Marek Spychalski Maaku
Poland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello! First Martians! We have a cool contest for you – create an Adventure for the Research Deck and win Extra ROI tiles promo!

The rules are simple – create your own Adventure for the Research Deck. Use science tropes or go crazy, make it fit the story behind First Martians and your event may even end up in the companion app! You have time until November 10 to post your ideas and we will judge them and choose the winner until the end of the month.
This is you unique opportunity, to co-create content for the First Martians board game!

Post your Adventures in the comment (Only one Adventure per comment!) section down below in the following format:

Title
Fluff
Rule
Future consequence

(we leave ourselves right to change events for balance issues).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title: Cookie Caper

Fluff: “I am sure that I locked the snack closet in the lab. Hey! Who ate half of the cookies?”

Rule: Increase stress by 2. Decrease stored food by 1.

Future Consequence: First player's choice: Decrease stored food by 2 or advance stress token to 18 and resolve a fight immediately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Title
Use the damn SI

Fluff
"Someone used USCS to save all the research data, now you had to convert it to SI."

Rule
Put a [Blocked Token] in one of your pawns, you can't use this pawn next SOL, remove the [Blocked Token] in the Clean-Up Phase of next SOL.

Future consequence
"You created a program to convert units from USCS to SI, now this research will be completed earlier than expected."
You can use the Automated Research Assistant Pawn for the next 2 SOL.

EDIT:
USCS = United States customary system
SI = International System of Units
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Compromised Samples

Fluff: Looks like the generator gave out last night and the freezer temperature exceeded our acceptable range

Rule: place the [Re-roll success icon] token in the >>> space of the laboratory

Future Consequences: Not being stored properly has ruined any chance that these Samples can be used for our research

Move one sample left one space on the research track [easy]
Move all Samples left one space one the research track [medium]
Remove all Samples from the research track [hard]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Laboratory Etiquette

Fluff: Someone used all of our prepared reagents and didn’t make any more for today’s experiments.

Rule: place the [minus one action pawn] token in the >>> space of the Laboratory and increase stress by the number of astronauts plus 2

Future Consequence: The Laboratory is a mess, nothing is where it should be. It’s going to take all morning to get the Lab back in order.

place the [minus one action pawn] token in the >>> space of the Laboratory and increase stress by the number of astronauts [easy] plus 4 [medium] and pawns cannot support each other this round [hard]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Improper Airlock Seal

Fluff: During our excursion today, the airlock didn’t seal properly behind us. We’ll have to crank up the heaters and oxygenators to get the HUB habitable again.

Rule: Spend 2 energy and 2 oxygen from the general supply

Future Consequnce: Running the heaters for that long fried the CPU in one of the solar panels.

Is possible, exchange one green cube in the CPU of a solar panel with a red cube. Decrease one solar panel’s productivity by 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Who Prepared The Tanks?

Fluff: The Life Support Tanks were prepared with the improper ratio of Nitrogen and Oxygen today. It almost killed us and our colleague became hypoxic.

Rule: The resolving player must spend one action pawn at “a quiet place” next round

Future Consequence: i’m Starting to think it wasn’t an accident. Someone tried to suffocate me and leave me dead on the Martian soil.

Pawns cannot support other players this round. Stress plus 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Transmission from Home

Fluff: We received a transmission this morning, but the signal got scrambled. I can only barely make out my family’s faces in a few frames. I’m just so thankful to see them. I have to improve the clarity of this message!

Rule: Gain 2 (+) tokens

Future Consequence: I did it! The message has been fixed... but I learned my father has passed away while I was in tansit to Mars. I never even said Good-bye.

Decrease morale by 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Instruction Manual

Fluff: I need to put this together before calling it a day. I can either read the instruction manual or just put it together, besides i’ve Done this before.

Read Instruction Manual: done! Glad I read it, this model is more complicated than i’m Used to.

Future Consequences: None

Don’t Read Instruction Manual: Finished and with time to spare. I never understand why there are so many extra parts included with these things.

Gain 2 (+) tokens

Future Consequence: it’s possible those parts were more crucial than I originally thought

Roll malfunction dice: yellow [easy] + orange [medium] + red [hard]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Is that a Candy Wrapper?

Fluff: It looks like someone has been eating in the lab. I’ll have to shut down the lab and clean everything so we can maintain a sterile workspace.

Rule: Place a X token in the >>> space of the lab

Future Consequence: I think my candy became contaminated!

Any player besides the resolving player gains the poisoned condition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
msg tools
Title: Accidental Needle Stick

Fluff: While transferring Samples, I stuck myself with a syringe full of an unknown Martian substance

Rule: Suffer One Wound

Future Consequence: The injury has become infected and there’s no known cure.

Place a wound token on your player board. Every round until the token is removed you suffer one wound.

Find a cure: make a discovery on the research track to remove the wound marker from the player board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Cupit
msg tools
Title: Fat fingers

Fluff: Sterilizing lab equipment at the end of the day is usually very easy. Turn on the autoclave and set it for 30 minutes. But someone accidentally set it for 300 minutes! In the middle of the night the pressure seals burst and steam, water and broken glass shot out everywhere. It's a good thing no one was around.

