Subject: 2017 gw edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Aguis
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Does anybody know if the new edition can be used with the ffg expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
Chucky wrote:
Does anybody know if the new edition can be used with the ffg expansions?

Coiledspring's FB post from 4th November says:

"Talisman fans, the wait for the reprinted revised 4th edition is over and tomorrow you will be able to get your hands on copies of the Games Workshop edition of the classic game (Fully compatible with all previous versions) from many of our retailers who have been receiving their pre-orders this week.
Stock will be available in many of our partnering stockists like Travelling Man A1 Toys Forbidden Planet International stores from next week and Chaos Cards - Online sales also from Games Quest
We will be adding more stockists next week as well as sending out more competition & review copies to partners so stay tuned for more details."

So compatible, if they're not lying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Aguis
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Thanks for posting this. I'm sure nothing is changed in the rules, but I'm concerned that the card backs won't be the same color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fell
United States
East Patchogue
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess we will just have to wait until someone has it in their hands and post a review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben B
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the new Games Workshop version. It is still 'revised 4th edition'. I don't own the Fantasy Flight one, so I am not sure if the card backs are different. Happy to take some pictures if that will help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
Brutal47 wrote:
I have the new Games Workshop version. It is still 'revised 4th edition'. I don't own the Fantasy Flight one, so I am not sure if the card backs are different. Happy to take some pictures if that will help.

If it's still "revised 4th", then it has to be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Elder
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
isearch wrote:
I guess we will just have to wait until someone has it in their hands and post a review.

everything is the same, and lines up with FFG's base revised 4th. my group bought expansions and the card backs do not differ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boxesofcats wrote:
isearch wrote:

everything is the same, and lines up with FFG's base revised 4th. my group bought expansions and the card backs do not differ.

Have you noticed any errata-type wording differences (probably quickest to check the wordier character cards)?
Or is literally the only change they filed the serial numbers off swapped manufacturer logos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Elder
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
grarrrg wrote:
boxesofcats wrote:
isearch wrote:

Have you noticed any errata-type wording differences (probably quickest to check the wordier character cards)?
Or is literally the only change they filed the serial numbers off swapped manufacturer logos?

pretty sure it's exactly the same, there was one adventure card when we played (i think from the city or woodland expansion) that had a grammatical error, but that was it. everything looked pretty standard to me.

that being said, i didn't get a chance to see the FFG versions of city and woodland, but we were playing on FFG base board with frostmarch, and sacred pool. in addition to the GW city, woodland, reaper, and blood moon.

it made for a looooooong first play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
boxesofcats wrote:
grarrrg wrote:
boxesofcats wrote:
isearch wrote:

pretty sure it's exactly the same, there was one adventure card when we played (i think from the city or woodland expansion) that had a grammatical error, but that was it. everything looked pretty standard to me.

that being said, i didn't get a chance to see the FFG versions of city and woodland, but we were playing on FFG base board with frostmarch, and sacred pool. in addition to the GW city, woodland, reaper, and blood moon.

In the new Dragon expansion rulebook, the "Dragon Spawn" variant section is mostly cut off by the image, so it's incomplete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that's so sad... they are not changing the rules? I hoped the would update the terribly outdated rules and make it faster at least, a pity that they wasted this opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
Oh, that's so sad... they are not changing the rules? I hoped the would update the terribly outdated rules and make it faster at least, a pity that they wasted this opportunity.

?
Not sure what exactly you were hoping for. It is a reprint after all, not a new edition.
I could see incorporating errata-like changes into the rules, but outright changing them? Not very likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
borsook wrote:

?
Not sure what exactly you were hoping for. It is a reprint after all, not a new edition.
I could see incorporating errata-like changes into the rules, but outright changing them? Not very likely.

I was hoping for a new edition. The term reprint is used often for games that get a complete overhaul. They have to change a lot of things that FFG has copyrights to, why not change the rules too? It would not take a lot of effort. As it is the game is basically broken by modern standards and I hoped they would do something about that, at least taking some ideas from the 3rd edition to make it faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
at least taking some ideas from the 3rd edition to make it faster.

That's a statement I have heard before. What is it about 3rd ed. that was supposedly faster?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norairo wrote:
borsook wrote:

That's a statement I have heard before. What is it about 3rd ed. that was supposedly faster?

You could get to the inner lands for one coin via the bridge and there was just one combat to get into the tower, without all the trials. I understand many players like those elements of the game, but due to those changes 3rd was a race and usually played in an hour. Now the amount of choices in Talisman is fine for an hour-long game, but as is 4th tends to run closer to 3 hours and then it gets really tedious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Svens Daerthe
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi all! Here is the link to the page for TALISMAN Revised 4th edition by Games Workshop! Seem to be the exact same version and box as the one from Fantasy Flight Game...

Not sure, if it was the case but the expansions boxes seem slightly different (Softbox vs Hardbox Cover?)

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/talisman

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
Text coming soon... probably...
badge
Get tipsy and fight a farmer with Strength 3
mbmbmbmbmb
I've uploaded the first part of an overview of GW's 2017 reprint of Talisman and its expansions today on Talisman Island.

There are lots of comparison pics for those interested and a look at some new content in the main game.

Talisman, The Blood Moon and The Harbinger are covered today, and the remaining expansions will be added towards the weekend in part two.

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=8435

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Really pleased by the way they handled this. No reason to mess with something that already worked perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norairo wrote:
Awesome! Really pleased by the way they handled this. No reason to mess with something that already worked perfectly.

Have you played it four players?? The game is far far too long

But I do like the colour rings for the minis, very helpful. Pity this is the only change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex C
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, plenty of times. We use the 5-trophy points per upgrade speed rule. It's still a pretty long game though but that's the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordegast wrote:
boxesofcats wrote:
grarrrg wrote:
boxesofcats wrote:
isearch wrote:

In the new Dragon expansion rulebook, the "Dragon Spawn" variant section is mostly cut off by the image, so it's incomplete.

Just to let you know, I've checked the new Dragon rulebook, and although a some of the text is obscured slightly by the dragon image on Page 17, the rest of the Dragon Spawn rules continue over on Page 19.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon New
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just uploaded the second part of the overview of the latest reprinting of Talisman and its expansions by Games Workshop.

Today I've added in the Reaper, Dragon, City and Woodland expansions!

http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=8496

I hope you find it useful! Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norairo wrote:
borsook wrote:

Levelling up was much much, faster.
In 5th edition, whenever you win a battle you gain 1XP for each of the opponents strength/craft. 7XPs will gain you a pip. This system is faster for 3 reasons:

1 - You always have "exact change". No saving up trophies for a round number.

2 - You gain XP for fighting all creatures - not just enemies (eg, battles in the Crags, etc).

3 - XPs earned from battle or psychic combat are interchangeable.

I prefer this method to 2nd/4th myself (2nd was terrible because you don't keep craft trophies at all). We play 4th with the optional rule to level up with 5 points not 7, and progression is still vastly slower than 3rd edition. Also the purple XP cones look fab.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.