Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lemon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are really not understanding the setup rules for the World War scenario. It says to draw three continents and then add the tokens to the junction between the problem continent and it. But what if the cards are across the world from each other? We wound up with one token actually adjacent to the problem continent, which was easily removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Woll
United States
Warsaw
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 3 tokens and couldn't remove any. We lost just by setting up the game. Not sure we'll play again. The the tokens were between asia/Europe, asia/Africa and Asia/Australia and the two players were in North America and South America. You can't move and you can't remove tokens unless you are in the continent.
Kind of bad design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I would suggest house ruling the World War card to read as follows:

To remove a War Token, any player must enact a valid plan of its Political Influence value.

That is what my last version had. During development AEG may have had a reason to change it (and it may have just been to try to clearly define it or make it more difficult), but you are correct that with a low player count it can be impossible.

Here’s the original:

Edit: Typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I just noticed this was the one thread here that I wasn't subscribed to, so I originally missed it in my notifications. Feel free to message me with any questions, anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tagmire
United States
Westmont
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
clemon79 wrote:
We are really not understanding the setup rules for the World War scenario. It says to draw three continents and then add the tokens to the junction between the problem continent and it. But what if the cards are across the world from each other? We wound up with one token actually adjacent to the problem continent, which was easily removed.

Hi Chris,
The way that it is written on the card is a little different than my original intention. I went through my emails (we're going back to 2015), and I had an email with the graphic designer discussing a fix but the fix never ended up on the card. The card was revised after I requested a fix, but it didn't end up achieving the initial goal. This was a very late stage request on my end, so I'm not sure if I was wrapped up in the hustle of getting it finished, modified to save space on the card (this is a tough one to describe even with the images), or if it was just overlooked by me in my final proofs. We had a lot of phone calls at that point too, so we may have discussed a change over the phone. Anyway, here's some insight to what it was originally intended to do (which solves your issue of making it more impactful).

Quote:
I think we need to rework the World War. It's intended to block three routes, but not necessarily three on the problem continent. The way it is now, if it's anything but Africa, you can go around the continent at the same cost of going through the continent. With all three blocking that one location, it's not too much of a detriment.

Here's the description reworded, with an image to show it.

World War:
After drawing the problem continent, place the 3 War Tokens on the first 3 connections that are formed. Starting with the token #3 and going down to token #1. If multiple connections are formed at the same time, start placing connections at the top left of the newly placed card and go clockwise.

NOTE: All War Tokens touching the problem continent must be removed before the Problem can be solved.

Here's the example: The numbers on the continents are the order they came out, and so are the numbers on the tokens.

Say Antartica was picked first, then Africa, so the route from Ant - to Africa receives the first token. Then North America is picked, so Africa to North America gets the second. And finally Europe was picked, so North America to Europe gets the third.

This messes with two continents, North America and Antartica.

And then here it is when things don't go as smoothly with the initial card draw and the connections matching up.

This is how I've always played World War (and will continue to play it), but I haven't played it on a physical production copy of the game yet. When I teach the game I start off easy and familiar with Zombies, and I've only played with new players since I got my copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katrina
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We extrapolated from other rules that it takes 1 extra for each continent away you are.

The most confusing part of the setup for me was that it reads like you're only supposed to draw 3 other continents after the problem one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.