's man, if you can call 3/4 dead with the 4th (katar user) having a destroyed back a win

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wilson
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Faced him blind last night. His trap nailed 3 of us for 6 damage.
Killed two and the tank rolled lucky. Got the killing blow card to finish him but he is well beyond anything else we have faced.
So glad we didn't resist him before.
SADLY...
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Tank landed killing blow, our tank who is sitting at beyond crazy stats.
Is the king's curse helmet the only one we actually got a representation of? Other than the screaming set having that helmet and the lantern halberd, I couldn't find anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Fawcett
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mb
I faced him blind for the first time yesterday as well! Hung with him for quite some time, which only served to lull me into a false sense of security. Next thing I knew, I was down to two survivors. Then both remaining survivors rolled the hamstring severe injury, losing the ability to use Fighting Arts. And then I started drinking...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole Bonbon
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I also faced him blind this weekend. On the second turn, he knocked down one of my survivors with his basic attack then drew Coup de Grace for the kill. Since all survivors are Doomed, is there anything I could have done to prevent her death? (besides rolling 10 on the severe injury table) That's a whopper of a Basic AI card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
anatolehp wrote:
I also faced him blind this weekend. On the second turn, he knocked down one of my survivors with his basic attack then drew Coup de Grace for the kill. Since all survivors are Doomed, is there anything I could have done to prevent her death? (besides rolling 10 on the severe injury table) That's a whopper of a Basic AI card.

There is a few things... Below is probably the most common.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You should have a support character whose main role is to use the rawhide headband and/or cat eye circlet. Get that survivor to act last (after your other 3, or surge to do it if they need to do something else)
and use the headband to check the next two AI cards. Put the weakest one on top, then if the second one is really bad make sure you wound it away.

I remember first time I fought the Kingsman, his first turn he marched straight up to a survivor and decapitated them. It did not go well! Fun times.

Oh and if you think the level 1 Kingsman is tough, wait until level 2. Silent Hymn will give you nightmares. I only fought him once ever by choice, now in 1.5 he will come up again...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.