Subject: + and ++ Usage -- and question about the discounted power plant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ward
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had the game for a good while but finally got around to playing it today. One thing I couldn't quit figure out was what the deal is with the + and ++ piles. I understand they are placed in their own piles, but I'm not sure what else sets them apart and when to use them.

In one video I saw the person discarding the used resource cards onto the + pile. Something also indicated to me that you would use (maybe) the ++ pile to fill the 1 electro column in case someone buys a 2 (or 3) resource card but is only able to accept 1 (or 2) resources into their collection and the remainder are put into the 1 electro column.

But I'm not sure that is correct as I think I only saw that on a video and couldn't find it in the rules.

So if anyone could help clarify: 1) where you discard to, and 2) what the different + and ++ piles are used for.

One more question: 3) is the only time you take out the lowest value power plant when nobody purchased it during their turn? (4) Also, is it correct that the bidding for the discounted power plant starts at 1 electro?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kovajatka wrote:
So if anyone could help clarify: 1) where you discard to, and 2) what the different + and ++ piles are used for.

One more question: 3) is the only time you take out the lowest value power plant when nobody purchased it during their turn? (4) Also, is it correct that the bidding for the discounted power plant starts at 1 electro?

1) You discard to the discard pile. (see #2)

2) The + cards are put in the discard pile so the first time the discards are shuffled, they are effectively added into the resource deck. (That's why in the video the person discarded to the pile with the + cards.)
The ++ are put in the discard pile after the first time discards are shuffled so when they are shuffled a second time, more resource cards are added to the resource deck.

3) Low numbered power plants are removed from supply if:
a) a replacement power plant with a printed number lower than the printed number of the discounted power plant. (remove the newly drawn power plant from the game and remove the discount token from smallest plant)
b) If nobody buys the discounted power plant, it is removed from the game after the auction phase is over.

4) Yes, the starting bid can start at 1E, but it does not have to. The starting bid may always be above the minimum bid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kovajatka wrote:
Something also indicated to me that you would use (maybe) the ++ pile to fill the 1 electro column in case someone buys a 2 (or 3) resource card but is only able to accept 1 (or 2) resources into their collection and the remainder are put into the 1 electro column.

If you need to make resource change, there should be 7 cards that are singles. They have a slightly different back compared to the other resource cards to help identify them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ward
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

So you just fish those out of the draw pile and put them in the 1-electro column?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kovajatka wrote:
Thanks.

So you just fish those out of the draw pile and put them in the 1-electro column?

They should never be in the draw pile (which is why they have a different back). No fishing required!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For #3, there's two additional triggers to removing the lowest plant from the game, both of which in the 3rd phase

If you ever need to reshuffle the Resource deck (which, as Amanda has said, is how the + and ++ resource cards get added to the game), and

If you had to set up for the final round during the Auction phase of a round (right when the 1x card is drawn, shuffle whatever remains from the plant deck to set up the final round deck, then put the 1x card in the Most expensive plant slot. At the end, after you check to see if the discount plant is still available, you remove the lower card. Yes, you can burn through 2 lower plants this way). In this case, instead of putting the largest plant on the bottom of the deck, you remove the smallest plant in the market and replace it. This removal is also independent from the Resource reshuffle removal.

For the Excess resources (the unique backed ones), I put them out into 4 piles for the 4 resources available, quicker to get than to search a stack for the proper one, in my experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ward
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.