Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojciech Gołowkow
Poland
Gliwice
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's not a lot of interaction in the game, but there are moments when you really want a particular expansion and to make sure you do, you want to be the first to make your turn.

The rulebook is quite straightforward about that, but as it's not a common mechanism in euro games, i thought i'll ask for clarification.

In the Planning phase section of the rules, it says:
Quote:
The starting player is the first to declare his planning over; then the other players follow clockwise until all players have
signaled that they have finished their planning.

So it seems like there's a race to finish planning first and grab the alpaca standee to be the first to execute your turn in action phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you are misinterpeting this. Another way to read it:

When you are the starting player, you are the first to declare your planning over. Then, in clockwise order, all other players declare their planning over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Malz
Germany
Vechelde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
When you are the starting player, you are the first to declare your planning over. Then, in clockwise order, all other players declare their planning over.

That's the correct interpretation.

Best regards
Stefan Malz

[Editor for Altiplano]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Gołowkow
Poland
Gliwice
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt Mueller
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malzspiele wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

Best regards
Stefan Malz

[Editor for Altiplano]

This is still confusing to me. The explanation given above makes it seem like “IF you are already the first player, you are the one who MUST declare first that their planning is over.” This makes no sense to me. Also, why would all of the other player then declare that they are finished planning in clockwise order? Isn’t everyone done planning whenever they are done, regardless of their position at the table?

I feel like I should interpret the rule as follows:

If you are the first player to finish planning, you will be the start player in the Actions phase of the current round. Once all players have finished planning (regardless of the order in which this happens), the Actions phase will begin with the start player and play continues in clockwise order from there.

Please let me know if this makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
wamboyil wrote:
malzspiele wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

Best regards
Stefan Malz

[Editor for Altiplano]

This is still confusing to me. The explanation given above makes it seem like “IF you are already the first player, you are the one who MUST declare first that their planning is over.” This makes no sense to me. Also, why would all of the other player then declare that they are finished planning in clockwise order? Isn’t everyone done planning whenever they are done, regardless of their position at the table?

I feel like I should interpret the rule as follows:

If you are the first player to finish planning, you will be the start player in the Actions phase of the current round. Once all players have finished planning (regardless of the order in which this happens), the Actions phase will begin with the start player and play continues in clockwise order from there.

Please let me know if this makes more sense.

Probably because seeing what the player(s) before you is(are) doing might influence what you do (where you place your goods tiles), like when going to the market to buy an extension, for example. You can still *technically change the placement of your tiles after the player(s) before you has(have) signaled that he(they) is(are) done.

* The rules state that all players plan simultaneously. However, they also state that players declare their planning over in clockwise order, and that once a player declares his/her planning phase over, he/she can no longer relocate his/her tiles. This last part must have been deliberately included to allow for players after the starting player to adjust where their tiles go based on what the player(s) before them have done. It probably won't matter in most cases, but I can see where it could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
malzspiele wrote:
AernoutMJC wrote:

Best regards
Stefan Malz

[Editor for Altiplano]

Last night, we played exactly as outline by the OP, so he wasn't the only one confused with the language. I thought "hey, this is different than Orleans", when, in reality, it's exactly the same! lol. Thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I also understood this to mean there is a race to complete planning, and was confused by the rule which states the first player marker is passed to the left.
It is a great game but the rulebook leaves a great deal to be desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.