Rule: Increase stress by 3. Assign 1 pawn to spend the morning mopping up.

Future consequence: Pooled water has seeped into the electronics conduits under the lab and caused a short circuit. This [electric] part is now broken.

(Partially sourced from this list of autoclave safety incidences. They use an autoclave at the Mars Desert Research Station in Utah for biological studies in a Mars analogue setting, so it's a plausible accident/adventure.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Schultz-Nielsen
msg tools
Title Sample knock out
Fluff You knock over a sample
Rule Remove a sample if possible from the cargo bay.
Future consequence nothing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Schultz-Nielsen
msg tools
Title Sample drop
Fluff You drop a sample but luckily you prevent it from hitting the floor using your foot.
Rule Nothing happens
Future consequence The sample was damaged even though you were quick on your feet. Remove one sample from the cargo bay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Schultz-Nielsen
msg tools
Title Blue Autoclave?!
Fluff You open the autoclave after a routine sterilization and get a shock when you see that everything is blue
Rule Increase stress by 4
Future consequence after investigation of the autoclave you figured out is was just a blue sharpie that exploded. Reduce stress by 4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Schultz-Nielsen
msg tools
Title Imperial Units
Fluff Someone used Imperial Units so you are left with 1 yard metal pole when you needed 1 meter. But you engineer your way out of it
Rule Nothing
Future consequence You go through a lot of pages of math to correct all the Imperial Units to SI. You can only use 1 pawn this turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Schultz-Nielsen
msg tools
Title Something strange
Fluff A dark and sticky substance moved up the walls of the hub and into the air vent without you seeing it.
Rule Nothing happens
Future consequence The dark substance moves through the Hub Nothing happens

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title:
Now that's odd

Fluff:
When analyzing your results, there was something odd about the way the noise looked, as if it was not random.

Rule:
During the next Sol, the player must spend at least one pawn to do a special research action to further analyze the data. Get two [morale tokens] for each pawn spent.

Future consequence:
HUB: MCEI, we analyzed the noise in the data and it appears to represent a sequence of prime numbers! Please see our attached report.
MCEI: Yeah, right. You could have come up with something less cheesy. Also, are you seriously spending critical mission time on SETI while behind schedule?! You are ordered to cease all further research on this "signal" and get back to mission critical activities. [morale -1].

Inspirations:
Carl Sagan's "Contact"
Isaac Asimov's quote: "The most exciting phrase in science is not Eureka! but 'That's funny'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Title:
Nothin' tea

Fluff:
During your experiments, there was a hazardous leak that contaminated some of your food supply. In particular, all tea was compromised. You tried to experiment with alternatives. Nothin' tea is easy to make. First, get some hot water, then add nothin'. You also experimented with potato skin tea. The less said about that, the better.

Rule:
Food reserve - 2

Future consequence:
Morale -1

Inspiration:
"The Martian" by Andy Weir. (Note that some of the fluff is close to a quote from the book, I hope that would not violate copyright.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krikor Arakelian
Bulgaria
Plovdiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Title:
Curious mineral
Fluff:
You found and interesting rock - could be a new mineral or even a focil, but it looks very fragile.
Rule:
Spend a pawn to take a research action and gain 2 morale tokens.
Future consequence:
You took your time before tending to the sample and now it is unusable. The harsh conditions on the planet's surface may have preserved it, but the controlled environment of your lab took it's toll from the sample. Decrease morale by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krikor Arakelian
Bulgaria
Plovdiv
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Title:
A quiet night in the storm
Fluff:
The storm is raging, so you better spend time together playing board games to unwind a little, as you are all free and on the edge right now.
Rule:
Each astronaut assign a pawn and gain 2 morale tokens.
Future consequence:
Each of you killed their time in his own way and now you are more strangers to each other than ever. Decrease morale by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And here it is, 1st of December and we close the November contest! I'd like to thank everybody for all their ideas and thank everybody who participated!

After reading all entries, we decided that we'll choose 3 winners. Here they are:

1. Bum8888 for Manual adventure, because it's cool idea to give a player a simple and super thematic choice.

2. Kcspaceman for Fatfingers adventure, because he did some real research and put real science into the game!

3. Soeren Schultz for Blue autoclave adventure, because ppl complain that FM is toooo serious and we need some funny adventures in the game too!

Your ideas will be edited a little bit to match final wording of the game, and will be added to the game!

Please, contact us at portal (at) portalgames.pl with your shipping address so we can also send you some cool awards - promos for First Martians!

Thank you everybody and see you soon with another contest for the game. Let's add more and more content to this app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Winston Spencer
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to the winners

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Cupit
msg tools
Thank you! And congrats to the other winners! More bling for First Martians, I like it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren Schultz-Nielsen
msg tools
Nice I won something
cant wait to see it in game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls