Subject: Confusing rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Daly
United States
hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Maybe it’s just us, but my wife and I own over 200 different games, yet we seem to have more problems trying to understand the rules of this one game than any other game we’ve ever played. We are constantly looking up clarifications in the rule book, in these bgg forums, and on videos. Does anyone else feel this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mh, I found the rules to be very well laid out and written. Sure I had to come to BGG once or twice for clarifications, but all in all I had an easy time reading and understanding.

Often it comes down to understanding the core mechanics and the gameplay intentions of the designer and then everything else suddenly makes sense under those aspects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Daly
United States
hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I think we have a pretty good grasp of the core mechanics, but minor clarifications like: can a time castaway enter the volcano space? does a tail attack require a check of multiple dice vs multiple dice or one die vs the tail attack value? Does repelling require using an ammo and a willpower, and does it count as "combat" as specified on certain items? We've found most of the answers we were looking for, but it wasn't always easy. We like the game, but have a hard time not getting frustrated over the fact that each time we've played, we've spent more time looking up some of these rule clarifications than we spent playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EDaly26 wrote:
I think we have a pretty good grasp of the core mechanics, but minor clarifications like: can a time castaway enter the volcano space? does a tail attack require a check of multiple dice vs multiple dice or one die vs the tail attack value? Does repelling require using an ammo and a willpower, and does it count as "combat" as specified on certain items? We've found most of the answers we were looking for, but it wasn't always easy. We like the game, but have a hard time not getting frustrated over the fact that each time we've played, we've spent more time looking up some of these rule clarifications than we spent playing the game.

This is echoed by quite a few folks who are frustrated by the rules. In fact it's a common theme if you look at the comments of the ratings of the game here. So, no, you're not alone.

I like the game enough to plow through it. Sounds like you do, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nemisis
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dienes wrote:
Mh, I found the rules to be very well laid out and written. Sure I had to come to BGG once or twice for clarifications, but all in all I had an easy time reading and understanding.

Often it comes down to understanding the core mechanics and the gameplay intentions of the designer and then everything else suddenly makes sense under those aspects.

Too bad we're not mind readers able to discern intentions of the designer. That's what good rule books are for. Perhaps the German translation was much better than the English because that one sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like to compile a list of questions, I'll be happy to answer them here for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nemisis wrote:
Too bad we're not mind readers able to discern intentions of the designer. That's what good rule books are for. Perhaps the German translation was much better than the English because that one sucks.

There is no German version of the game. So even as non-native speaker I've had no trouble with the English rules.

Maybe intentions was the wrong word here. I usually have to read the rules once front to back to get a general feel for the game, then do the setup and play a few turns strictly by the book. At that point I usually understand the core mechanics and flow of the game, which I use as a base to apply more involved situations on top.

There are many rule books out there that really "suck", but I don't think this is one of them. Or maybe I am a mind reader after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:
If you'd like to compile a list of questions, I'll be happy to answer them here for you.

Thanks! Here are a few recent threads that need answers:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1904560/sentry-bot-timing

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1904556/two-questions-volun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McKinnon
msg tools
mbmbmb
When you’re using ammo and will to repel, does your brawn total get modified by whatever amount bonus the weapon gives or is that bonus only for when ammo is used for straight up Dino killing?

Sweet game, it’s hitting the table for me and my kids every week since I got it for Christmas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tylorio wrote:
When you’re using ammo and will to repel, does your brawn total get modified by whatever amount bonus the weapon gives or is that bonus only for when ammo is used for straight up Dino killing?

Sweet game, it’s hitting the table for me and my kids every week since I got it for Christmas!

Your brawn bonus is the same either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.