Popular Tags: [View All]
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
I have had this a while and am begining to grasp the system.
I am having a lot of trouble though with the spawning.
I am setting up rescue my daughter and following the setup as described.
But when I start playing in short order I have burned through all the figures in the starter set and am not even close to rescuing the girl.
The critters just block the bridge and 5 turn cycles barely gets me to the lair.
Any help would be great or advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kelly
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am visualising you are using the 12x12 tile with the river and bridge that is used in one of the videos for this quest by MCG.
That makes it difficult but not impossible.

Options
1. You could use a smaller tile
2. Place a smaller initial hunting party, only has to be 3+
3. Prioritise the Lair
4. Use a minimum of AP each turn (so one if possible only to avoid loitering penalties) to avoid activating the Darkness and hence monsters that then move and block you
5. Have one hero that would have threat draw the monsters to one side?

All of the above is very circumstantial depending on how many and which heroes you are using.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes spot on I did follow their tutorial and that's the setup I'm using lol.
They do comment on the fact they are making it hard for themselves on the setup so that should have been my first clue I guess.

I'm trying to keep brigand in the shadows as much as possible and use acolyte to keep him buffed and protected while he try's to take out the nest.
I'm still trying to grasp the combos for brigand and I still hazy on what cards can be used When?.
The rules say you can have one action card and as many reaction cards as you like in each cycle is that right?.
Also I think the wording "reaction" confuses me what is the relevence of that wording? As reaction would imply it can only be used as a reaction to an enemy attack but those are the interrupt cards I believe.
Any help would be great.

So if you leave an ongoing action card on for the next cycle doe that count as your 1 action card for the following cycle also?.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
AP cost and action / reaction of hero cards with the "ongoing" keyword are only taken into account in the hero cycle they are played (just like any other hero card).
Another important thing to note about "ongoing" hero cards: You can clear them at any time during a hero cycle. When an "ongoing" hero card is cleared, it is turned face down and removed from the action slot it occupies during the next deck phase - not right away!

The wording of "Action / Reaction" is indeed unfortunate. It helps to think of actions as "Major Action" and reaction as "Minor Action".

As for your problem with the quest:

The Brigand is one of the more difficult base game heroes to play - together with the Archer.
If you want to do a 2 hero learning game, I'd recommend Soldier + Acolyte.

Having the Brigand in shadows all the time may also be a bad tactical move, especially on a 12x12, as he can only move 1 square while in shadows.
Your priority should be to reach and destroy the lair asap. The Brigand is infact very good at one-shotting lairs with his "Shadow's Reach" + "Shadow's Touch" combo, but you have to bring him within 3 squares of the lair first.
So if you want to keep the Brigand in your party, try NOT putting him into Shadows, but instead use all your Hustles / Sprint cards to get as close to the lair as possible, before the first darkness cycle.
Don't attack enemies on the way until you can do it for 0 AP!
Try to keep-up with the Acolyte to provide healing in case you can't take out the lair before the first Darkness cycle.
If you can't take out the lair, try to get to a square that is directly adjacent to it, so you can attack it right away after the first darkness cycle, without having to fight through minons first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
From memory, I allowed the monsters to activate and start moving towards my party, then I went around the lake with them chasing behind. I got to the lair, and ignoring the monsters, started destroying the lair.

I could be wrong about that. It's been a long time. Either way, though, the lair should almost always be the priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary rembo
United Kingdom
brighton
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.
Sounds like good advice I will try that.
The soldier does indeed look good for killing things.
Ands the shadows suggestion goes against all my instinct especially when the critters start massing but it sound like it makes good sense.
I guess he who hesitates is Lost lol.
Sorry I goofed also it was the apprentice I used not acolyte.
I noted also in the re written rules that if you run out of critters you don't place them but move the ap track up one so that solves that.
I have it down 90% now and amd,im begining to enjoy it quite a lot.
I have played d&d board game,descent (first edition etc). And this is so different I think I had to clear my head a bit to absorb the rules.
I have emergence event also which I really enjoy by them.
THX for you help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.