Jörg Schröder
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
badge
"The game is out there, and it's either play, or get played. That simple." (Omar)
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 is a superb game and I voted a 10 (which I do not do very often) so it deserves a spot in the hall of fame of board games. Period.

But is is a re-implementation of Pandemic.
So everybody, who hated Pandemic will not play and therefor not vote for Season 1 and the game is also designe to keep an isolated gaming group, you usualy do not mix it with others.
This is imo the reason for it leading the TOP-list here on BGG. Lets call it biased votes.

Now comes Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 and Gaia Project and I ask myself will we have re-implementations in the top 10, because of the effect of biased votes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
If yes, what does it matter? If no, what does it matter? (Serious questions, btw. And not in any way suggesting that the games in question 'don't deserve' a spot high up in the ranks.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Counting down to a ratings_episode_999,999 tag...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All votes are biased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
JoergBoerg wrote:
So everybody, who hated Pandemic will not play and therefor not vote for Season 1...

Have you seen all the hate '1' votes that PL1 (and now PL2) received from people who will never play the game? There's definitely some selection bias going on, but it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Schröder
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
JoergBoerg wrote:
So everybody, who hated Pandemic will not play and therefor not vote for Season 1...

Have you seen all the hate '1' votes that PL1 (and now PL2) received from people who will never play the game? There's definitely some selection bias going on, but it's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

Mmh, 21,000 votes for season 1 and only 371 '1' votes - that is not a lot of hate-votes... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Self-selection is definitely something to understand about the rankings. I won't torture myself playing (and ranking) a new version of a game I completely disliked. Not sure what there is to do about it.

You wouldn't want to exclude re-implemented games, since the latest one is what people would probably have the most interest in. It would be weird to not have a popular new game on the list.

Of course we do have the arbitrary rule that expansions don't make the list for pretty much the same reason. I was at a game convention this weekend and people would always mention Viticulture and Tuscany together. Seems to me that the combination should be able to be ranked as well.

And all this reminds me that BGG doesn't really rate the actual games in many cases, it rates boxes of stuff you can play a game with. Some game boxes contain more than one game, but you can only give one rating. Some games are quite different with different numbers of players, but you can only rate it overall. And some games play quite differently with an expansion (like Catan Cities and Knights) and you can rate it, but it won't make the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.