designer
badge
mb
BLITZKRIEG

Realistic GAME of Lightning Warfare

Product No. 700
Copyright date 1965
$6.98 list price

A strategic scale game depicting the battle between the fictional nations Great Blue and Big Red.

This was the first "monster" among the Classics. It features three mapboards and two full-sized counter sheets. Terrain features on the map are named after Avalon Hill staffers.

In 1969, competitor SPI published a variant package intended to enhanced the realism of the game. Blitzkrieg was revised by AH in 1975 and remained in the AH lineup into the early nineties.

The game I examined to create this manifest was in new, unplayed condition.

Components:

• 8"x10" Instruction folder (4 pages) marked with product number and copyright 1965

• 5-1/2"x8-1/2" Battle Manual (16 pages) marked copyright 1965

• 10"x8" Time Record Card, two-sided blue card marked with product number and copyright 1965

• Two 8"x10" Order of Appearance cards, one blue and one pink, marked with product number and copyright 1965

• 8"x10" two-sided gold Attrition Table card, marked with product number copyright 1965

• Two 7-7/8"x10-7/4" counter sheets, one blue and one pink, each containing 195 1/2" counters (6 blue blanks, 8 pink blanks)

• Three 22"x14" mapsheets mounted on blue boards attached at adjoining shorter edges by a strip of black tape, east mapsheet marked copyright 1965

• 1/2" yellow six-sided die with slightly recessed pips. (This yellow die may be an anomaly since all of the other copies I've seen have had white dice.)

• 14-1/8"x11" inner cardboard tray with a description of game and list of components printed on it. This tray fits into the box bottom so that the mapboard can rest on top of it and the components can be stored underneath. (I have also seen copies of Blitzkrieg that use the standard pair of smaller counter trays that were used in the other Classics.)

• 3-1/4"x5-1/2" REG CARD, orange registration postcard

• 5-1/2"x3-1/4" DO A FRIEND A FAVOR magenta postcard

Adapted from my article In Memoriam: Revisiting the Avalon Hill "Classics"
originally published in issue 3 of Simulacrum, October 1998

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rauh
United States
St. Peter
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this "labor of love." And the price in 1965 is interesting. I didn't buy mine until 1975 or so and I remember saving up paper route money so I could bike down and get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.