Brett Moon
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't have medium cellar but I played 'Zymologist' card which lets me make 2 wines of 4 or greater even without a medium cellar building.

So now I have 2 wines in the medium cellar.

Q: Do these wines still mature as per usual at the end of year even though I don't have a medium cellar? The rule book on 'maturing' states that you can't mature wines past 3 unless you have a medium cellar. But this is only referring to maturing from 3 to 4 (jumping from no cellar to medium cellar) right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tinney
Australia
BROKEN HILL
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no. Let me explain why.

1) Zymologist refers only to making and storing the wine and does not mention aging. This leads me to believe the normal rules for aging apply. No alternative is offered.

2) The wording for maturing without a medium cellar does not mean “you can’t age from 3 to 4” it means “you cannot age or craft any wines beyond 3”.

Therefore: nope, the wine stays where it is until you build a better cellar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ben's logic, and I could see that being the case, but I decided to go a different way and say that since the token managed to get into the medium cellar, it acts as if it's in the medium cellar. There is a specific example explaining this under "Zymologist" on page 11 of the Viticulture Essential rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Moon
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for the replies. I can certainly see Ben's logic. But I can not argue with the actual game designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Sixmoons wrote:
Thank you both for the replies. I can certainly see Ben's logic. But I can not argue with the actual game designer

Well you could, but you probably have better uses of your time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Paskud
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
I like Ben's logic, and I could see that being the case, but I decided to go a different way and say that since the token managed to get into the medium cellar, it acts as if it's in the medium cellar. There is a specific example explaining this under "Zymologist" on page 11 of the Viticulture Essential rulebook.
And what happens when that wine is on "6" and next aging occurs? Does it go to Large Cellar then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It stays on 6. It won't age until you build a large cellar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Micevski
Australia
flag msg tools
Sorry to intrude but I am trying to understand this card properly.

Does this card recreate the make up two wine token action on the winter actions side of the board?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leigh: All visitor cards do things that resemble other actions on the board, but they're not directly related to them. But yes, in terms of the rules, the rules for making wine via visitor cards are the same as the rules for making wine using the "make up to 2 wine tokens" action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Micevski
Australia
flag msg tools
Thank you for replying

And just for further clarification. If I made a 7 and 8 wine using this card I would still need to the right amount of grapes to add up to that yes?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hylbak
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I also had a question about this card. It states make 2 wines of 4 or greater without the medium cellar. Do you need to have grapes ready to make those wines or are the wines just generated into the cellar spot?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
tke229 wrote:
I also had a question about this card. It states make 2 wines of 4 or greater without the medium cellar. Do you need to have grapes ready to make those wines or are the wines just generated into the cellar spot?

Yes, you still need the grapes available to make the wines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.