David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All

I acquired a used but excellent copy of AA 1942 (2nd) some time ago for little money but never got round to playing it. However, I've now bought into the new Anniversary 2017 version at a much greater cost and so I'm determined to get this up and running.

Over the time I've had the games I have skim read both rule books to get a feel for the game but from this only achieved an appreciation of each rule set.

I know the games are 5 armies V. 6 armies with possibly a slight difference in the composition of each army/navy but are there any great differences in the rules between the games?

I'm assuming mastery of one set would enable quick mastery of the other

Thank you for your help and guidance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The core rules are very similar, but there are some differences (a few of them very subtle). This game introduced the foundation of the rules on which all of the current games are based, but some further improvements were made after its publication. Some of the larger differences include the way AAA and strategic bombing are handled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for coming back to me, Kevin.

I read the rules for 1942 some months ago and I'm half way through Anniversary as I write. So far the core rules for both games seem very similar but, as you say, its the subtle rules that go unnoticed until the game is played in detail.

I must say that the game looks fantastic and I'm very much looking forward to holding a trial game to iron out the rules.

All the best
Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.