Subject: Clarification needed for Toll Station and Blocking Signal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Cox
United Kingdom
Horsham
W.Sussex
flag msg tools
The text for Blocking Signal reads 'No player may go to any stop where you have a train'.
'Go to' rather than 'end its movement on'? Am I correct in thinking that this means that a player using a whistle cannot skip a stop occupied by a train of a player who owns the Blocking Signal?
The text for Toll Station reads 'Another player must pay you (one block) to leave a stop where you have a train'. I really don't know what to make of this. If I am using a whistle to 'skip' a stop and 'pass' other trains (rules terminology), am I entering then immediately leaving those stops, in which case I would expect to have to pay the toll?

My feeling is that, if whistles can be used to avoid blocking signals and tolls, this will detract from the fun of the end game, in which players who are poised for a large scoring turn will often want to prevent someone else from getting their last train 'home' and thereby ending the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Cox wrote:
The text for Blocking Signal reads 'No player may go to any stop where you have a train'.
'Go to' rather than 'end its movement on'? Am I correct in thinking that this means that a player using a whistle cannot skip a stop occupied by a train of a player who owns the Blocking Signal?
The text for Toll Station reads 'Another player must pay you (one block) to leave a stop where you have a train'. I really don't know what to make of this. If I am using a whistle to 'skip' a stop and 'pass' other trains (rules terminology), am I entering then immediately leaving those stops, in which case I would expect to have to pay the toll?

My feeling is that, if whistles can be used to avoid blocking signals and tolls, this will detract from the fun of the end game, in which players who are poised for a large scoring turn will often want to prevent someone else from getting their last train 'home' and thereby ending the game.

The official rules are that a player can use a whistle to skip over a location being guarded by a Toll Station or Blocking Signal, but your idea sounds like a good house rule / variant to try. Sorry if the language was not precise enough. Happy playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cox
United Kingdom
Horsham
W.Sussex
flag msg tools
Thanks for the ruling.
As you might have guessed, I was the player poised for a large score...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.