Subject: Block game for kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
I totally dig the for of war and strength steps via rotation of block wargames. I only own Crusader Rex, because I lack opponents, but I thought I might address that by trying to lure my kids into it. Before I just try writing simplified rules for Wizard Kings and picking that up for its neat-looking units, is there anything out there already which uses blocks similarly and is well-suited to children?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Paul Messerly
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quebec 1759 Has a simpler and cleaner ruleset and the smaller map makes for fast games. The theme of wizard kings is great but I always found the rules frustrating... maybe you could start with Quebec and eventually start adding in wizard kings blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
mermuse wrote:
Quebec 1759 Has a simpler and cleaner ruleset and the smaller map makes for fast games. The theme of wizard kings is great but I always found the rules frustrating... maybe you could start with Quebec and eventually start adding in wizard kings blocks.

Yeah, this is the simplest I’d heard of. I fear it wouldn’t grab my kids too easily because the historical conflict seems likely to interest them little, and the aesthetics of the game don’t aim to be flashy at all. I’d love to play it myself, but if this is the best alternative, I think I’d rather try my Wizard Kings with custom simplified rules plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the kids are new to the concept of block games, don't underestimate the fun of Stratego.

But if you want a true block wargame, then indeed Wizard Kings sounds like your best bet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikomakhos
msg tools
Not a war game, but an even better "Stratego" is Knizia's Lord of The Rings: The Confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.